1. Brian
    Brian May 2, 2012 at 7:48 am | | Reply

This is certainly of great interest to Type 1s. But how many Type 1s know of a way of using the blood test result to give them immediate assistance on managing their condition?
    The blood sugar test result is indeed valuable. But it is more than a diagnostic aid to your consultant! It can be used by a diabetic to help through the day in calculating what the blood sugar will become. You enter brief details of each insulin injection into a computer programme. You also enter the carbs and time of each meal. If you then enter the result of a blood sugar test, the programme tells you whether your blood sugar will end up at the right level when all the food and insulin that you’ve taken have done their work. And it tells you if you need more food, or insulin, and if so how much, you still need to take to get your blood sugar back on track. The programme is available now at low cost. And it works. Have a look at http://www.pathfinderweb.talktalk.net for details. This software takes diabetes blood sugar control to the next level!!!

1. Laurie
      Laurie July 21, 2012 at 9:28 am | | Reply

I have one – bought it this week along with 3 month supply of strips and I test 10x/day. VERY DISAPPOINTED. Apple Store said I could buy an iPhone case for the iBGStar meter when it’s attached from Canada. They don’t ship to the US and the customer service person I talked to via phone had no information whatever. I’m taking it back. I wanted it only with a case. Sanofi should not have launched this product until they could deliver the iPHONE CASE!!!!

2. June S.
    June S. May 2, 2012 at 8:48 am | | Reply

I first read about the iBG Star more than a year ago, and was SO excited, since I own an iPhone. Just my luck, though, that I just last week determined that my Freestyle Lite meter usually reads my BGs about 20% lower than the new One Touch Verio IQ meter does. I therefore asked my endo. to write me scripts for a spare One Touch Verio IQ meter and strips (she had given me a sample one with 10 strips, which is how I had determined the disparity in readings with my Freestyle Lite.)
    I wonder how the iBG Star fares, in terms of its accuracy. DiaTribe gave the One Touch Verio IQ accolades, which is why I tried it out. Shucks! Bad timing! Wish I could have tried the iBG Star against the Freestyle Lite!

3. Judi Hoskins
    Judi Hoskins May 2, 2012 at 9:22 am | | Reply

I have been waiting anxiously for this meter but at this time, with the limited availability, I just cannot afford one. My insurance gives me 10 strips a day with no copay, so it’s not so much the cost of the meter but the strips. With free strips for so many other meters, it’s just not beneficial to spend this kind of money. My plan does not allow me to purchase strips at Walgreens. Hopefully Sanofi will make it more available from different mail order sources in time.

4. Betty
    Betty May 2, 2012 at 9:40 am | | Reply

Is there a case that we can order so it will stay attached to the phone and we won’t have to worry about it breaking off with daily use?
    I assume it would need to be a hard shell case.

5. Duncan
    Duncan May 2, 2012 at 10:34 am | | Reply

I look at this more as a proof of concept rather than a day to day, primary meter. When you look at the kit and what it can do, what true advantage does it offer? Yes its small but when you add in the strips, and lancing device the size of the meter becomes less important. You need an iPhone to use it which immediately eliminates a large % of the potential users. It’s all well and good to say 75% of healthcare professionals have an I something but they aren’t the target users. The biggest thing for me though is it really doesn’t offer anything meaningful. Again, its great to say that you can log your readings to your phone but the first thing that came to my mind was “whats the point?” Every meter will log results, most will let you download them into software to view trends, graphs and the like and some will also let you do that right on the meter.

I can’t help feeling that its one of those “well Apple had a hand in it, it works with an iPhone so it must be innovative and awesome” things. Kind of a whole lot of sparkle and not much substance. It’s awesome as a launching pad for future, useful developments but is it really as great a consumer product as it’s being made out to be?

6. Hadley
    Hadley May 2, 2012 at 10:43 am | | Reply

Thanks for the exciting news about this product launch. With so many diabetics in America, this will be a very useful product to have available. Anything that can make the process quicker and easier for diabetics to measure their glucose levels and manage their health is definitely a good thing.

7. Mike
    Mike May 2, 2012 at 11:15 am | | Reply

I just picked one up and the first thing I am impressed with is the size. This thing is really small and light.

Keep in mind that this meter does not need to be plugged into your iPhone or iPod to work, therefore, it’s by far the smallest BS meter I’ve ever seen or used. Once I plugged it back into my iPhone the app automatically recognizes the meter and syncs any readings that you took.

So far I’m very impressed. Any questions, please let me know.

@Duncan – your comments are valid. You are correct, it is just another BS meter, however, the integration on the iPhone and the size of the thing are definitely steps ahead.

8. Terry
    Terry May 2, 2012 at 11:31 am | | Reply

This technology improvement is a step in the right direction. I’m looking forward to well designed device that can integrate *all* the data that tracks my condition. In addition to the BG data that this device can track, my ideal device would also accept data from my CGM and pump as well.

