1. Cara
    Cara April 17, 2012 at 6:52 am | | Reply

I’ve never actively thought about it, but it’s not to say I’d never do it. Like you said, ther are times it’s annoying having a pump. But I’m also not willing to give up my cgms & that’s what’s currently attached with my pump.

2. Kathy B.
    Kathy B. April 17, 2012 at 6:55 am | | Reply

I never have considered a vacation. I have been on a pump for 18 yrs; spending the first 17 yrs on injections. I rely on my pump and CGM to give me the feedback information even if it is less than perfect at times. The thought of having to excuse myself to go inject rather than bolusing right there at the lunch table is just not enticing. My pump just seems so much easier than carrying around needles and insulin. Also the thought of trying to figure out how much lantus etc to take just seems overwhelming when I having a decent amount of success with my pump settings. Just my perspective of course :-) .

3. Dave
    Dave April 17, 2012 at 7:19 am | | Reply

When I was on MDI I used to hate exercising while being on Lantus even though I split the dose it would drop me like a rock because it would absorb so much quicker. With the pump I never have that issue because there isn’t that much fast acting insulin on board.

4. Mike (everydayupsanddowns)
    Mike (everydayupsanddowns) April 17, 2012 at 7:26 am | | Reply

Having only recently joined #teampump I am sitting here nodding and smiling. All your MDI challenges are exactly what I like better about being on a pump, but the factors that prompted your pump vacation like the whole ‘being attached’ thing (who on a pump has not had a problem with that) do take some getting used to.

Oddly I have a blog post waiting about my change from MDI to a pump which I really must get around to writing!

5. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins April 17, 2012 at 7:37 am | | Reply

I’ve gone on a pump hiatus a couple times in the past few years, really just to give my body a break and a chance to heal. Been pumping for a decade, and I’m not always the most FDA-compliant as far as site rotation. So some months of being unconnected offered a nice little break, despite not having the same kind of flexibility a pump offers. I actually lowered my A1c pretty significantly during that time, mostly because of the diligence in keeping track of what was needed. So, you can certainly do it! Good luck on the vacation, Allison!!

6. susan f
    susan f April 17, 2012 at 7:59 am | | Reply

You can pry my pump out of my dead cold hands.

What I can’t give up:
    microcorrections- e.g. 0.3 units
    temp basals for exercise, or impending lows that I don’t want to get out of bed for
    microdosing – If I calculate 4.3 units for lunch, I don’t want to get ‘about 4′ or ‘about 4.5′

I’m so used to the micro lifestyle of tiny corrections and very precise boluses that I’d have a hard time adapting.

I did do 24h of lantus earlier this year and ran 200+ most of that time… just not worth it to me!

1. SallyP
      SallyP March 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm | | Reply

I’m on Lantus and struggling to get a pump (I’m in England so the pump would be free and I can have as many test sticks as I like, but it’s hard to get a pump compared with the US – in my area about 1% of type 1s have pumps).

It’s so strange and amazing hearing you talk about pumps being a long term normality. I love the idea of making micro corrections and precise boluses. I have a weird thing where my blood sugar rockets every afternoon, despite my working the ratios hard and injecting huge doses at lunchtime. I split the Lantus, morning and evening but it didn’t make any difference. With that kind of issue going on, using Lantus feels like trying to tap in a small nail using a brick!

7. AmyT
    AmyT April 17, 2012 at 8:18 am | | Reply

I’m 6 years in and still a big fan of #teampump myself. All those memories are still fresh in my mind: of struggling with dosing corrections and struggling to work out when I didn’t have any idea of IOB.

I’m starting to have some “real estate” issues, however, so I could see how my skin would love a vacation sometime soon!

8. Erin
    Erin April 17, 2012 at 8:51 am | | Reply

I went back to MDI after 4 years on the pump when my Medtronic Paradigm 522 broke on Christmas Eve. I haven’t looked back! Blood sugars have been so much more stable without “site issues” or “absorption issues”. Using a Dexcom as my CGM. Not sure if my pump vacation is forever, but still happy almost four months later.

9. John
    John April 17, 2012 at 9:48 am | | Reply

I was on shots for 15 years. Switched to Minimed for another 15 years and now I recently started with Omnipod. From my experiences, I can never go backwards as I have enjoyed the level of freedom and advantages along the way. 4 shots per day was just too annoying, painful, and all the other issues with injections.

