1. Terry
    Terry June 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm | | Reply

Great topic! While I’m a firm believer in aggressive treatment for my diabetes, sometimes less is indeed more. At some point near the end of life, continuing medical intervention is not productive.

2. SueH
    SueH June 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm | | Reply

To me, any professional discussion of “diabetes according to age” is non-productive. I am a senior citizen and I’ve had diabetes for over 15 yrs. I began using insulin 7 years ago. I see myself as “living proof” that any form or type of diabetes is Progressive in nature. I am of the opinion that a person does not “catch” diabetes because they are old and grey headed. And, that old people who are diabetic have received ample warnings for many years from their doctor. My doctors had been warning me for at least 10 years about my risk factors for diabetes.

3. dargirl
    dargirl June 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm | | Reply

My mother just passed away recently, and I saw a lot of this debate in her reaction to her many medications. She lived independently and she actually had a machine in her house that would say, “take your medications”". It would dispense the medication at the approiate time and would not shut up until she came picked up the meds out of the dispenser. Then she would sit them down on the table next to her chair and say, “I don’t want to take that F***& Lasik, all it does is make me peeee….:).

I believe that too many medications makes it very confusing for the elderly. And it can be very dangerous if not taken correctly, or they do not understand what the pill was intended for. Continued:

4. dargirl
    dargirl June 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm | | Reply

Continutation of comment from dargirl:

I have had Type 1 for 40 years. Every birthday I think about how I will be able to manage my diabetes as a “Gray Type 1.”

Management of type 1 is a big challange now. I can’t imagine how it is going to be at 55+ or 65+. or 75+.

5. colleen
    colleen June 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm | | Reply

Well, I’m not gray, thanks to my hairdresser, but… I was dx’d seven years ago, at age 55. The comments from my original endo were not encouraging. The first thing he said was, “We can treat this without you having to take shots for several years.” I was the one who finally said, “Time for the insulin.” His response? “Are you sure?” The hodgepodge of meds he kept prescribing was annoying. And he was the one who said I was LADA…
    Switched endos – started MDI, then a pump.
    With thanks to the DOC, I knew shots/pumps were NOT the worst thing to happen to me.

6. Meg
    Meg June 7, 2012 at 5:22 pm | | Reply

I guess I’m not elderly, but I share some of the same attitudes. My primary care doctor strives to prescribe SOMETHING every time I see her. These days, I don’t even bother to fill most of the prescriptions. They really are not necessary! Why do I see her? My endo insists – so I go along to keep the peace. And to keep him writing the prescriptions for my pump supplies, etc.

7. JIM
    JIM June 8, 2012 at 4:00 am | | Reply

I can empathize with the growing older population – I is one – but nowhere in the article did the issue of immediate costs to the patient come up, just the potential long term cost to society. With more and more people without insurance coverage, or specifically assistance with medications, the out of pocket costs to a fixed income can be enormus. Now it becomes a choice, do I eat, or do I take my meds – and either will have consquences for the individual. When younger, you are indestructible, bring on the world. When not so young, it is pretty evident there are limits. With the current employment situation the opportunities to even get a job are really limited for anyone not in their 20′s with masters degrees from college and 30 years of practical experience which is all current employers are looking to even talk to, let alone hire. There is more than just not wanting to take meds going on in todays world.

1. Wil
      Wil June 9, 2012 at 7:43 am | | Reply

Jim–That’s a really good point and probably the subject of a whole ‘nother article. I didn’t deal with it this time because I was focusing on Greys who CHOOSE not to take prescribed meds for personal reasons. I view financial barriers as more the external environment imposing a decision on someone (and this happens at all ages). Yes, it is a decision: eat or take meds. But it really isn’t MAKING a choice, is it?

8. Kathy
    Kathy June 8, 2012 at 8:43 am | | Reply

I am also one of the ‘older population’. Currently I am sure that I am labeled ‘non-compliant’ by my GP because I am sensitive to many medications that are prescribed for me. The last time I saw my GP, I was told “I am frusted with you”…….? Is it my fault my body is sensitive to more than one medicine? I had a life threatening reaction to Gentamicin which really scared me.

Next time I saw a new doctor, he questioned whether it was just my imagination or a true reaction. He obviously did not believe me until I told him to check with Nurse ——— at the local hospital. My reaction is now a part of my permanent medical record at that hospital. Why take medicines if doctors are not going to believe you when you tell them something pertinent to your situation? Sorry, but I am slowly losing respect for the medical professionals and with good reason!!

9. Who Do You Think You Are!? « Felicity's Musings

[...] their present and future. BUT my point is, I’ve come across a lot of eager and resourceful elderly folk interested in their ancestry, and they’re my [...]