1. Tim
    Tim July 7, 2012 at 5:24 am | | Reply

@Janet: In conjunction with a food log and insulin log, using a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) may give you a better idea of what’s going on. I’m not on insurance, and I was shocked to discover that my medical provider would provide me with a 3-4 day CGM FREE OF CHARGE. I went in Thursday afternoon and will go in Monday afternoon to have the results gleaned from the CGM. As part of the process, they ask me to keep a food and insulin log (as well as exercise) and ask me to test my BG 4 times a day with a meter that communicates with the CGM.
    The reason I’m having this done? Just like your husband, I’m having issues with “bouncing” from high to low (and vice versa). Having a complete picture of BG for 3-4 days will let me know what’s going on at night and other mysterious times.

2. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter July 7, 2012 at 8:11 am | | Reply

Hooray for Luddites!

3. Tony Rose
    Tony Rose July 9, 2012 at 8:59 am | | Reply

RE: Food Logging

I’ve found MyFitnessPal to have a great tracking system for both exercise and food database. I have yet to come across some food that isn’t in their database. I also did a full review of it for the iPhone version.

4. Nancy
    Nancy July 13, 2012 at 3:35 am | | Reply

I have been using MyFitnessPal.com for 5 months and I love it. As Tony said it is a great tracking system for food and excersize and there database is huge. Plus it’s free! I can use it on my computer, my tablet, and my phone. My diabetes educator told me about it and I have found it to be very helpful.

5. Ruth Z Deming
    Ruth Z Deming July 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm | | Reply

as a type-2 for one year, i have a large notebook – tinkerbelle is on the cover – and i record the date, which hand i stick (i alternate), my glucose numbers and what i ate.

par example: 9:30 am 147 10units – omelette w veggies and 4 triscuits

the rest of today’s readings were all pretty good. i only injected 10 units all day – very unusual – b/c i exercised and didn’t eat too much

6. Robin
    Robin July 14, 2012 at 9:22 am | | Reply

I’m another myfitnesspal user and it’s great for tracking foods and carbs. I don’t believe it allows timestamps, so you have to rely on the breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack format.

When I was on MDI I also used Glucose Buddy, and would enter the carb, fat and protein grams for each meal in a note for the insulin log entry – gave me a great way to track everything together: BG, Insulin, Nutrition info.

Using the OmniPod now I’m entering the carb data from myfitnesspal into the PDM, and the insulin and BG data is stored in the same place, but it’s hard to look at it all together and the carbs only tell one part of the story… And I miss being able to look back smoothly and chronologically with Glucose Buddy.