Minimed was my first pump experience and it was great for awhile but it had its downsides that became too irritating and annoying; namely the tubing and ‘real estate’.

I wear the Omnipod on the back of my arms. I never used that area before, not even for shots. So, I hope the ‘real estate’ will hold up until the next ‘real breakthrough’ (Smart Insulin, Encapsulation, or dare I say a cure) were to become available. The AP is more of the same from an invasive technology.

I too thought about vacations and once I was forced to take one for a few days; (1) – forgot pump supplies when I went on vacation, and (2) – pump died and needed to wait for a new one. If I were to take a vacation it would be for a day, going to water parks or any contact sporting events.

The best way to manage this illness and preserve some quality of life it thru flexibility (IMO).

10. Stacey D.
    Stacey D. April 17, 2012 at 10:06 am | | Reply

So you never found that bottle of insulin? Boo! Well I hope that was a one time thing during your “vacation”. Having been on both the tubed pump and now the pod, I can see how being tethered to something can get old. Even if it doesn’t bother you most of the time, there are still those moments. And I haven’t even been pumping as long as you. But personally I don’t think I could ever go back to injections. The pump just makes it so much easier all around. I hope you do enjoy it while it lasts and maybe even figure out those morning fasting BGs!

11. Judi
    Judi April 17, 2012 at 11:11 am | | Reply

If you have an iPhone, there are some small apps made for it by Pancreum. One will calculate IOB for you and works pretty well. Worth a try

12. Meg
    Meg April 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm | | Reply

Allison,
    JMHO, but I can’t understand the attitude that if people don’t want to see you inject at the dinner table, that’s just too bad for them. Needles creep lots of people out – I try to be very sensitive to that. Surely, you’d agree there are many medical procedures you’d just as soon not witness?

13. Sir Lunch
    Sir Lunch April 17, 2012 at 7:19 pm | | Reply

i’ve taken the odd vacation here and there, but only for a day or two….the weekend at most…..

I just can’t offer a valid rebuttle to all the freedoms and reasons that make pump therapy that much better…..better is better, hands down!

Good luck, and stay healthy!

Sir Lunch

14. Scott
    Scott April 17, 2012 at 7:45 pm | | Reply

Wow, I’ll jump in on the comment “trying to figure if I need to round up or down when calculator says 8.763 units….” Really – do you think you measured the carbs so accurately that the difference between 8.5 units and 9 units is significant? And that you know exactly how much you will be walking vs. sitting over the next few hours? Or whether someone is going to say something to stress you out during that time?

Sorry to vent, but this comes from a doctor (who is supposed to have a basic education?) yelling at me in the hospital about having a tiny air bubble in the syringe when getting ready to take my 20 unit Lantus shot. I patiently explained the math….assuming it was as large as 1/2 a unit (which it wasn’t….)…1/2 a unit spread over 24 hours amounts to a whopping 1/48th unit per hour. Since I dose 1 unit insulin for 6 grams carbs, this amounts to 1/8 gram of carb per hour…show me a scale that’s that accurate. Or a meal. Or my body…

With all due respect, I think too many diabetics spend way too much time worrying about “rounding error” type issues. I’m guessing taking your insulin shot before you eat would have much bigger impact than whether you round to 8.5 or 9. (Round to whole numbers…you can’t measure carbs accurately enough to get to 1/2 units anyways).

In my opinion of course!
    Scott

1. Mary Fairweather Dexter
      Mary Fairweather Dexter April 18, 2012 at 2:25 pm | | Reply

For some of us, those tiny increments make a huge difference. Some are more insulin sensitive than others and some have much higher ratios. And some of us weigh our food to get as accurate a carb count as we can.

1. slimJim
        slimJim May 1, 2012 at 8:41 am | | Reply

You weigh your food? Who has that kind of time? To each his/her own, but wow that blows my mind. Do you carry a scale around with you? I can’t imagine taking my kids into a restaurant, ordering a meal, picking the food off of my plate to place on a scale, then putting it back. Do you weigh mashed potatoes, apple sauce, creamed corn?

1. June S
          June S May 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm |

to Slim Jim:
          I can’t answer for Mary, but I occasionally weigh things like rolls and chips (out of a big bag) when I’m home. Of course I never do this when I’m eating out!

