1. Tim
    Tim June 28, 2012 at 2:49 pm | | Reply

Generally speaking, PWDs involved in the online diabetic community would probably be those who are most motivated to take care of themselves. Having more access to insurance means there may be a better chance that we can get more resources to help us manage our disease.

To me, the most important thing that ALL Americans should do is to take a long, hard look in the mirror and decide that taking care of themselves is NOT an option but an imperative. I hope to see doctors trying harder to get their patients more invested in their health. The healthier we all are, the less money we will have to spend on catastrophic health care later.

As I tell everyone when they ask, “can you eat that?”

“Yes, I can eat that. My diet is the way everyone is supposed eat, whether it is the food pyramid or the plate architecture method. Now, yes I CAN eat that piece of pecan pie, but it would mean I would have to increase my insulin dramatically and manage the outrageous high(s) sure to follow, so I CHOOSE not to.”

What I hope this legislation does is help Americans make better health care choices and prevent a lot of bad health outcomes.

2. M.C.Mays Pulliam
    M.C.Mays Pulliam June 28, 2012 at 3:07 pm | | Reply

Good or bad (in the opinion of others) doesn’t matter, what matters is that there are millions of Americans who need some sort of health care (and cannot afford it) and if this will help them to get some type of control of their lives health wise, it’s a good thing!

Especially those who are inflicted with a chronic illness and are dicriminated against by insurance companies…~Mays~

3. MommaKat
    MommaKat June 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm | | Reply

While I am ecstatic about the courts decision, I’m also a realist. The success of the ACA depends on improving preventative care, and that in turn depends on Americans becoming more invested in their own health care. For that to happen, organizations like the ADA and our medical centers need to develop a greater willingness to honestly talk to patients about what’s healthy and choosing to make positive decisions. My daughter’s endo team doesn’t do that, and instead champions her right to make unhealthy decisions because she’s just a kid. I think she’s more e than ready and capable of learning how to make informed decisions at 12. Sadly, many opponents of the mandate will have similar reactions to being told what constitutes healthy living.

In meantime, while those with pre existing conditions can’t be denied coverage, protections against inflating premiums don’t kick in until 2014. Until then, I still can’t afford insurance for my kids and many of my daughter’s diabetes supplies. It’s a win, but there’s still a lot of work ahead before health care is truly accessible and affordable.

4. Prompter Bob
    Prompter Bob June 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm | | Reply

When Obamacare eventually forces private insurance out of business, medical care rationing by the government will begin. Diabetics and others with chronic illnesses will be serverly affected because they create a huge drain on the system. Be careful what you wish for. This is bad news for diabetics and all Americans.

1. Tim
      Tim June 28, 2012 at 7:17 pm | | Reply

If private insurance were actually working the way it should, why do we need ANY health reform? Big business deciding who gets access to care is a broken model. At least with the federal government, they answer to us and not the profit motive. I can’t vote out the president of a company, but I can vote out an ineffective Congress or President!

5. StephenS
    StephenS June 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm | | Reply

Mike, great post. I keep telling everyone that this is just round two. There will be a lot of arguments, and possibly changes in the coming days, weeks, months and years. Good news today though!

6. Kristin W
    Kristin W June 28, 2012 at 7:18 pm | | Reply

ACA doesn’t address the quality of care we have here in the US – lots of money leaking out of the system on stupid bureaucracy like pre-authorization procedures and tiered pharmacy benefit plans. It is a travesty that we spend so freakin’ much money on healthcare in this country and don’t get near the HEALTH that other developed nations get, for much less money. I don’t like the gov’t administering my healthcare, which is what I think this ACA will eventually lead to, but the current system works for no one but the insurance and pharma execs. Agree with others who have posted that we have to assume responsibility for living healthily, as well – chronic condition or not – part of having more HEALTH so we don’t need as much healthcare!