The one overall weakness of my ideal system as well as the iBGstar is an interested doctor capable of spending more than 15 minutes every three months to actually analyze this mountain of data and then make informed judgments about insulin therapy. I don’t think our current health system is interested in more data. I know there a exceptions but it’s not been my experience.

I applaud this technical effort but fear it’s only one small fragment of the complete answer.

9. Jill
    Jill May 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | | Reply

Looking at the Star program it seems that the strips have to be covered by your insurance and they just make sure your copay is not over $20 per month. Do they have a list of insurance co’s that have approved coverage? My DD would love this and so would I for tracking her #s but if it isn’t covered by our insurance, we will have to wait until it is.

10. Ollie
    Ollie May 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm | | Reply

I’m unimpressed. It’s a small convenience, sure, but I want to see innovation and r&d budgets being spent on more substantial improvements. I want a cure, and in the meantime, an artificial pancreas.

It’s dissapointing to see so much excitement over such a small achievement. Where’s the ambition?

1. AmyT
      AmyT May 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm | | Reply

I for one would love to see your video entry for our Patient Voices Contest ow.ly/aFcFW — tell us exactly what kind of “substantial improvements” you’d like to see R&D budgets being spent on!

2. Mike
      Mike May 3, 2012 at 6:41 am | | Reply

@Ollie – I hear you. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t hesitate to say that all diabetics hear you. On a macro level we all want a cure and an AP in the meantime.

However, on a more micro level, your disappointment is a bit unfair. This is a BG meter. In fact, it’s the smallest, lightest meter I’ve ever seen or used. When it comes to BG meters, it is most definitely a step forward just based on this. The iPhone/iPod integration will be useful to me as well.

I wear a CGM and still stick my fingers 10-15 times a day (if not more). I’m a data hog when it comes to my numbers and tweaking my bolus and basal rates. I understand not everyone is like this, but for me, the iBG Star is exciting.

@Dox – if you don’t buy it, nobody will be “stealing” your money.

We are progressing forward, technology is amazing, and we’ve come a long way just in the past 20 years when it comes to diabetes care. It’s not a sprint (although we’d all like it to be), it’s a marathon and one day we’ll get there.

Good luck and stay healthy.

11. Dox
    Dox May 2, 2012 at 4:14 pm | | Reply

Another way to steal our money…Give us a cure!

12. Mike
    Mike May 2, 2012 at 4:18 pm | | Reply

@Ollie – I hear you. As a matter of fact, I think all diabetics hear you . . . On the cure and artificial pancreas part. We all want that, from a big picture point of view.

However, you being unimpressed and disappointed is a bit unfair when it comes to this product. From a day to day point of view, this is a blood sugar meter and a step forward in diabetes management, in my opinion. As mentioned in my previous post, this is by far the smallest and lightest meter I have ever seen or used. That alone is a step forward and in the right direction when it comes to day to day diabetes management. The iPhone integration is useful for me as well.

I understand that some may not be so excited about this product, but that doesn’t mean that others can’t be or more importantly, that we don’t want a cure or an AP.

In the meantime, you can’t measure a BS meter vs. the holy grail (a cure or even an AP), you need to measure it vs. other meters. I think when looked at in this context, this is an exciting product for diabetics.

13. Mike
    Mike May 2, 2012 at 4:22 pm | | Reply

@Dox

Don’t buy it and nobody will be “stealing” your money.

Why even comment?

14. Megan
    Megan May 2, 2012 at 5:42 pm | | Reply

hmmmmm…as a dedicated Apple user, I want to be more excited about this than I am. I think maybe it’s that I’m also a Paradigm pumper, and while the thought of a small meter integrating seamlessly with a logging program on my iPhone is appealing, I can’t imagine giving up the convenience of a meter that wirelessly syncs with my pump itself.

15. Lloyd Mann
    Lloyd Mann May 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm | | Reply

Is there a way to remove readings that are in error? Once in a while my meter may say I am at 170, when 92 would be accurate. I retest when a reading is not reasonable, and manually enter the readings in my pump. I don’t want to edit valid data, but I don’t want to graph points that are in error either.

-Lloyd

16. Anne Findlay Dowling
    Anne Findlay Dowling May 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm | | Reply

Awesome! I get so tired of carrying extra supplies in my back jersey pocket on the bike, and I bring my phone anyway! Does the app have the ability to email out results, say to a healthcare provider?

Sanofi has been supporting Team Type 1 since day 1 and I am sincerely grateful for the support they have shown to the diabetes community in this and many other ways.

Hope this is just the beginning of a new wave of better designed diabetes products. One thing I think would be really helpful is an instant charting app for the glucose numbers, sort of like what you see on a CGM screen. Then I could get somewhat similar information about trends from my BG as well as CGM. I’ll have to check out the bgstar app.

