1. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog July 21, 2012 at 4:31 am | | Reply

I haven’t purchased the Dex4 glucose shots because they are way too expensive, in my opinion, to use regularly. Shockingly expensive.

There is a new product on the market which is cheaper and may work just as well. Level Life is a 15 carb glucose gel that is in a tiny pouch that you tear open (maybe easier than the Dex4 shots?).

I met the founder of the company Ethan while at Friends For Life and he was very enthusiastic, not to mention incredibly nice!!

And as a side note, if you use a flexible spending account ask if you can use it for quick acting glucose. They might approve it, but you’ll need a prescription and receipts. If you are going through a ton of it, like your athletic daughter is, it might be worth the extra paperwork for the tax savings.

2. Jay Kauffman
    Jay Kauffman July 21, 2012 at 7:32 am | | Reply

I use Dex4 tablets a lot but those liquids are so overpriced that I can’t see how anyone can afford to use them regularly.

I carry honey around in several refillable “leak-proof” bottles that are sold for bringing shampoo with you on an airplane. Refill them as I need from a big bottle of honey, and have one in each bag that I carry around. If you are very active and try to keep your BG in control, you’ll probably need to take a swig of quick carb several times a week if not more often….and it’s easy to get used to measuring the amount in one “gulp”

also easy not to overdo it, honey is so concentrated and sickly sweet that it’s one form of sugar I never find tempting to snack on.

Hope this helps

3. Anne Findlay Dowling
    Anne Findlay Dowling July 21, 2012 at 11:57 am | | Reply

For sporting events, energy gels like Clif Shot can give a very fast boost. Each package typically has 25 g carbs and can be downed very quickly. I’ll take a swig of water to help wash it down. If you buy in bulk they are about $1 each but they are portable, very easy to open and more palatable than some of the glucose tabs/drinks (to me anyway). They also make solid gel-like blocks with 8g carbs each.

4. susan f
    susan f July 21, 2012 at 12:27 pm | | Reply

I’m concerned that your daughter NEEDED 160 g. Try minimizing carbs at meals prior to the match. A long tail on a bolus is probably pulling her down. For example, for an after school match, eat a nice normal carb breakfast, but a low or no carb lunch…

5. Dan
    Dan July 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm | | Reply

Yes, if your daughter needed 160 grams to cover, there is definitely an issue with insulin dosing.
    I would want to see her being somewhat stable so she knows she has to take about 5 grams of carbs every 15 minutes during an activity. So, she would pop a dex 4 tablet every 10 to 15 minutes based upon her output of activity.

No doubt, this is a difficult thing to manage. You have to compensate for the long acting insulin. In addition, if you take fast acting insulin, that insulin becomes so much more active during the activity.

For example, when I run 5 miles with some intervals, where this activity lasts 1 hour, I just drink coconut water (which as 15 grams of carbs and all the electrolytes I need). This usually covers me so I do not have to take 5 grams every 15 minutes.

But I will add, if I have taken fast acting insulin in the 2 hours before the activity, things become hard to predict because the insulin becomes so active.

What I have learned is that I try not to do any activity at least 2 hours after I have taken my apidra.

Managing blood sugar during exercise is the most challenging job around. It is extremely difficult.

But 160 grams of carbs to cover anything means too much insulin as front loaded leaving with you having to play catch up. In addition, those 160 grams of carbs are really just wasted calories.

6. Vicki
    Vicki July 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm | | Reply

Thanks Will for the Dex4fluid tip. Definitely worth carrying in the pocketbook for those whooper low blood sugars that we never know when they are coming!

7. S.J. Bradford
    S.J. Bradford July 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm | | Reply

I agree with the others that 160 g of carbs is a lot of carb loading.

When I trained in boxing and mma (I’m type 1, have been since I was 7, on short and long acting insulins) I used to chug a blended juice– Naked or Odwalla- before the 2 hour trainings. About 45-60 g carbs. I rarely had to have more than another 10-15 g half way through.

Two things factor in that haven’t been mentioned: the amount of training/exercise the day before (thigh muscles suck up carbs for up to 18 hours post exercise) and time of the month. Hormones can also affect (understatement!) blood sugars.

8. Pete
    Pete July 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm | | Reply

I, too, came down with diabetes (type 1) while on Accutane. I don’t know how you can state “Not to blame, no way”. That’s pretty definitive and I wonder how you can possibly be so confident of this.

9. Sharon
    Sharon July 24, 2012 at 10:43 am | | Reply

We use the

10. Sharon
    Sharon July 24, 2012 at 10:46 am | | Reply

Oops, hit the return button too fast:) We use the 100% juice boxes. Average carbs are 23-25 grams per box. Easy to carry, measured and quick. Down side may be the 100 calories per box, but those are easily burned.

11. Jennifer
    Jennifer December 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm | | Reply

I took Accutane in my 30′s and became type 1 diabetic. hmmm…. Research Retnoids/Retinol/13-cis-retnoic acid! It’s a Chemotherapy drug for rare cancers it’s pure poison!

12. Natalia
    Natalia June 28, 2013 at 3:19 pm | | Reply

:`( thats too bad, im going to cry, I didnt know that!