7. In Virginia
    In Virginia June 29, 2012 at 4:50 am | | Reply

While the ability to obtain insurance is a wonderful thing for PWD (in other words preexisting condition) I have had to remove my sons policy and apply for Medicaid because the renewal after his diagnosis, our insurance prices increased over $1000 a month! That was in addition to what we were already paying for the same policy! Rather than forcing those who cannot or choose not to carry insurance, congress should focus on mandating what insurance companies are allowed to charge to applicants. Then most likely more people would be on board with obtaining insurance.

8. Ray Hull
    Ray Hull June 29, 2012 at 4:57 am | | Reply

All of the above is well and good for the short term. However, where will the appox. $2 trillion a year cost to the taxpayers for Obamacare come from? (referrence study from the gov itself-CBO) 40% of this will be borrowed and soon the US will be in the same boat as Greece, Spain and Italy. Is that where you want to be?

9. Ray Hull
    Ray Hull June 29, 2012 at 5:08 am | | Reply

Most people will go the route of paying the tax and not having insurance. These millions of people will therefore be in the exchanges which are funded by the taxpayers. So where does that leave us? Trillions of dollars in taxpayer costs and soon the US will be bankrupt like most of Europe. Is that what you want your kids to deal with?

10. Melissa
    Melissa June 29, 2012 at 6:36 am | | Reply

I’ve never been big into politics or following anything related to healthcare because it never impacted me directly (parents dealt with it). However, now that I just started my own job and will be off my parents health insurance starting in September, I’m trying hard to understand how this will impact me.
    I like that health insurance will be available for everyone. I like that we can’t be denied for a pre-existing condition. However, a few things I have picked up on that will impact me and I assume other PWD include the limit of $2500 in an FSA and the 2.3% tax on medical devices (insulin pump… possible CGM – i don’t know?).. those will impact me immediately considering my pump warranty is up in Feb. Anyone else have opinion on those? Or maybe explain more about how those could affect PWD?
    I haven’t read over the full document… I was looking at the timeline here: http://healthreform.kff.org/timeline.aspx and just pinpointed those things.

1. Sarah
      Sarah June 29, 2012 at 6:43 am | | Reply

“However, a few things I have picked up on that will impact me and I assume other PWD include the limit of $2500 in an FSA and the 2.3% tax on medical devices (insulin pump… possible CGM – i don’t know?).. those will impact me immediately considering my pump warranty is up in Feb.”

This is EXACTLY what I came here to comment on. I can’t believe no one is infuriated by these things. My FSA was the ONLY WAY I was able to buy a pump this year, and now, they’re going to be getting EVEN MORE expensive, thanks to this tax. Excise taxes, by definition, are designed so that companies can pay them by raising their prices.

This is going to cost pump companies a fortune. Oh, and the tax also includes WHEELCHAIRS. So much for helping out those people who need it the most.

1. Prompter Bob
        Prompter Bob June 29, 2012 at 7:06 am | | Reply

Welcome to Obamacare… AKA Obamatax. Yes, we all want better and cheaper healthcare but the government is NOT the answer. There is a better way to do this. Don’t fall for the hype. Once all the backended expenses and taxes start hitting in 2014 it’s going to be a nightmare.

1. Sarah
          Sarah June 29, 2012 at 7:08 am |

Hear, hear! I’m feeling all Furious George about this whole thing, how people think this is the answer, and they’re not even taking time to READ the thing.

11. John
    John June 29, 2012 at 7:01 am | | Reply

I fail to see how this will drive down healthcare costs!

Did anyone who drafted Obamacare attend economics 100? As far as I know, supply and demand will drive costs and with less resources/supply (doctors, especially Endocrinologists) and greater demand (more people with healthcare and will use it), costs will rise unless you arbitrarily hold them down which is anti-capitalist, Medical school costs continue to rise as well as medical malpractice insurance costs. So, I ask again, how does this drive down costs? From what I’m reading, the penalty imposed on the tax payers for not having insurance is minimal to zero and will actually be a fraction of what it would cost to have insurance, again, how is this changing anything regarding costs?

The bill doesn’t even touch on limiting punitive damages (why bite the hand that feeds the ones who crafted it – sorry Lawyers!) and illegal aliens. Two main causes for sky rocketing healthcare costs.