17. Steve
    Steve May 7, 2012 at 8:42 am | | Reply

FreeStyle Tracker is back!

18. Steve
    Steve May 7, 2012 at 9:13 am | | Reply

@Anne – Team Type 1 and Sanofi got together later after a few years of Team Type 1 getting off the ground thanks to Abbott diabetes care and later Insulet.

19. IlDavo
    IlDavo May 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm | | Reply

My 10-year-old Type 1 daughter already carries an iPad for schoolwork. I’ve scoured the web trying to determine whether IBGStar can exchange data with the IBGStar app running on an iPad 2 or 3. No joy.
    A nice Scottish gent mentions that it works with the iPad, yet offers no example/evidence in a recent YouTube video.

Dream combo would be a small, reliable meter that can both function independently and sync its data with a iDevice wirelessly. I’d hoped WaveSense Wireless Jazz might bit the bill, but all online info indicates that WaveSense wirelessly syncs only with WaveSense’s ZeroClick software running on a PC. Why no workee with WaveSense’s iPad app (whose interface is identical to IBGStar’s — I’m sure that’s no accident)?

20. Anne Findlay Dowling
    Anne Findlay Dowling May 9, 2012 at 6:41 pm | | Reply

Steve, thanks for the correction.

IlDavo, I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that it works with the iPad. My guess is that they can’t put out anything official because it wasn’t tested extensively like with the iPhone/iTouch.

21. Pietro
    Pietro May 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm | | Reply

Seems to be working just fine with my iPad 2. Just make sure your case allows the connector to be completely inserted.

Only two issues: 1) As of now the iBGStar app isn’t Universal, so it will only run in a window. 2) If you use the meter on iPad and iPhone, you have to set up preferences and download glucose data twice. It would be great if they could sync automatically via iCloud.

22. Travis
    Travis May 22, 2012 at 11:48 am | | Reply

Trying to get an iBGStar case for an iPhone 4 in the US. They are only available in Canada at this time. Is there any provider that will ship to US? Thanks!

23. Pharma: part of the problem or part of the solution? | pharmaphorum

[...] order to survive, and I have to agree. The good news is, it’s happening, with innovations such as Sanofi’s iPhone-integrated IBGStar blood glucose meter. (disclosure: they’re a client) Let’s keep looking for ways to bust out of [...]

24. Stacey
    Stacey July 21, 2012 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

Why can’t we get a case for this in the US?? Europe has 2 different styles, Canada has them – why are we always last and when will they be available

25. Bobbyh
    Bobbyh July 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm | | Reply

I bought the Ibgstar today and upon getting it home found that it will not fit my phone with the Otterbox case attached. I working law enforcement and consider my Otterbox invaluable to protect my phone. I was really looking or ward to using this meter and I am severely disappointed. I really wish a little more research had been done during development.

26. Valerie
    Valerie August 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm | | Reply

I love this meter! Are there plans to allow the readings to automatically sync with pumps like the OneTouch meters do? My daughter has a Medtronic device, and it would be amazing to have that option for her!

27. Les Weber
    Les Weber August 29, 2012 at 7:15 pm | | Reply

Is there any idea of when the version 2 of the app will be available? Apparently it’s been available in Europe since May.

28. Ask D’Mine: Test Strips Redux, with a Little Mad Science : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] frequently moving from one platform to another. But recently, some S.O.B. gave me one of those damn iBG Star meters and now I’m in [...]

29. June S.
    June S. October 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm | | Reply

I’m posting this comment long after the blog post on the iBGStar. I live in NJ, and with Hurricane Sandy on its way, I realized a great disadvantage of the iBGStar is that it doesn’t have its own battery! I went to the pharmacy today to buy One Touch Strips (not the Verio – it also plugs in!) I am worried about a power outage. There’s something to be said for meters that run on a small battery that needs to be replaced, in my experience, only once annually!

30. Jennifer
    Jennifer November 7, 2012 at 12:53 pm | | Reply

Our experience has been disappointing. We were so excited about the compatibility with the iPhone but it has very inaccurate readings. My daughter had been experiencing unusual and unexplained highs at lunch and then crashing about 2pm. On the 3rd day of this, I had her re-check with another meter. The IBGStar read 404 and the One Touch was 114. CRAZY and dangerous!

31. Alex I.
    Alex I. March 9, 2013 at 4:05 am | | Reply

Hi! I’m an ultra marathon runner and use this meter to sample my blood glucose levels before and after my training and/or race events. I then send the data via the email feature to my nutritionist who is able to analyze the data.

It’s a great device, which I’m sure will be improved upon. When I purchased this from Walgreens, it was originally priced at $84. But, through some type of subsidy / vendor incentive, my final price was ~$4. (No insurance involved here either). But I can see how the cost of the test strips are the limiting factor to many people especially those with Diabetes.

In any case, keep up the good work, and try to increase lost cost access to your products.

Alex