2. Mary Dexter
          Mary Dexter December 19, 2012 at 9:57 am |

I only weigh certain things at home: potatoes, apples, bagels.

15. Natalie ._c-
    Natalie ._c- April 18, 2012 at 12:08 am | | Reply

I read your post, and I thought I could have been writing it myself. I’ve been pumping for 13 years (only shot for 5 years), and I’ve taken a few pump vacations, but they’ve been very short-lived. It feels good to go naked for a day or two, and have nothing plugged into my belly, but the fact is that I hate shots, I’m lousy at calculating carbs in the first place, let alone taking into account IOB, and I get paranoid about my BGs are doing.

And it occurs to me that by taking a pump vacation, what I’m really trying to do is take a diabetes vacation, and that just doesn’t work. So for me, the end result is that I think the pump is LESS work than shots, although they always tell you it’s more, and I would really hate to have to go back to shots permanently.

16. June S.
    June S. April 18, 2012 at 4:19 am | | Reply

I had considered a pump vacation, because I thought my sites had stopped absorbing. I tweaked my basal doses, and realized I still have enough adequate sites – for the moment. I would NEVER EVER consider giving up my CGM (currently integrated with my MM pump) and when my pump broke for 2 days last year, I did MDI while wearing the empty pump so that I could continue using the CGM. I would like to warn John (above) that if he wears his OmniPod exclusively on his arms, he will be in trouble soon! Put it somewhere else. I tried the OmniPod for one year, and had a combination of adhesive sensitivity (I have sensitive skin) and site problems. I’ve found site problems easier to address using the MM pump, since the smaller infusion set can fit in more places on my skinny body. I can also see whether the Paradigm Silhouette cannula is still under my skin, or whether I’ve hit a blood vessel, because of its little window. Anyway, I did 35 years of MDI before switching to the pump 5 years ago, and had better A1C’s (never ever above 6.5,) but far more hypoglycemic episodes than I do now.) June

17. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston April 18, 2012 at 10:23 pm | | Reply

What a thought-provoking post, Allison! I particularly want to reflect on whether or not I am an “oops-I-already-started-eating-and-now-I-need-to-bolus” pumper — not to mention how that may impact my A1C. I also love the fact that you are shaking things up as a way to re-energize yourself in the struggle for T1 sanity (oops, I mean “the struggle for Bg “control” ;-p).

(Wow I just realized I spent my first 16 years taking injexns; and now it’s been 15 years as a MMD pumper/now CGM’er.)

18. Scott E
    Scott E April 19, 2012 at 5:28 am | | Reply

Ever since starting the pump, I’ve never taken a “vacation”. The night before I started, I was given NPH to take in place of Lantus to avoid an overlap the next morning, and that’s been it for me with that stuff. (Though that new box and color scheme in your picture looks mighty nice!).

I’d love to take a pump-vacation on a weekend here and then, particularly one that involves swimming/boating/that kind of stuff, but I feel it would take a day or two just to make the transition from long-acting to rapid-acting (or vice-versa) and get my numbers back in check. By then, the weekend is over. I’m really curious to see how people transition on and off so seamlessly.

19. NancyW
    NancyW April 20, 2012 at 7:57 am | | Reply

Since I am a new pumper the thought of a vacation has not come up yet. So far (2 months) I am liking wearing the Omnipod a lot. So much easier than injections and bs levels have been great especially upon arising. The pod is so easy to wear – I rotate between the back of my arms; on my back above my waist; and on my upper buttocks area. All of these work well for me and I have not knocked a pod off. I don’t feel tethered because of the pump and can easily swim and exercise. The only time I foresee a pod vacation is when I am scuba diving. At that time I will just use a pen injection for a few days before going back to my pods Hopefully I will continue being as happy in future as I am now.

20. Ben
    Ben April 21, 2012 at 8:09 pm | | Reply

Hi Allison,

I really appreciate this post. I’ve used a pump for about 12 years and I recently took a little vacation, which I also blogged about. So much scar tissue had built up on my favorite real estate plots that I began to get lots of angry “no delivery” messages from my pump, enough to convince me the pump was broken.

The thing that really hit me about using MDI (and not having my CGM) was that I only was a diabetic when I was taking shots, testing my BG, or dealing with being too high or too low (which happened a lot more on MDI). I just thought about diabetes a lot less. I stopped reflexively reaching for that little plastic part of my body.

