1. Scott S
    Scott S May 16, 2012 at 5:56 am | | Reply

To some extent, the food industry is responding to apparent consumer demand here. Today, gluten is akin to what carbs themselves were in the 1990s: taboo, even for those who have no genuine need to avoid these ingredients! Therein lies the danger, but it may be a passing fad among food marketers (we can only hope). I hear it from people all the time: they are avoiding gluten, yet when I say “I didn’t know you had celiac disease” they respond they don’t, yet they somehow “feel better” by avoiding gluten. Sure … just like millions avoided carbs in the 1990s, only to start consumption en-masse once the fad faded. People with diabetes have been down this road before, and unfortunately, it looks like gluten is going down the same path. Companies will make claims to respond to what they see as a demand, but the claims are often unsubstantiated, akin to “new and improved” but with little genuine fact to back them up. Once again, let the buyers beware. I wish this weren’t the case (at least I’m fortunate enough to not have celiac unlike many T1s who do), but until we demand greater regulatory oversight of these enormous businesses, this will likely happen again. The one bright spot here: the media seem to be responding more quickly to these baseless claims. Let’s hope they keep it up.

1. Erik
      Erik May 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm | | Reply

I was shocked by the negativity of this article. I am not a huge fan of the chain, but don’t think they should be chastised for not going all the way to extremes when introducing a product line. I would guess the that majority of people on gluten free diets are not hardcore Celiac suffers.

I looked into the accredidations, and on the NFCA site, it says specifically that Dominos did qualify for their second tier of GF certification, which i bet is similar to the stardards met by the majority of the restaurants touted as being friendly by other organizations

I don’t see Subway or Red Brick as certified by either NFCA standard, although then are given a pass in the article. Even the touted Picazzo’s states that “we have minimized the risk, by nearly 100 percent”. Seems that ‘nearly’ is only good enough for them, not Dominos

I really don’t care, but to single out one company and give a pass or promote the rest, seems a bit biased. . And while I might agree that I wouldn’t take the risk if it mattered to me, as a T1, I have been served my share of regular sodas in lieu of diet by both minimum wage and highly compensated servers. With attitudes like this, is it any wonder they would put an asterisk by any claim rather than spending millions fighting class action lawsuits.

2. Sysy
    Sysy May 16, 2012 at 7:21 am | | Reply

As unfortunate as this is for those with Celiac disease (I really wish the pizza were safe for them), I see this serving a large portion of the population that is avoiding gluten for very good reasons. Many people don’t seem to have the genetics to properly assimilate gluten and even if they don’t have celiac disease, they are finding that they feel better avoiding gluten, they are learning about leaky gut syndrome, gluten sensitivity, and others are just finding they lose weight when they avoid it.

I avoid gluten with much success to my blood sugars and my mood. Not all humans have evolved to feel and be healthy eating wheat.

So I don’t see it so much as a passing fad as people learning new and important things about the food they’re eating.

And again, I’m bummed for those with Celiac that get excited to hear this and then disappointed to find out it’s not for them.

3. Johanna B
    Johanna B May 16, 2012 at 7:55 am | | Reply

I didn’t patronize Domino’s before I was diagnosed with Celiac and I certainly won’t start now. Fortunately, we have a local pizza restaurant that offers a truly GF crust for those times I just have to have a slice.

4. Russell Stamets
    Russell Stamets May 17, 2012 at 10:29 am | | Reply

Once again, some useful detail Mike. Thanks. I’m not celiac but have cut my grain intake extensively. As the non or lower gluten products become widely available (and hopefully edible), I’ll probably include them more. As is mentioned in the comments, individual chemistry is so varied, you have to know what affects you. I for instance (LADA, insulin-free) have had to cut all dairy due to next day fasting spikes, which seems somewhat unique to me. And unfortunately, there’s no hope for a pizza without cheese. Russell http://russellstamets.blogspot.com

5. AmyT
    AmyT May 18, 2012 at 9:21 am | | Reply

@Erik – I think the point was that Domino’s in particular is trying to use their GF offering as a big national marketing campaign — but they didn’t even go 100% on getting it right for celiacs, which sets a pretty lousy example.

6. Brian
    Brian May 19, 2012 at 7:11 am | | Reply

I don’t know if you have Pizza Pizza in the US but they have been offering a Gluten Free Pizza for some time already.

7. Gluten Free Diets Assist in Regulating Diabetes | Gluten Free Diets Today

[...] that it's not at all an either/or way of living. It is a dedication to a method of feeding on.Diabetes patients who seem to be living a gluten free life tend to be observing a considerable reduc…plus a far healthier perspective. Individuals with celiac disease and diabetes have to manage blood [...]

8. Faith
    Faith August 2, 2013 at 11:49 am | | Reply

Luckily for me, I’m able to eat Domino’s GF pizza without any noticeable problems. I’m sensitive to gluten & it causes skin issues, but I’ve never been diagnosed Celiac. I think the article was way too harsh on D’s honesty. Likely they’re just as GF as many restaurants claiming to serve GF pizza or other dishes. Have you seen the inside of Domino’s places? They tend to be pretty small. There’s no room to make a whole extra prep room for a completely GF environment. Any place like that which uses a lot of flour is going to have contamination from the flour in the air. It’s not just a matter of setting aside a particular area to make GF pizza. They would need essentially a whole extra copy of that entire room devoted to only making GF – the over, the prep, the ingredients, and so on and on and on.