1. Thoughts on Testing an Artificial Pancreas : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog | diabetes and more | Scoop.it

[...] By AmyT on July 11, 2012Kyle Rose is a former Team Type 1 cyclist and business development director for that group. He is now living in France, where he founded a consultancy called Delta PM Diabetes, focusing on chronic disease management in health care. Mainly, he advises companies in the diabetes management business on campaigns for products including insulin, drug delivery devices, and glucometers, as well as non-profit collaboration initiatives and medical/patient community outreach….  [...]

2. John
    John July 11, 2012 at 9:17 am | | Reply

I have a lot of concerns with how the JDRF, media and others are reporting on the AP. It comes across as a ‘functional cure’ and I think that is irresponsible.

As a 31 year T1 and a pump user for 15 years, I understand the ‘art of pumping’, the carb counting, adjustments and etc .. but what my pump can’t figure out is how to handle stress induced hyerglycemic events. I can tell you that these happen far too often for me and I can literally bolus unit after unit and nothing happens. It’s not a site issue because once the stress is eliminated, the sugars will eventually recede to a more normal level and then I crash into a hypoglycemic event.

The AP is just another tool that ‘might’ offer better control but don’t sell it as anything more than that.

My other concerns; CGSM and their accuracy (we know this is a big issue and why INS companies are slow to afford coverage for them), AP pump cost, accessory costs, insulin costs? By the way, the picture above makes it look like you need to wear a utility belt if you have the AP but there seems to be a few different makes of pumps shown for marketing reasons.

3. David
    David July 11, 2012 at 9:33 am | | Reply

I see good effort being made to improve our options beyond the open loop. With insurance DME copay at 50%, pump and CGM are not options for me, though.

4. Tim
    Tim July 11, 2012 at 9:52 am | | Reply

I think Kyle’s concerns would be my concerns as well, though I have only a little over a year experience with mealtime insulin. I think that, at this point, before you get a device like this, you should be able to do it all yourself (at least until they can really prove it’s extremely reliable).

My Dad used to say, when he worked at a major electronics firm, “CAD (computer assisted drawing) is all very good, but what if the computer crashes or the power is out?” Draftsmen (and draftswomen) need to be able to do it by hand first.”

So do we.

5. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell July 11, 2012 at 10:30 am | | Reply

Thanks Kyle for giving us your experience with the AP. I wonder if you learned anything else, besides your comment about patience and correction boluses. I don’t ever expect the AP to be ‘perfect’ – whatever that may mean. But if I could reduce overnight variations, that would be a big win for me.

6. Vicki
    Vicki July 11, 2012 at 2:10 pm | | Reply

How useful is an insulin pump suspend during a low blood sugar…dah how long does it take to make an effect?

7. Nice Diabetes
    Nice Diabetes July 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm | | Reply

Although I agree with alot of the other posters concerns i.e. it cant be that simple, I strongly feel that Rome wasnt built in a day,
    We had to start somewhere
    When I was diagnosed 25 years ago, pen-fills was the most exciting thing to happen to diabetics. Now we almost think of pumps as old hat
    Im really happy to hear news like this and although I dont think its the big cure we are all after, I hope its a step in the right direction

8. Richard Vaughn`
    Richard Vaughn` July 12, 2012 at 7:04 am | | Reply

I have a friend who participated in an AP trial in Boston last year. They used the Navigator CGM as the primary device to determine blood glucose levels. The Navigator is much more accurate than the Dexcom7, I have tried both of them. I would not want to use an AP that depended on the Dexcom monitor. The AP could give me insulin when I was actually low, or glucose when I was actually high. I have used the Dexcom for more than a year and have found it to be too inconsistent and unreliable for the AP.

9. silver account
    silver account July 13, 2012 at 11:38 pm | | Reply

The primary limitation of the closed loop system with a continuous glucose monitor is the lack of portable and well calibrated continuous glucose monitoring. Even after the realization of the technology the patients will still need to replace the infusion set and the insulin container every few days, and live with an external needle connected to an external device. In addition, an insulin pump can release only insulin, but the pancreas and the islets in our device also produce glucagon. This means we provide a good solution to incidents low levels of blood glucose (hypoglycemia).

10. Orlando burgado
    Orlando burgado February 28, 2013 at 10:42 am | | Reply

My name is orlando . Im a diabetic pacient and i need help to manage my diabetes because i tried everythin to controled and i cant