Anyway, the vacation was fun, but I’m a lot healthier with the pump and CGM. The upside of the whole experience was that I started splitting my orders of infusion sets so that half have the longest tubing possible and the other half have the shortest tubing possible. This way, I can start using the backs of my arms as new and untapped real estate. This must be what manifest destiny felt like!

Thanks,

Ben

21. June S.
    June S. April 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm | | Reply

Well, I had not “planned” a pump vacation, but I am on a short one since my MM Revel pump broke yesterday. It got a “button error,” and the company could not send a replacement overnight via UPS so I have to wait until tomorrow morning. I’m actually enjoying it. I set my alarm for 3 a.m. (since my pump is integrated with a CGMS.) At that hour my BG was 95, so I drank 4 oz. of juice. I awakened at 7:30 a.m. with a BG of 100. So far, so good. Last night I treated myself to a bubble bath. I haven’t had a long one of those since 2008, when I started pumping. I’m always afraid of getting the IV 3000 that attach my transmitter too wet!

22. Mike
    Mike April 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm | | Reply

Very, Very timely post as it relates to me. Been on a pump for 12 years and I’ve decided to take a vacation to see how it goes. I’ve been getting very frustrated with cannula and absorption issues over the past few months. The only time my BS seems to run high is when I have these issues. I wear an Omnipod and the Dexcom 7 plus CGM. I do love the Omnipod, but I just need a break. Moving to MDI’s does seem daunting, but I don’t see how it could hurt to try it. If I don’t like or I’m not getting the results then I will just go back to my Omnipod.

1. NancyW
      NancyW April 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm | | Reply

Mike – I notice you wear an Omnipod and Dexcom 7 – do you mind saying if you like that combination? I am not currently using a CGM but am starting to think about it and was looking at the Dexcom with my Omnipod.
      Thanks for any insights you could share with me.
      NancyW

1. Mike
        Mike April 24, 2012 at 6:44 pm | | Reply

Hi NancyW

Yes, I very much like the Omnipod + Dexcom combo. I’ve tried the MM CGM and have been wearing the Dexcom for almost 6 months and I by far prefer the Dex. I’ve gotten 20+ days out of multiple times. Relatively painless to insert Dex and small sensor. Hopefully Omnipod and Dex can be integrated in near future.

On a side note … Part of reason I feel somewhat comfortable with trying a pump vacation is because of my Dex. Not sure I would be so adventurous without it!!!!!

Best of luck with your decision and let me know if you need anymore information. Be happy to share.

1. NancyW
          NancyW April 25, 2012 at 4:02 am |

Thanks for your reply Mike. Much appreciated. I am planning on talking with my endo in a couple of weeks about this issue and your comments help give me real life feedback. I thought the Dexcom looked really small and might be the way to go. Knowing you paired it so sucussfully with the Omnipod is great info.
          Good luck with your pump vacation!

23. slimJim
    slimJim May 1, 2012 at 8:51 am | | Reply

I am going to the Doc today to tell him I am taking a pump vacation! I’ve been taking 1-2 day vacations twice per month for 6 months now, but I’ve been going at it without the use of a long acting which is near impossible. The good part about it is that I have to test every hour, and like you said, I am far less likely to sneak one of my kid’s Rice Krispy Treats without the ability to just pump in the extra 1.4 units of fast acting insulin!
    I love my Pods, but I think I need a couple of weeks break this summer. I am going to ask for Lantus scripts and a fast acting pen to carry around.
    What fast acting insulin should I use? I used Humolog back when I was diagnosed in 05, but I switched to Novolog when I got my first pump (Cozmo). There was a reason I switched but I can’t remember it. I think the Novolog works faster if my mermory serves correct.

1. NancyW
      NancyW May 1, 2012 at 9:53 am | | Reply

Until I switched to a pump (Omnipod) in February of this year, I used Novalog FlexPen and it was great. Very fast-acting and so easy! If I was going to go off the pump that’s what I would use again.
      Good luck to you!

24. Diabetic Girl’s $10,000 Insulin Pump Ruined By Radiation From TSA Body Scanner « News Worldwide

[...] Taking a Pump Vacation (diabetesmine.com) [...]