The FSA limits and the tax are a joke. T1 is grossly expensive to manage and at some point access to technologies and ‘good control’ will become opportunity cost even for those with insurance.

As a person with T1, I think there are a lot of good things in this Act but at the same time I think we are fooling ourselves if we think healthcare costs will flatten out or even drop.

12. Phil
    Phil June 29, 2012 at 7:33 am | | Reply

I get it. I do. Diabetes is a tough disease to have. For those that have a self interest in themselves, it is a good result (smile ). But you have no idea what is in the bill, none of us really do. The truth is this is more than about Diabetes or any one illness. This is about freedom or the loss of it. You don’t choose to have Diabetes, no one does. At the same time, those without this Disease have their own health to be responsible for, good or bad. They feel it’s against their civil liberties to be responsible for others. I get that too. So, either way, there should be no smiling going on or dancing a jig at the expense of everyone else. I hope you get my point. On the other hand, reform did not have to come with such a monstousity of this bill. A step wise approach contains costs and can be progressive as needed. When over half the country feel it is a violation of individual liberty rights, surely, there was a better way. They should have started with elimination of pre-existing discrimination conditions and go from there in a bilateral way. A lot of people feel violated and taken advantage of by the way this was done. America is better than the way this bill was forced down everyone’s throats with only one sided input. This is what makes this wrong and sad rather than a dancing a jig happy day at the expense of others. All need to be treated fairly and not at the expense if others. I also want you to know that I empathize as I have T2, Insulin Dependent Diabetes. So, I do understand, but there was and is and can be a better way. November will determine the future of health care in America and the future of individual liberties and freedom. America must decide what the country is organized and what it will look like in the future.

1. Sarah
      Sarah June 29, 2012 at 11:18 am | | Reply

I was about to get ALL OFFENDED at your post. . .but then I couldn’t figure out why. So I re-read it. And as it turns out, we agree, especially with the loss of freedoms bit.

I actually HAVE read the bill, so I DO know what it consists of. People are going to be surprised and really sad when it finally all comes to light what this thing consists of.

And, as I’ve mentioned before, as a T1 with an insulin pump, I’m not at all jazzed about the 2.3% tax put on manufacturers of medical equipment. Because all that will do it make things less expensive.

It’s not FAIR, and it’s not the “free healthcare for everyone!!!” some people seem to think it is.

13. Sara
    Sara June 29, 2012 at 8:40 am | | Reply

Melissa’s (above) point on the additional tax on medical devices is something that didn’t get a lot of coverage in the diabetes world. We can’t be thrilled about that, right?

Or are people caught up on what the media portrays and not what the actual law will mean?

The Supreme Court made no determination about whether or not the law was fair or just or right. This sentence right here is it – “The 9-member court voted that the law could be sustained because Congress has the power to tax individuals.” They threw it back at Congress. It was a vote for checks and balances. Yay Constitution!

1. Sam
      Sam June 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm | | Reply

Yay Constitution? I don’t want to be rude, but are you serious?

The writers of our Constitution wanted to restrict the power of the Federal government. This “law” gives the Federal government the right to tax us for NOT doing something.

Obama refused to portray it as a TAX when he needed support and after. There was NO WAY it would have passed even with the Democrats in charge of both houses and the oval office if it was sold to us as a TAX.

The Democrats argued it was constitutional under the Commerce clause, which was struck down by a big majority. It is ironic that it was found to be Constitutional because it IS a TAX. An one hell of a TAX it is. The biggest tax increase in American history. And it comes at a time of serious economic trouble.

And as far as Congress’ power to tax..Yes they have that authority, but this is the first time it has been found that they have the power to tas us for NOT doing something!! (aka buying health insurance)

Where could this right to tax for NOT doing something end? Theoretically the argument could be made that it could never end. This gives Congress all the power. This DECREASES checks and balances, not improves them.

Most Americans do not want it, and I would bet quite a bit of money that most have no real idea of what it means. It is not healthcare reform, it is health insurance reform and it puts it in the hands of the Feds. It will enable all to get healthcare insurance yes,but it will decrease the quality we get and take away our liberty and choices to get what we want and need. And it will COST. ALL of us. It will be unsustainable financially.

