1. June S
    June S August 27, 2012 at 5:20 am | | Reply

This is all incredibly exciting, and my thanks go especially to this amazing Dad of a diabetic boy! After 40 years of this illness (and, thankfully, no complications) I can still recall my excitement at getting my first blood glucose meter. As a current MM CGMS wearer, I think it’s interesting that the Abbott Navigator is currently integrated into this unit (everyone who wore one used to comment about its incredible accuracy) and it will be interesting to see how accurate the next generation DexCom is. My trial experience with DexCom in 2008 produced way too many ???’s instead of blood glucose readings, especially during the night. I keep thinking that the biggest challenge to creating a bionic pancreas will be the accuracy of its CGMS. If it ever gave erroneous readings, I don’t think its wearers could be safe from severe hypo- or hyperglycemia. It will be interesting to see the developments in this device, over time. I’ll gladly try one (and, since I’m ultra-compliant, the researchers wouldn’t need to worry that I would become lax in my habits!)

2. Amy Halvorson Miller
    Amy Halvorson Miller August 27, 2012 at 10:07 am | | Reply

I will remember this, as our recently diagnosed son is the same age as Mr. Damiano’s. How exciting that a d-dad is at work on the artificial pancreas!

3. Tim
    Tim August 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm | | Reply

There is nothing more encouraging in this process than the fact that Mr. D. has a son and wants the best for him in treatment. A father (or a mother) with that incentive and the requisite technical competence is a force to be reckoned with. I don’t want any more children to have to deal with this disease, but until the cure all I can say is, “Go, Dad!”

4. Monica Clark
    Monica Clark August 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm | | Reply

As a parent, this story brought me to tears, because I would do anything for my children as well. I think this research is so promising and I hope that it will yield advancements towards a cure for all types of Diabetes. Thank you Mr. Damiano for your contribution to the diabetic community and the human population.

5. John
    John August 28, 2012 at 7:11 am | | Reply

I think the last paragraph says it all…. The technology is not nearly close to being ready and CGSM are still more of a trending device then a replacement for finger sticks. I really wish the $ millions were spent in encapsulation and improving the beta cell lines..

Technology fails a lot in our world and if this fails it could cost someone their life.

6. Diabetic Survival Kit
    Diabetic Survival Kit September 1, 2012 at 4:23 am | | Reply

Fantastic research. There is a Diabetes/Technology conference in Boston in the middle of October. I hope this will be one of technological advances presented. I will share the newest and the latest advances mentioned at this conference.

7. Gary
    Gary October 6, 2012 at 3:49 am | | Reply

I agree with John. These devices will never IMO replicate what you endocrine system / beta cells do naturally. We need a biological fix not a mechanical one. Most diabetics that are extremely on top of their condition get fairly good control even with injections, I’ve opted to stay on shots vs pumps for a variety of reasons. My money is on encapsuation of transplanted cells even though that would really not cure diabetes either. It will hopefully allow insulin independence with tight glucose control. Viacyte has a very interesting program in development with encapsulated IPS cells and they are supposedly getting near human trials, There is lots of interesting research and progress going on but unfortunately nothing is near ready for the people that desperately need it.

8. James
    James November 22, 2012 at 11:12 pm | | Reply

Would be awesome to have this tech sooner than later. Anything mechanical will break down or malfunction at some point in time. Could be a day two days a wek 10 years that is always there with a mechanical device. Its a great Idea its a great project and will help people out that can use it. There are many out there that need this as soon as possible rather 5-10 years down the road. Thank you for your dedication on this Dr Damiano I am sure there will be lives that you will save from your dedication. I hope that the Goverment dont get in the way when this is ready to go on the market. Thank you for all you have done May God bless you and may God open up more technoligys to this and find a way to make it more natural.

9. What Do You Know and Use Everyday? Share with Us. | Diabetes Dad

[...] management tools like the artificial pancreas (read Diabetes Mine’s great article about Ed Damiano who has clearly become the leader in this research) and of course the research for a cure is always [...]

10. Comments starting 5/16/2013 | t1df
    Comments starting 5/16/2013 | t1df June 22, 2013 at 8:13 pm |

[...] days. It’s very cool. We haven’t written about it yet but you can see a great piece on DiabetesMine and here is a video of the head researcher. I just mention this because it seems like it is [...]

11. Robert Damiano
    Robert Damiano November 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm | | Reply

.Having had pancreatic surgery and having someone w/ my surname develop this artifical pancreas has really shocked me . Luckily I’m only borderline diabetic but I will pass this on to a Whipple surgerical group on facebook. I’m really proud to see someone with my surname come up w/ a much needed device . Thank you Ed Damiano

12. 3 Latest News Breaks in Emerging Tech, June 23 2014

[...] insulin. Insulin is vital for converting starches and sugar into energy. A recent report in Diabetes Mine gives new hope to diabetes I sufferers in the form of a bionic pancreas. Inspired by his diabetic [...]

13. Larry
    Larry September 17, 2014 at 1:31 pm | | Reply

How can one DONATE to this man and His Cause!
    *I am a D-Dad and the world needs more people like this Dad.
    -Do donations to JDRF go to this man