1. David
    David July 27, 2012 at 7:53 am | | Reply

Congrats to Roche, the FDA is a beast. It is good to see more choices coming to the pump market with the Tslim imminent and the Combo soon. Vs the Ping, the Combo seems to require fewer button presses and the remote will be able to execute temp basals. I appreciate that it is the only pump that allows some customization (and thus the most Cozmo-like?). The default intervals for temp basals or multiwave bolusing can be customized. The configuration software also allows hiding unneeded screens for faster navigation.

2. Terry
    Terry July 27, 2012 at 10:49 am | | Reply

I wonder if Roche improved on the out-of-control scroll speed that plagues the Ping’s remote.

3. Tom Clark
    Tom Clark July 27, 2012 at 4:34 pm | | Reply

I would like to know more details about Combo functions. For example, does it track insulin on board and if so how is it computed?

4. Scott E
    Scott E July 27, 2012 at 5:15 pm | | Reply

There was an Accu-Chek Spirit pump years ago that, I believe, was taken off the market. I wonder why, and if this pump, other than the meter/remote feature, is any different.

1. Sonia
      Sonia August 10, 2012 at 1:39 am | | Reply

My own “take”, for what little it may be worth, is that the Roche Principles are at such a high level of getnraliey that they are not particularly helpful in day-to-day dealings. For example, it suggests that employees can speak “about Roche” in some kind of “personal capacity”, even if they are not speaking “for Roche” without providing clear groundrules about the permissible content of these communications. I submit that Roche employees, who are encouraged by the company to speak “about Roche” may be effectively acting as “agents” of the company and that their communications may be ascribed to the company for regulatory, legal, and other purposes. Absent clear rules about what things may be discussed, by whom, and how, I think the Roche Principles, while perhaps a “nice touch” from a PR/perception-of-transparency perspective, create more problems than they solve. I think that the reference in the Roche Principles to existing codes of conduct and standards are likewise “nice” but not too helpful in practice. There is way too much liability associated with company employees, who are encouraged by the company to speak on-line “about Roche” engaging in a variety of unmonitored and largely uncontrolled behavior that no one is even affirmatively monitoring. My own sense of all of this is that, to the extent pharma/biotech companies encourage engagement on-line, they need to be very clear on who has the authority and responsibility to speak “about the company” on line. Put differently, I have the strong sense that companies should not encourage open-ended dialogue “about the company” by any and every employee. This doesn’t mean companies should squelch speech by their employees. It simply means that, from my vantage point, companies should endeavor to control who is and is not authorized to speak both “for the company” and “about the company” on-line. If others do it, so be it. But at least there is a line in the sand and some control mechanism in place about who can do what to whom and when.ARNIE FRIEDE

5. David
    David July 27, 2012 at 6:50 pm | | Reply

@Tom Clark, I think the meter-remote will track insulin on board for corrections (but not meal boluses).

6. Jeff Mabon
    Jeff Mabon August 15, 2012 at 7:29 am | | Reply

Roche-

When can we expect to see the Solo pump sold in the US? It is very disappointing to me, a long time pump wearer, that Roche has what seems to be an awesome product with a number of benefits over the Omnipod, but is reluctant to release this simply because the controller lacks a bg meter! I have a week to make up my mind on a new pump. If Solo were an option I would jump all over it– hands down. It is very frustrating that Roche has FDA approval for this pump, that there are lots of other pumpers waiting for the Solo, and that Roche is simply holding out due to a business decision lack of built-in bg monitor that seems frankly, would not be a game changer. Insulet Omnipod is the only player out there in the US right now. The Omnipod seems inferior due to pod failure, large size/profile, lack of bolus control on the pump itself, and inability to know how much on board insulin is remaining. Elimination of these issues seem to far outweigh a meter built into the pod controller. I think I speek for the overwhelming majority of pumpers when I say that we want a reliable, non-intrusive system without tubing!!! The meter is secondary!!! I will be choosing the Animas Ping until I am eligable for a replacement, and will continue to wait on Roche’s release of the Solo. Also– (pay heed, Roche) it would be really nice for pumpers (who are always holding out hope for the next best piece of technology to improve our lives) to at least have an expectation of how long we will need to wait for the Solo. Hope springs eternal.

Jeff (still waiting)

7. Connected Insulin Pumps: Accu-Chek Combo vs. Animas Ping : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] An FDA approval of a new diabetes device is always an exciting thing, especially for a company that’s been in the holding pen for a while, waiting to get a device to market. That was the case this summer when Roche learned it had finally secured the regulatory agency’s OK for its Accu-Chek-Combo system. [...]

8. J Graham
    J Graham January 29, 2013 at 9:01 am | | Reply

It’s seems Roche don’t like replying to emails, have been trying for ages.
    I heard there will be a new pump soon with a prefilled cartridge, which for me would be great as I am blind. Do they think of accessibility when they design their pumps?? I’m not so sure.
    I know of blind people using pumps but most of them needed sighted assistance when filling the pump or with alarms.
    Can’t find any info on this new pump anywhere, the name i was given is Insight??
    Any help would be great.
    You’d think as more and more people are being diagnosed with diabetes and more and more are losing their sight that these people would be considered when the pumps are being designed. Hmmm

1. Paul
      Paul April 18, 2013 at 9:44 am | | Reply

I have heard that the Insight pump might becoming out in 2014 in the UK. I haven’t been able to find a lot out but I did stumble on these images on a product design website. Don’t know if they are accurate or real but they seem to mention self-filled cartridges as well as a cartridge filling system (2nd link)

Unfortunately there isn’t too much info at this site but it does look interesting.

1. J Graham
        J Graham May 12, 2013 at 2:07 am | | Reply

Excellent, couldn’t find this myself, at least it’s a start. Was promised a rep would call me back, months ago i contacted roche and i was passed to 6 to 8 different people, i think i got the same person a few times, they gave me the name of the old rep for northern ireland, I had to correct them, seems they don’t even know who’s working for them now. LOL. new rep was off on maternity.