1. Jody McAndrew
    Jody McAndrew May 22, 2012 at 10:19 am | | Reply

I too grew up in the 80′s with type 1 diabetes.. I was diagnosed at age 6 as well and this year marks 38 years living with Diabetes.. Now I am no celebrity, but as a child and young teen I attended another Camp for Diabetic Children Called Camp Firefly, which was located about 1 mile away from the Spring Mountain Ski Lodge, near Collegeville ,PA.. As a teen, I was a huge fan of Poision, And, got to see Brett 1 time at a place Called Good fellows in Pottsville PA..but unfortunately Brett was whisked away for a commercial and we did not get to meet him. I would have loved to talk with him about his camp experiences as well as mine at Camp Firefly, which is now closed as well since the early 90′s. Some day My wish is to meet Brett Personally and discuss our experiences. but for now, I just wanted to share my time with you and let you know what a wonderful article this has been to read. It is so wonderful to know that someone has finally stepped up and is helping to find a cure for this desease which over 26,000,000 world wide…. Thank you…

2. Bret Michaels & JDRF Getting Their Cure On Together - MHoskins2179 - All Blogs - Juvenation

[...] Comments 0 Rock legend and longtime Type 1 Bret Michaels has appeared a couple JDRF galas in recent years, but now he's kicking that up a notch by exploring how he can work together more with the JDRF. On May 19, Bret came to the JDRF Indiana Promise Gala and I got some personal time with him! Take a look at what is on the singer's agenda in supporting the diabetes community! We wrote about this today on DiabetesMine. [...]

3. Doris Johnson
    Doris Johnson May 24, 2012 at 7:51 pm | | Reply

Hey Mike and Suzi, it was nice meeting you last weekend at the VIP after party. Deana and I enjoyed talking to you about your battle with diabetes and I can honestly say that you are very inspiring. When Deana and I left the ViP area we were disappointed that they had taken our VIP passes to get Bretts autograph and didn’t return. But low and behold we were in hanging out in the event room listing to the live band and who do we see but the guy who made the promise to us approaching us with our SIGNED passes!!! Yup, he followed thru, how cool is that! Keep up the good work and let me know if you are ever in need of volunteers to help with any events …… :-)

4. Grant A
    Grant A May 29, 2012 at 6:55 pm | | Reply

Great Article

5. Joan Geohegan
    Joan Geohegan June 18, 2012 at 11:50 am | | Reply

I would like to know what Brett’s A1c is, what his pre and post performance numbers are, and why he won’t use a pump? I went to Camp Firefly, too. I got homesick the first day, but learned a great deal about independence and self-injecting. GREAT camp! This year I will be a nurse at a local camp here at home.

6. Beth Ginck
    Beth Ginck December 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm | | Reply

I have had type 1 diabetes since age 19, was actually diagnosed while in nursing school. Grew up in the 80′s as well, loving Poison and Brett as well. The song “give me something to believe in” has a new meaning now! I help at the HDYC camp in Millville every June. My dream is to have Brett with Poison, come to Spyglass Ridge Winery in Sunbury Pa to perform and to specifically benefit kids whose parents can’t afford diabetes camp. The cost is over $1000 for the week. Tom Webb the owner has already given his blessing for such an event. Basically I need to find someone who can get in touch with Brett personally to see if this is something he could contribute to and how much might cost to get him here. My dear friend the Cianflone’s attempted to contact another member of Poison but to date we have not heard back. I know Brett already does so much for diabetes, the JDRF and ADA, just hoping he might help us to do this benefit in Pennsylvia where he grew up and for the cam his mom started whih is now run by Setebaid services, that’s diabetes backwards , and the are non profit as well. My heart swells with pride to see these young people volunteer thero time to come to camp and provide a safe place for children with diabetes to not be different for one full week. Once you experience camp as a child attending or volunteering, you really can’t remain the same. It’s a great experience. Please help me get as many likes as possible in the hope that we can show Brett and the band how many people would support the concert at Spyglass!

7. t stimmel
    t stimmel February 20, 2013 at 4:43 pm | | Reply

Well folks here is what makes me mad. The university of texas in houston is curing diabetes right now with a surgery called an intestinal flip. However you have to have 13 thousand dollars cash no insurance no medicare. This aggravates me too many of us are suffering and dying with this disease. Also for some reason they are the only one in the United States allowed to do the surgery. Where is all the money raised to cure it. Why can’t the average person get saved.

8. Troy
    Troy March 14, 2013 at 10:30 am | | Reply

Have had type 1 diabetes for 42 years. Always been a fan. I’m trying to get my foot in the door to generate donations for the JDRF. I’ve been a money manager for the past 25 years and want to donate half of my advisory fee for any account that comes my way with the words JDRF mentioned. Would love to get Bret interested just have no way of touching base with him. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

9. Julia
    Julia March 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm | | Reply

check out the book about a boy with juvenile diabetes on this wonderful website. The book also deals with bullying, being overweight and diet. FANTASTIC! I am a nurse and think this book is a very good gift for any child/family member or friend of a child with JD.

10. Rockin’ Out with Bret Michaels at Frontier Days – No Kidding | Consumer Grouch

[...] addition to coping with juvenile diabetes, a series of life-threatening medical events turned Michaels’ life upside down starting in [...]