25. Hannah Loftis
    Hannah Loftis May 11, 2012 at 9:42 am | | Reply

I have been on vacation from the pump since the middle of march. I was going through really bad deppression, and getting off of the pump seemed best. I planned on going back on. and I still am. But I was on it for 7 years. I just needed a break. Now I don’t feel like i’m the only one that felt that way :)

26. June S.
    June S. May 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm | | Reply

I began an indefinite pump vacation one week ago today. I had a pump failure, then when the pump replacement arrived I experienced 4 infusion site issues in 3 days! That did it. I am really enjoying being on injections. I still wear the Medtronic pump (without its reservoir/tubing) since I love the CGMS system. The advantages of insulin injecting, for me, are that my BG all week has never gone above 200 (and only once) and I notice that injected insulin is very rapidly absorbed. I’m using a Lantus Solo Star pen (so as not to confuse Lantus with Apidra) and I moved my 10:30 p.m. Lantus injection (which is when I took it from 2002 until 2006) to 7:30 a.mj. in order to avoid a low at 4:00 a.m. This may very well become a PERMANENT pump vacation. My nighttime BGs are good on Lantus, and it seems to be lasting for a full 24 hours. I am itching to try the DexCom system, and have put out feelers to them!

27. Diane Bajalia
    Diane Bajalia July 6, 2012 at 5:45 am | | Reply

Allison – How is your pump vacation going? I started one on the 4th of July when I got the fatal “button error!” Of course, no overnight shipping on a holiday so I am waiting on the arrival of my replacement pump. Yesterday was rough but today is going better – woke up with a 75 so I am happy. I am a little afraid to eat :) and I definitely will be more carb conscious. My dr gave me Levomir and Humalog pens as a backup before I left the US in March as a back up and that is what I have been using. Any thoughts? After 16 years of pumping, this is the first time I have not been attached. I did regular shots before that for 6 years and I hated it. I am enjoying it way more than I thought I would … missing my CGM though.

28. Linda T
    Linda T July 30, 2012 at 8:42 am | | Reply

I started a pump vacation this past weekend. I have been on the pump since August of last year. I have type 2 diabetes and we thought this might give better control. At this point in the game,
    I am not totally sold on it. I have had a lot of issues with
    absorption and been disappointed at times with the quality of
    the cannulas from medtronic. I know with the needle it is going
    to the right spot and laying on the side that has the cannula is
    not going to affect it etc. Also, In this extreme heat, I am not so fond of wearing the pump outside as to affect the insulin so I take it off anyway. Plus I have a hard time sleeping with it. and have had alot of lows with it at night. And of course the expense. I have a $1500 deductible and the Ins. won’t pay
    for anything until I have met that…so with times being tight
    the injections are a lot cheaper. It’s only $30 for a box of
    needles as compared to $120 for a box of 10 cannulas which does not last a month if you change like you should. Figuring my carbs is not such a big deal, you have to look at what you eat anyway to figure how many carbs to put in the pump so one extra step is not that much. I do have the CMG, and am
    not so impressed with that. Its neat to use to get a baseline and for a reference to see highs and lows, put after 3 months, my DR and I have figured it is about 10-15 points difference from actually blood sugar reading. ANd the other bad side is, alot of people, myself included because “lazy” for lack of a better word, because they have the pump and you don’t really have to think about it. But the upside is, no injections, it is there and doing it’s thing. It is cool like that. I think for type 1 it is a much better option and solution than type 2.

29. Laurie
    Laurie August 26, 2012 at 10:39 pm | | Reply

I’m on my third week of a summer pump vacation and am loving it! I have had the same challenges as you (the math, the shots!!). The difference of a half unit is 50+ points for me, so I always round DOWN. But I’ve really enjoyed being able to jump into the ocean with my kids w/o unhooking my pump, and rocking my summer dresses without an unbecoming bulge. :)

I was surprised when my endo told me that her tightest-controlled patients are on shots + CGMS. I can see where I’m less lazy on the shots than on my pump… It’s more condusive to calculate an accurate meal shot and skip any snacking then it is to take a correction shot or an additional shot for grazing.

I think I’ll stay on vacation… at least until my Humalog pens run out.

30. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter December 19, 2012 at 10:06 am | | Reply

After fighting bubble problems in my reservoirs and tubing for 3 months, I am going back to MDI for Christmas. Good to hear that others are mixing the CGM with injections.