I have worked in the VA system and government run healthcare IS rationed. IT has to be because there is a limited amount of funding paid for by our taxes. Until we run out of money and the Democrats raise our taxes to support another monstrosity of a govenment program. We have that problem now.

Medicare IS rationed care. Many think it is great. It is NOT. Doctors are having to stop taking Medicare patients all the time because they cannot afford to stay in practice due to the low revenue and high overhead that the rediculous amount of beaurocracy and red tape costs.

For example seniors are limited to $1,880/year for outpatient physical therapy. That is about 18 visits after a stroke, or hip replacement. Not much. Oh yeah, and you have to share that $ with Speech therapy if needed, which often is after a stroke. So that is about 9 visits with physical therapy and 9 visits with speech therapy. I want better than that for my parents and we should ALL demand better than that.

GOVERNMENT RATIONING is here already and the Medicare system is in serious trouble. So did the Democrats “fix” the problem?

NO! They just took it over with Government control. Don’t get me wrong, as a Type 1 for 34 years, I know the current system is not as it should be. Just like most decent people, I want all people to be able to get quality healthcare, but this is NOT the way. Why should the government or for that matter our employers be the ones to control health insurance? We do not buy our auto or home owners insurance from the government or our jobs.

The whole problem is the 3rd party payor system that takes the free market out of play. There is no reason we should not have the freedom, and affordability which would come with the 3rd parties getting out of the way, to buy our own insurance.

And this right of congress to tax as a means to justify this bohemith of legislation stinks to high Heaven. And no, we don’t hear about the TAX on equipment, like insulin pumps, or joint replacements. Many of the manufacturers of joint replacement products have moved headquarters and JOBS out of the country because they knew this was a possibility. NICE job Democrats.

The Media likes to portray the Democrats as loving, caring, people and Republicans as mean, money loving, uncaring, unsympathetic people who want to let people just die.

C’mon do you really think things are that simple? Republicans, or I should say Conservatives, want all the same things, they just believe in a different way to get there. And if you think this is the answer and are celebrating as so many are, then you are at best naive, and uninformed and at worst, well I won’t go down that path. Just go back to your Kardasians and Jersey Shore while POLITICIANs of both parties hurt the middle class, but in this case, the Democrats destroy our healthcare system and make a huge power grab of our freedoms.

I have to give him credit, Obama said he was going to “fundamentally change America.” Well, he has. But tell me, did you think he meant increasing the role of the government this much?

Our deficit is INSANE and unless we do something we WILL end up like Greece etc. There is no doubt. It is NOT possible to TAX our way to economic prosperity. There are simpley not enough rich people to pay for it all. This is a sad day for Americans and all those who value the freedom that the Founding Fathers fought for and provided in the constitution.

14. Evelyn Guzman
    Evelyn Guzman July 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm | | Reply

Thank you so much for this news. I was like you; I was dancing the jig. Justice Sonia Sotomayor didn’t say anything in the Supreme Court but I am sure she had a hand on this. Saying too much anyway may just alienate some people. Still I am sure she is for us and it is a nice feeling to have a friend in high places.

Evelyn Guzman

15. Diabetic Survival Kit
    Diabetic Survival Kit July 3, 2012 at 3:14 am | | Reply

I find it scary that a law was passed and voted on by people who have not read the bill. We should not have to pass a bill to find out what is in it. Health care should not be a political matter. We should be working together to figure out how to best use the limited available resources to help the most people. I wonder if the judges on the supreme court read the bill. How did something that long get written so fast? If it becomes law and stays law, I hope and pray it will meet everybody;s good expectation.

16. SJ
    SJ July 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm | | Reply

I can’t understand how you are happy about having to deal with layers of bureaucratic government agencies to (hopefully) obtain the care that you need. It’s as if you have thought that getting approval of an insurance company alone has just been boring. Now you must make life more interesting by adding inserting government employees between yourself and the care and devices you need to stay healthy. This is not a step in the right direction for our country and certainly not for anyone with a chronic condition. It is a nightmare and a big mistake.