1. Terry
    Terry July 26, 2012 at 8:31 am | | Reply

I read with interest your discussion on insulin degrading due to heat. I’m currently visiting the Midwest where the temps are in the 90s. I wear an insulin pod and wonder what the constant exposure to body heat combined with high ambient temps does to my insulin. I had one bad day of elevated BGs that I wrote off as degraded absorption; I wonder if the heat played a role. I’m interested in Insulet’s official position on this issue. Thanks for the info.

2. SJ
    SJ July 26, 2012 at 8:34 am | | Reply

We had some insulin go bad about a week ago. No amount of increased basal or corrections seemed to have much effect. Unfortunately, it took a couple days to finally figure it out because our daughter’s BG and insulin needs have been all over the map anyway. When a syringe and doubled basal rate one day did nothing (we were not at home, so I was desparate!) I finally realized it had to be the insulin. After a speed limit challenging drive home, I tossed it out and started over with new insulin. Bingo – everything was fine. We keep our “traveling” vial in a FRIO, but I must have let it get too dry to leave sitting in the car one day.

1. david
      david July 27, 2012 at 2:40 am | | Reply

good detective work or deductive thinking on that one. Glad too that it worked out without a ‘major’ incident.

Its also a good clue for others.

3. Amy Halvorson Miller
    Amy Halvorson Miller July 26, 2012 at 8:36 am | | Reply

Thanks for this! I’m also interested in how much we should protect test strips from heat. Coincidentally, the Bayer Contour strips label says to store them between 48-86 degrees F.

4. Eileen
    Eileen July 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm | | Reply

Comparing insulin to eggs is interesting. Eggs are incubated for three weeks at temperatures about 99º to 102º. Seems to work okay for chickens! The question about how long insulin can be kept safely at high temps and for how long needs to be addressed in a laboratory if it hasn’t already.

5. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie July 26, 2012 at 4:48 pm | | Reply

Another anecdote to add to the mix (apologies if I have posted this before). I lived on a sailboat for 5 years (2005 -2010) almost always in warm to hot to very hot temperatures.

Did I mention their was no AC?

On a pump, each cartridge would last approx. 10 days before running out. I maybe had two cartridges that I threw out early due to “bad” insulin. For me, temperature concern was essentially a non-issue.

I did keep ALL my insulin opened or not, in the refrigerator.

6. Scott
    Scott July 26, 2012 at 7:40 pm | | Reply

I have a carrying case that I use to carry all my insulin supplies – insulin, syringes, test strips, finger pokey thingies, etc. It fits perfectly into a PackIt.

Scott

7. david
    david July 27, 2012 at 2:41 am | | Reply

the temperatures inside a car in an already hot environment can get pretty extreme. The midwest really is having a tough time right now. It is amazing how hot it can get outside.

8. Sue
    Sue July 28, 2012 at 9:58 am | | Reply

I have used animal insulin for 47 years the last 5 being used in a pump. Not once in all those years have I ever had problems with off or bad insulin.. Reading many forums over the years I have to say it does shock me as to how much insulin is ditched due to it being bad (analogues & synthetic)

9. Keep Your Skin With These Healthy Tips – Best Health and Beauty Care

[...] Tracking Insulin’s Health in the Summer Heat [...]

10. Mathew John
    Mathew John August 5, 2012 at 12:10 pm | | Reply

I am an endocrinologist based in India. In our city, summer temperatures easily reach 102 F. We strongly advice all our patients to keep all vials, cartridges and pens in refrigerators. Many have found the advice confusing but eventually feel better.

11. What Temperature Should I Keep My Insulin? - Kewl Innovations, Inc. | Kewl Innovations, Inc.

[...] conducted a very thorough exploration of the temperature requirements for insulin. Their article, Tracking Insulin’s Health in the Summer Heat, captured the perspective of several different players in the world of diabetes, including insulin [...]

12. mike
    mike September 6, 2012 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Great article but when you mentioned ways to keep your temperature in the right temp range you missed a great new product that keeps insulin cool (and warm when it gets too cold) for 3-5 days using a self-contained rechargeable battery. It is the Kewl Innovations ClimaPak, check it out at http://www.kewlinnovations.com. I love mine!

13. Protecting Your *Other* Precious Cargo on a Summer Road Trip: Insulin and Diabetes Supplies | sweeten the trip

[...] more about safekeeping insulin, Wil Dubois of Diabetes Mine wrote an interesting article entitled Tracking Insulin’s Health in the Summer Heat describing the manufacturers’ storage temperature recommendations, what experts had to say [...]