1. Gretchen
    Gretchen June 29, 2012 at 5:38 am | | Reply

I think one problem with having diabetes is that you have to take an “exam” every 4 months or so, and if the results aren’t good, you blame yourself.

Here’s another way of looking at it. Your A1c is 8. You haven’t failed. Your health care team has. They’re either prescribing the wrong treatment or they’ve failed to offer enough support to allow you to follow the prescribed treatment.

It’s hard enough to have diabetes. No one needs the guilt.

I wish more physicians were like Polansky.

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell June 29, 2012 at 6:48 am | | Reply

In my brain I know it’s just a number. But my heart often sinks based on the value. It’s so hard, our lives are full of numbers. Let’s ignore the 6:00 AM on the clock, or the MPG, or distance traveled numbers. There’s the BG number, the carb count, the insulin units, the IOB, etc., etc.

I swear we should all have DN degrees, Diabetes Numerology!

3. Scott S
    Scott S June 29, 2012 at 7:07 am | | Reply

Bernard’s comment is well-said: we’re told to use the numbers to make decisions (even when the readings are allowed to be +/1 25% during 95% of all tests, thanks FDA!) but they aren’t reflections of our self-worth. Yet who among us doesn’t self-depreciate at the sight of a number that’s not perfect? The question I have is why the heck are doctors always so perplexed by the fact that depression is higher among people with diabetes. They conclude (often incorrectly) that it is a function of glycemic control, rather than the chronic treatment protocol that they’ve just handed to patients!

4. Sally
    Sally June 29, 2012 at 7:12 am | | Reply

My doctor told me I had better be compliant, because he gets a “grade”. The nerve. I haven’t been back in over a year, and if I didn’t a prescription for insulin and the doc’s signature to drive a motor vehicle, I wouldn’t be going at all. (And my A1c’s are fine. Thanks, Reli-On.)

5. Sally
    Sally June 29, 2012 at 7:13 am | | Reply

*NEED a prescription. Where’s the edit button?

6. Jay Kauffman
    Jay Kauffman June 29, 2012 at 8:12 am | | Reply

This is an issue I’ve been thinking /feeling about for a while now. There’s a mind/body split going on here keeps a lot of our internal resources for dealing with this complex illness sadly under-used and brushed aside

These numbers are merely a reflection of some very complex processes that are going on, within us –in our bodies. And our bodies are the source of how we feel—tired, energetic, depressed, happy. If we’re sensitive to our internal world, there’s a lot there that can actually help us to deal with the moment to moment challenges of diabetes.

But instead, we’re encouraged to look at it all from the outside, as if we were scientists analyzing data

When we focus on only the numbers and ignore how we feel (or don’t connect the numbers to how we feel) we are disembodying ourselves and our relationship to what the numbers are actually pointing to

There’s a tendency to see the whole project as a “war” and nothing more: me vs. my diabetes

…and since the diabetes is intimately associated with all the processes of my body, it becomes “me (my mind) vs. me (my body)”

me vs. me, basically.

We’re also passing up a lot of information that can help us to get better numbers

We could be developing techniques and habits that enable us to trust our own intuition in the moment and make the best possible decisions, using the analysis of numbers in a more integrated way along with all the other perspectives available to help us,

and we could be working on accept ourselves in ways that make it easier to muster together the internal resources to really take care of ourselves

Jay

7. Sysy
    Sysy June 29, 2012 at 8:56 am | | Reply

I do what you do when I feel the same way so I completely understand. I mean 99.9% of the time the issue is “me” so…I mostly go to the endo just for the A1c test. BUT, it has helped me lately with this new endo I’ve had for the past 2 years-he is really funny and never says anything to me with a straight face. So he looks at some of my highs and cracks jokes like, “wow, look at this 300, your kids were driving you nuts here, right?” Basically, he knows how to make me feel at ease and he knows that SO many things can contribute to off blood sugars. So he focuses the visit on asking me how I feel and then he listens. I wish more endos did that. :)

8. Karen
    Karen June 29, 2012 at 9:20 am | | Reply

I know where you are coming from, Mike. It’s hard when we hit a patch of burnout and the reality is we need to motivate ourselves out of it before our health care team can really help us. I think deciding that it’s time to get that appointment scheduled is a great first step, so yay for you!!! I also love any post with a reference from Dr. Polonsky. He’s awesome!!

9. Michelle Kowalski
    Michelle Kowalski June 29, 2012 at 11:53 am | | Reply

Really, the only reason I go to the endo is for my A1C. Sometimes small changes are made to basal and bolus, but it generally is my motivation to get things done that needs to change.

10. Hot New App for Diabetes Management « MEDCRUNCH