1. Andrea
    Andrea May 28, 2012 at 4:47 am | | Reply

Thank you for those guidelines, especially since it applies for all military health care. My daughter is T1 and we have no issue getting her supplies, but I am “pre diabetic” and our PCM will only “let” me test 1x per day. It’s really a waste of time to do it only once a day. this gives me the documentation to support my desire in my health care.

Another Vets & families face is CGMS coverage… it has come a long way in the last few years, but here is the policy incase anyone needs it http://manuals.tricare.osd.mil/DisplayManualPdfFile/TP02/147/AsOf/TP02/C8S5_3.PDF#xml=http://manuals.tricare.osd.mil/PdfHighlighter.aspx?DocId=44290&Index=D:%5CIndex%5CTP02&HitCount=14&hits=12+13+14+15+16+137+138+139+13a+13b+154+164+1af+1ba+

2. Terry
    Terry May 28, 2012 at 9:13 am | | Reply

I didn’t know that 45% of the diabetic population covered by Medicare and PPO insurance have A1c’s greater than 9%! And what is it that we, as citizens of this great country, fear about socialized medicine?

3. james k. rasmussen
    james k. rasmussen August 30, 2012 at 10:45 pm | | Reply

Hi, I develop ….TYPE 1….Diabetes in the yr..2008.
    I have served in the USMC for about 17ys.
    Fm-1973 – Dec 1991.
    Does the VA…Pay or help the Vet support in this..
    At the time Myself is..50% rating.

4. Joseph Yutzy
    Joseph Yutzy October 4, 2012 at 10:42 am | | Reply

I am Vietnam Veteran(1973-1978) Agent Orange exposed, adult onset (age 37, insulin dependent) type 1 diabetic. The VA is therefore able to deny any compensation for my military service causing this disease or its complications.They are however treating my disease with an insulin pump.

5. Daphne
    Daphne December 6, 2013 at 9:55 am | | Reply

My VA Doctor told me that the VA NO LONGER GIVES SHORT ACTING INSULIN TO TYPE 2 DIABETICS! I know that is wrong ,but I can’t get him to give me a script. Now my aic has gone up several points and my blood sugar is out of control. My eyes are much worse and my circulation in my legs is so bad that not only are they blue, but I am in constant pain. I think this is his way of saving the Gov money, and shortening the lives of diabetics so they will not be a burdon on the system. He is giving me a slow and painful death
    What do I need to do for help?

6. va employee
    va employee February 14, 2014 at 6:41 am | | Reply

The bigger reasons for a1c’s in the Dangerous levels are more about pt self care skills than the VA treatment. As a VA employee that works with many DM patients, those who take advantage of the offering to assis them to manage their DM do far better. My experience, compliance is the bigger issue with out of control DM and not the VA withholidng appropraite treatments.

7. anonymous
    anonymous June 9, 2014 at 9:31 am | | Reply

interesting article, but I have found the VA management of diabetes to be poor at best using old technology and their reluctance to aggressively treat the condition. I am a veteran myself and have been trying to get my insulin adjusted for months and am still waiting.

8. Joe
    Joe July 10, 2014 at 11:10 am | | Reply

I have been able to get insulin and some supplies through the VA without any issue. They don’t offer the insulin pump I use (OmniPod) – so that isn’t covered. I have to use my insurance through my employer to get that. I really wish they would offer the OmniPod pump system. It is incredible. I went from 13.1 A1C in December of 2013 to 5.3 A1C as of today. It makes management of Type 1, very easy. If anyone from the VA is reading this…OmniPod. Now if we can muster the numbers for Type 1 folks for service connected ratings. I find it odd that I was a relatively health individual that was impacted by this disease at the age of 44, just a few years after retiring from service. But heck…$h!t happens, right.