1. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog May 18, 2012 at 4:40 am | | Reply

Q gets 2 am lows following afternoon or evening exercise, too bad she prefers regular milk.

Did the CDE say if white milk also has the same benefit? Is it the protein and fat in the chocolate milk that makes the difference?

Ironically, Q asked to try chocolate milk at school lunch yesterday (she said it was “uh, just okay”) and then had a low during PE, another right after, and yet another as the school day ended!

2. Nathan
    Nathan May 18, 2012 at 6:08 am | | Reply

I heard about this chocolate milk thing from the fitness crowd, but it’s main point was that chocolate milk seems to perform just as well as any recovery shake for helping you benefit/recover from a workout. The big shocker was that milk was just as helpful as something loaded with vitamins and tonics. For me, the extra sugar is almost never necessary.

3. AmyT
    AmyT May 18, 2012 at 8:10 am | | Reply

Thanks for great reporting on this event, Mike. Sorry you had to skip lunch! (owe ya one :) )

4. shannon
    shannon May 18, 2012 at 9:13 am | | Reply

tremendous post, thanks so much for the thorough report! i love the choc milk idea and will ask my sporty T1 kid if she’s into it.

5. Jennie Lawson
    Jennie Lawson May 18, 2012 at 11:44 am | | Reply

Thanks so much for sharing; great read! I’ve been diabetic for roughly 21 years now but I’m a newcomer to this fantastic online community!

6. Grace Herrington
    Grace Herrington May 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm | | Reply

Thanks Mike for passing on this info. We’ve used Choc. Milk for my sons overnight lows for nearly 7 years and it almost always works better than anything else. We find that it keeps him from dipping low again in a short time, unlike fruit juice. We just never thought about using it in conjunction with exercise. Great tip and tasty too!

7. Kerri.
    Kerri. May 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm | | Reply

It was good to see you again, Mike. Thanks for your kind words about my presentation (I don’t talk fast, do I? ;) ) and my best to your wonderful parents!

8. Michele Puzio
    Michele Puzio May 19, 2012 at 10:24 am | | Reply

Hi Mike,
    Thanks so much for posting this info. I was speaking on Scool issues so did not get to hear the other speakers. My son Gino will love you for this he has had a lot of lows and we use juice he loves Choc Milk so I think we will give it a try. Thanks so much for the info great job.
    Michele Puzio

9. anne marie anderson
    anne marie anderson May 20, 2012 at 7:20 am | | Reply

Leighann, I suspect that the chocolate milk that athletes refer to is the powdered mix not the carton kind at schools. These mixes contain added nutrients and sometimes added dry milk protein. Avoid the carton, school kind, as nothing is added and usually HFCS is the added sweetener.
    As a mom of a family of athletes, chocolate milk is the recovery drink of choice for my son (non D) and the night time low choice for my D girl, as well as recovery.

10. Amy
    Amy May 21, 2012 at 6:21 am | | Reply

We are big fans of the Costco branded Kirland Organic Chocolate milk. A bonus is that it is shelf stable and my kids have learned to drink it at room temp with no problem! Love, love, love chocolate milk as a mom of 2 with T1D. It works!

11. Ex-Hockey Player Writes His Own Rules for the Diabetes Game : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] team at the ‘Mine first met Andy back in May 2012 at a JDRF event in the Detroit, Michigan area, where he was telling his story and talking up his newest venture. [...]