1. Joe
    Joe May 31, 2012 at 4:25 am | | Reply

That’s all well and good. However most if not all insurance companies do not cover hearing tests or hearing aids.

What next in the line-up of complications?

2. Allison - AuD (almost!)
    Allison - AuD (almost!) May 31, 2012 at 6:34 am | | Reply

I’ve been T1 for 16 years and am almost done with my audiology education (doctorate of audiology), so I have a couple things to point out!

First of all, this article is great – good information and well done! Hearing testing is important so get it done. It won’t hurt :)

To the poster above: most insurance companies WILL cover testing done by an audiologist, including Medicare. They usually do not cover hearing aids, but some companies do, especially for children. ASK YOUR PROVIDER!!

It was stated that “most hearing aids fit inside the ear canal and others are not likely to see it unless you’re very close!” This is not necessarily true. The style of hearing aid you need depends on your type of hearing loss. HA dealers will likely give you whatever style you want, even if it is not the best option. Audiologists can better explain to you what style will work best for you.
    Whatever kind you get, depending on the state you likely have a 30-day trial period (as it is in Ohio) to return them if you aren’t happy – EVEN TO HEARING AID DEALERS. They won’t always tell you that.

Don’t go to MIracleEar, BelTone, etc. – they are just trying to make money and don’t necessarily care about your hearing health. Audiologists know about diabetes and its affects on your hearing and how best to help you.

Take care of your health – once your hearing is gone, it will never be the same, even with amplification.

3. Tim
    Tim May 31, 2012 at 10:41 am | | Reply

Being a professional musician, I run into a lot of noise. I’m from a generation that grew up with FLOOR monitors. Anyway, I never really encountered any problem until I started working with musicians who were ten to fifteen years older. I play trombone, and I was standing next to two sax players that had real hearing issues. I would come home from a gig and my ears would ring when I went to bed, but it would be gone by morning. The day I woke up and it still was there, I went to a medical supply place and had rubber earplugs molded to my ears. I learned how to hear my own playing in my head and adjust my intonation to the little bit of sound I still could hear. Protect your hearing! Take your earplugs with you everywhere (keep them with your D gear)., especially concerts and movies.

4. Pat Schmehl
    Pat Schmehl May 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm | | Reply

I am T2 for about 7 months but have had sensorineural hearing loss for years. I also have tinnitus. My hearing aids cost 3 grand, none of which was covered by insurance. They are digital but I never felt they worked that well. One of the factors is clarity. It’s not only the decibel level. If I use the aids & there is too much background noise then clarity is lost @ it doesn’t always matter how loud anything is. I would just say lets keep this awareness going & publish more articles & information.

5. Allison - AuD (almost!)
    Allison - AuD (almost!) June 1, 2012 at 7:47 am | | Reply

Part of the reason people may have trouble hearing, even with the best digital hearing aids, is because they have NERVE damage. That cannot be fixed as glasses can often fix eye problems. The nerve damage causes distortion, and when the hearing aids are used they just amplify that.

However, today’s hearing aids work exponentially better than they used to, so it’s worth trying them out if you have hearing loss.

6. Hearing aid oklahoma city
    Hearing aid oklahoma city August 21, 2013 at 3:02 am | | Reply

It’s very easy to care for your hearing aids. Proper care for your hearing aids can help them last longer and lower the necessities for hearing aid repairs.

7. Matt Ruthenebeck
    Matt Ruthenebeck January 3, 2014 at 2:55 am | | Reply

another idea is this, I was born with hearing loss, @ birith moderate to severe hearing loss, only later @ 11 years old to end up having diabetes type 1, then later constant ear infections and then in left ear at least the reson for the 2nd ear surgery i had was due to this cholesteatoma, so diabetes does way more then just affect nerves if you ask me, it affects everything when having it…. but thats me….