1. Mary C
    Mary C August 18, 2012 at 7:08 am | | Reply

Hi Wil, Bethany should also consider Raynaud’s disease. This condition affects the nerves most often in the hands and/or feet making them extremely sensitive to the cold or feel like ice even when it’s not cold out. It often shows up as a “secondary” disease alongside other autoimmune diseases, including Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Graves’ disease, lupus, Sjögren’s Syndrome, scleroderma, and rheumatoid arthritis, among others, (like T1D).

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell August 20, 2012 at 6:41 am | | Reply

Wil, I’ve had a number of low seizures in recent years. My psycho-pharmacologist (not a crazy doctor that gives me illicit drugs) said that one of the anti-depressive medicines was on could “lower my seizure threshold”. Something else to think about. It’s why I’ve let me A1Cs remain in the mid 7s.

3. David Downs
    David Downs August 20, 2012 at 8:01 am | | Reply

Will,

Bravo for the A1c comment! My experience has been exactly the same … anything below the low sixes is a dangerous dance with severe hypos. Sometimes I think all Type 1′s are thinking “If I could just drop another couple tenths.” Personally, I love the “strive for 6.5″ slogan made popular by Team Type 1.

4. valerie
    valerie August 24, 2012 at 6:39 am | | Reply

Coming at this from another angle–look into acid/alkaline balanced diet–rich in vegetables & whole grains. bodies in a sugar state are acid. fungus (and cancer) thrives in sugar. acid bodies are cold. following cancer diagnosis & treatment, and diet change toward alkaline, my lifelong always cold self warmed right up–flipflops in the winter!
    Nursing is very rewarding–stay strong & good luck through school.

5. Nancy
    Nancy August 25, 2012 at 8:10 am | | Reply

Wow! I have never considered that I might have had a seizure with my low during the night. I am a Type 2 and do have occasional lows during the night. I take a combo of insulin/metformin/januvia. Something I have noticed is that I will wake up slowly having the feeling that I am argueing with myself mentally that I am having a low and should get up and test. I will go back and forth in my mind saying no I am not and yes I am and no I am not . . . on and on until finally I wake up enough to know that I am indeed most likely low and when I do a check I am usually between 35 and 50. I chew some glucose tabs or drink a mini can of coke and go back to sleep. I d not usually wake up with a high on those occasions or a headache ( I guess because I have treated the low rather than let it treat itself). It seems weird to me to think that I may have had a seizure. Again I say Wow! thx for the info, I have learned quite a lot reading your articles and thank you very much.

6. W Type-1
    W Type-1 January 2, 2014 at 11:28 pm | | Reply

A1c – Oh Well, I strive for 4.5 -
    YOU CAN DO IT if you minimize insulin (and minimize carbs BTW).
    The healthy range for People without diabetes is 4.5 to 4.8
    NOT 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, you can do it if you minimize insulin. I went from almost 60U per day to less than 10U per day and I have never feel better (on a zero-carb-diet. Yes, I bolus for protein.)