1. Marion
    Marion April 4, 2012 at 8:00 am | | Reply

Medtronic is good at getting pumps to you when they break… I went swimming in the ocean with mine while pregnant in DE which does not have a public airport in the state. I had a new pump in hand with in 12 hours of calling medtronic.

But my new endocrine did not understand why I just keep a spare off pump prescriptions in my meter versus getting them filled. even when I told her crap does not happen at home. it happens at 11 pm on a Saturday 3 states away where you cannot find your pharmacy to just get an emergency refill. I guess I just won’t follow doctors orders.

Also get a emergency script for syringes, some states require them living in a state that doesn’t I have ran in the problem of they would give me insulin but nothing to get it into my body with.

2. Tamara
    Tamara April 4, 2012 at 9:20 am | | Reply

My pump broke while I was in Florida. I am a Canadian, I had no lantus with me and no spare pump. I attached the link to my blog with the whole story.
    God Bless Medtronic customer service!
    I hate when you pass through security and are faced with an idiot!
    The same thing happened to me only once, ironically it was when flying home from Arizona.
    Maybe the same person?

3. Marge Stromberg
    Marge Stromberg April 4, 2012 at 10:01 am | | Reply

About ten years ago we went to Vienna, Austria to visit our daughter. On the flight to Vienna I discovered my resevoir was almost empty, so went to change it. Oh my! In the stress of packing I had packed the almost empty bottle of insulin instead of the full one. I could have kissed the pharmacist at the corner pharmacy who ordered me a new vial from Germany. She was willing to do it because the perscription label was on the insulin box. Lesson learned (I hope!).

4. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver April 4, 2012 at 11:25 am | | Reply

If it makes you feel better, I dropped a baggie of insulin and both vials broke. Lesson learned: half it and put them in seperate places.

I also had a pump failure on Christmas.

5. Diabetic Survival Kit
    Diabetic Survival Kit April 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

Glad you had a good time. I am often called by patients who have out of town relatives visiting who have mishaps. I always tell them I was glad to be able to help out, and just keep moving forward. When disaster strikes, learn from it, be prepared the next time, and then stop thinking about it.

6. Stoyan Z.
    Stoyan Z. April 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | | Reply

Very interesting post! I don’t travel by plane nearly as often, but I get a bit frustrated by it too. Hard to look after diabetes while traveling. And if there is a time difference involved, then my BS numbers are messed up for days it seems…

7. Marco Bianchi
    Marco Bianchi April 4, 2012 at 4:24 pm | | Reply

When i’m away from home, on top of my regular pump and meter supplies (double the quantity) I always have my old insulin pump as a backup, an extra insulin cartridge, an one insulin pen. then bring along an extra cartridge of basal insulin. Of course an extra glucose meter.

8. Anne
    Anne April 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm | | Reply

The TSA is laughable sometimes!!! ridiculous.

9. Sarah
    Sarah April 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm | | Reply

I can’t complain about Medtronic’s pump replacement service – I accidently drowned my pump in a river in Belize and after calling them via radio phone from the middle of the jungle, they were able to get a new one to me within two and half days.

10. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston April 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm | | Reply

omg that DOA photo of your insulin bottle is scary-looking! (it’s my nightmare to pull it out of my bag and see that!) I’ve never had that happen (30 years T1D), but I did once have the air cabin pressure empty a new reservoir I was trying to fill in the airplane, so I lost a lot of insulin at the beginning of a trip – bummer. I’ve also soaked my pump and had MMD replace it toute de suite.

I’m traveling in 2 weeks from Boston to Denver, so this is a really timely post!

11. Jay
    Jay April 5, 2012 at 7:05 am | | Reply

Business idea: design insulin bottle bumpers, same idea as iPhone bumpers-so they don’t break when you drop the bottle. Charge $29 for each piece of glorified rubber. You could display them at pharmacies where people pick up their insulin and have designer colors and everything from hot pink to leopard skin.

1. Mary Fairweather Dexter
      Mary Fairweather Dexter April 6, 2012 at 7:13 am | | Reply

Walgreens does sell a rubber bottle bumper in red and blue; one is for long-acting, the other for rapid. I think they cost a couple of bucks.

12. Scott E
    Scott E April 5, 2012 at 11:21 am | | Reply

Thanks for the advice! I’m traveling across the country next month (yeah, I know some people do it every day!), and I’ll sure remember to get a prescription for Lantus (and Novolog pens, while I’m at it) when I see my endo before that. I’ll also bring those TSA docs, just in case. Paper is easy to carry, it doesn’t break, and it doesn’t expire. Good idea!

13. Bill
    Bill April 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm | | Reply

Had a TSA droid in Phoenix last time insist that I take off my pump and put it through the X-ray with laptop…including, she said “all that tubing and whatever it’s attached to…..” I asked for a supervisor, and she backed down on that.

But, then snatched my wallet out of the tray (you have to take even non-metallic stuff out where they have the new “nude-o-scope” scanners) and disappeared out of my sight to “put it through the x-ray again.”

There’s no doubt that the TSA is providing employment for the unemployable, and sharply reducing airline revenue. I know that I’ve about tripled the radius in which I choose to drive rather than fly.

And there is the TSA screamer in Hartford last week, who kept shouting “take off your cell phone” and wasn’t interested in stopping her shouting long enough to listen to an explanation.

The natural hassle of all the stuff we have to carry is bad enough, but the TSA’s inconsistency is the last straw.

14. type 1 in Sacramento
    type 1 in Sacramento April 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm | | Reply

When I travel I have my bottles of insulin the box they come in. They don’t break in the box & the box has the prescription label on the box. I also make sure that I bring my TSA docs & all my doctor’s note docs when I fly in case the agent needs some education. If I have a problem I ask to speak to a supervisor and that usually stops the insanity. Its good to keep a check list of everything we pumpers have to bring that way when we fly we will not forget stuff. Plus I always give myself plenty of time as a cushion because the TSA agent will go through my stuff every time and take forever because I have to EDUCATE them again. I love this story it helps me prepare for when I travel. ((Hugs to all the Pumpers))

15. A
    A April 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm | | Reply

Sometimes the button error happens due to moisture getting in. Happened to me once on a Saturday (pump out of warranty and Medtronic help 2 days away). Leaving it in dry place for few hours got it back to working fine.

16. Roger Curtis
    Roger Curtis April 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm | | Reply

I had the same button error on a family vacation down to Australia. I was on a small island on the Great Barrier Reef 40 miles off the coast. In my case I had tucked my pump under a wetsuit for snorkeling. When I got out of the water the pump was frozen. I was able to get through to Medtronic and learned (the hard way) that if a button is depressed for over 30 minutes the pump disables and there’s no way to clear it.

It was a long night taking Novolog every two hours. Fortunately I had my backup pump in a suitcase back at the mainland airport – I always take it on international trips. If you get a new pump don’t turn in the old one, it may come in handy some day.

17. Marilyn Taylor
    Marilyn Taylor April 26, 2012 at 6:32 am | | Reply

What TSA docs are people referring to. I have a doctors (endo) listing my DM1 and needs for suppies,pump. etc.

18. Ashley
    Ashley November 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | | Reply

This happened to me, and it’s funny when you say they will brake on a saturdat night cuz yes it was saturday too and not only that, monday was a holiday too, such is luck

19. Discovering the human connection in the virtual world: The social media journey of diabetes educator Hope Warshaw | SurroundHealth Blog

[...] about a blog post from Diabetes Mine. Allison Nimlos, the writer who has type 1 diabetes and is a regular blogger for diabetesmine.com, went to a wedding and the bottle of insulin she was using broke, then her pump [...]