It’s the emotional side that’s confusing. I am attached to my pump psychologically and it’s failure to work despite my best efforts feels like a betrayal. First my pancreas, now my pump.

31. Puddin
    Puddin January 4, 2013 at 7:23 am | | Reply

I would not take a pump vacation. I consider my pump the vacation from MDI and would not go back – even after 12 years.
    I did recently take a blood sugar vacation though. I know, I know, I do not endorse anyone doing this – it is dangerous. But man, I cannot tell you how freeing it was for just a week to not test….And more importantly, to allow myself to not feel guilty about it. It was almost like not being diabetic.

32. Regina
    Regina May 5, 2013 at 9:37 am | | Reply

I’m taking one now as of 6:30am! I just decided this morning, so I’ll keep you posted. :) I know I’ve seen you in the #DSMA chat, so thrilled to find your blog. I was happy to find this post because it just proves I’m not crazy for wanting to take a bit of a rest.

33. Hannah Pandya
    Hannah Pandya August 10, 2013 at 8:10 pm | | Reply

I’m taking a pump holiday as soon as I can a perscription for Lantus and Novolog pens and figure out my dosages. I’m doing it, number one, because I have been using the same pump sites for 5 years, and the scar tissue is lessening the absorbsion of the insulin. I get awful scars from my infusion sites, so I have a limited number of places I can put put them. Also, I have been on a pump since I was three years old (I’m 14 now) and it is time for a break. I am tired of the feeling of being constantly connected to a machine, of not being able to disconnect for more than an hour, and of being afraid of damaging a $10,000 machine or ripping my tubing or infusion sites out, as well as all the supplies I have to lug around. I plan to be off it for least 6 months or a year preferably, to give all the scar tissue a chance to heal.

34. Phoebe
    Phoebe August 12, 2013 at 7:41 am | | Reply

I’m so glad I came across this! I am speaking to my doctor this week about going on a pump vacation (3-6 months, enough to get a couple of A1c’s). I have been considering this for a while, seeing as I don’t use the fancy settings for exercise or large meals, I’ve tried them in the past but they’e left me with outrageous highs. Also, I’ve recently upped the amount of activity in my life. I compete in tough mudders (an all day event that makes dealing with a pump impossible). Another thing I;ve noticed, as my weight has gone down, the likelihood of my pump site kinking has gone way up!! I wake up all the time to extreme highs and occasionally moderate DKA because of kinked sites. I’m pretty excited/nervous about how this will go….

35. Rocio
    Rocio September 15, 2013 at 10:49 pm | | Reply

Hello there everyone. I’ve been diabetic for 26 years now, and I been on an insulin pump for the last 13 years. For the last 2 months I have been having a lot of issues with my infusion sets. I was using a soft cannula set and starting having extremely high blood sugars and I figure it was due to the cannula been kinked. I switched infusions sets to a stainless steel needle cannula and now my pump after about 12 hours of inserting the new infusion set gives me an occlusion alarm. The tip of the needle is getting clogged. I don’t know what to do anymore, has anyone has this problem with their infusion sets? I’m so desperate that my next step is to go back to injections and be off the pump for a while. I hope I can do it, I love the pump for the freedom it gives me, but I don’t know what to do……..something is wrong, its like my body is reacting to the infusion site and clogging it. I need to talk to my diabetes educator about switching back to injections, how much slow acting and fast acting insulin I need to use……..all this is soooooo stressful and overwhelming, but I need to take control of my blood sugars, they have been running way to high for the last few weeks that I’m just too scared that my body and organs can be damaged. Thank you!!!!

36. Lisa
    Lisa July 28, 2014 at 1:52 pm | | Reply

Well, I think I just drew the final straw yesterday while at Typhoon Lagoon with my husband and 7 year old. I NEED A PUMP VACATION! It would have been so nice to take shots yesterday and not have to worry about my pump, about the Tegaderm patch that keep rolling on me because I was sweating like the Dickens, about my blood sugar because I had to disconnect to ride a few of the slides and the list goes on. I could have cried when half-way through the day I had to get out of the water because my site was bothering me, the sticky on the set stopped sticking and the Tegaderm patch finally just plain came off. I made the fellas just continue without me, telling them I was tired–when I was not and still raring to go! UUUgggh! Next time–I’m taking a vacation on my Vacation!