1. StephenS
    StephenS June 21, 2012 at 5:49 am | | Reply

Mike, your observations are right on. I can definitely relate to the fact that I’m motivated to do better because I’m writing about my D life.

Of course, the discussion was coming from a medical professional point of view, but at least some recognition of peer-to-peer support should have been noted. I suspect, however, that this will change soon. Just a feeling.

For my part, I let my endo know about my blog at my last visit, and I was shocked when she asked if she could share it with some of her patients as a motivator. So maybe part of the answer is to consciously connect with our medical team, and encourage them to connect more with us.

2. Hope W.
    Hope W. June 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm | | Reply

Wow, gift cards or cash to bring down my A1c? Huh. I am already doing the best that I can. I have had type 1 for 40 years. I don’t think I ever made a conscious decision to have a high A1c! It happens. I do my best every day to balance food, insulin and exercise (or lack of). Gift cards and cash would be nice just for the mere fact of saying, “Hey, you’re alive! You’ve had T1D for 40 yeas and you’re alive! Here’s some cash!”

3. Doug
    Doug June 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm | | Reply

Its also about what the Doc will get paid to do. Right now very few get paid to spend any time dloading data from meters – there is no way they will get paid for Online stuff…

4. Scott E
    Scott E June 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm | | Reply

I think Doug has a great point. Doctors have no time to “hover”. It’s hard enough finding a good endo as it is, as so many are booked and don’t take new patients. In reality, the doctor-patient “relationship” that I hear so much about rarely extends beyond a brief interaction once every three months or so. If all of my blood sugar readings and pump records were automatically and immediately available to my doctor’s office at any time, I know he or his staff wouldn’t look at them outside of appointment-time unless I specifically approached with a very specific question or concern.

I once was in a case where my medical plan had a case-worker who called me periodically to see how I was doing, to make sure I’m taking my insulin, and so forth. This person went down their checklist of questions, but really had very little to offer and very little knowledge of T1D. I grew to dread those calls from these anonymous people, calling because “they care”, and tried to get rid of them as quickly as possible. I resented having somebody look over my shoulder as if I couldn’t handle it myself. I’m doing quite well, thank you very much, and if I’m not, your directing me to a website or mailing me a pamphlet isn’t going to change that.

5. Clare
    Clare June 22, 2012 at 10:18 am | | Reply

Mike, the majority of people with diabetes are not reaching A1C, Lipid and BP goals so we need scientific evidence from large behavioral studies to point us in the right direction. I agree that the DOC is a terrific support lifeline for many PWDs but it doesn’t necessarily translate into meaningful behavioral change. We are seeing an ever increasing number of people with poorly managed diabetes and the inevitable tragic consequences. I am very glad to see a proliferation of large scale diabetes behavioral studies and I hope they will reap some benefits.

6. John
    John June 25, 2012 at 9:15 am | | Reply

People get tired and worn out trying to manage a disease 24×7 for the rest of their lives. It’s daunting and depressing so its not surprising goals are not being met by PWD’s. We NEED more treatment options that will more or less remove US in having to manage the illness.

Where are the islet transplants or encapsulated islets?

7. Hope W.
    Hope W. June 25, 2012 at 11:04 am | | Reply

John, from what I’ve read, Dr. Faustman has an actual cure for diabetes and is in the human trials now. We need to support her work so that we will be cured. All the other treatments for T1D are just that, treatments. She has the cure. Look her up at Boston General Hospital where her lab is based. She has the most encouraging research and trials going of any that I’ve ever heard of in my 40 years of being a T1D.l