1. Sysy
    Sysy April 19, 2012 at 10:21 am | | Reply

The thing with moderation is that if all of one’s diet is made up of not so healthy food, then…moderation is what? Just eat whatever you want in small portions? It helps but it still causes loads of issues in the long run. Especially since that’s the road to deficiencies and overdoses of certain vitamins, minerals, and foods. I know all about that since I used to have small portions of everything but everything I ate wasn’t so good to begin with. And my blood pressure and cholesterol reflected that.

Just wanted to say that…and also, real food always tastes great. I cook with healthy fats and loads of spices and herbs and then choose from tons of veggies and protein sources. They tell me saturated fat isn’t diabetic friendly but since adding what I consider healthy saturated fat (small amounts of butter and organic coconut oil) my lipids are awesome and my food never tastes like cardboard. By being low on the carb side it’s pretty friendly for this diabetic, as well.

I love how you, Mike, admit you don’t feel like changing your diet. Because I think many people share your sentiments. It’s not a coincidence that many of the people out there who eat a very healthy diet do so because of some major health issue that was making their life really difficult and they felt like food was their last hope.

I had to change my diet because I didn’t like so many of my symptoms (which others are void of).

I do like to encourage people with symptoms they don’t want in their life to look into changing their food choices just a tiny bit and see if that gives any relief. You’d be surprised :)

At the very least this campaign puts more awareness out there in front of people with diabetes. We benefit so much from healthier food choices, it’s great to at least be aware of the constant opportunity (at each meal!) to feel better, think clearer, and live longer. I don’t want to die young “because of diabetes”. I want to live a long time because despite diabetes, I ate a healthy diet and lead an active lifestyle. Not easy, but worth aspiring to, considering the misery we’re looking to avoid down the road. Wow that was depressing and long, sorry! I just feel that too many people with diabetes don’t truly realize the power of nutrition and exercise and maybe if they did, they’d feel better :D XOXO

2. Mel
    Mel April 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm | | Reply

I honestly don’t understand what a diabetes diet in the year 2012 is exactly. I know that my “diabetes diet” in the 90s when I was diagnosed consisted of a certain number of exchanges and nothing with more than 7g of sugar, etc., but how is that still relevant today?
    It seems to me, that by saying “diabetes diet” they really are referring to a healthy diet low in fat and simple carbs… basically what everyone should be eating. So why use that terminology? I tend to think it is merely a marketing ploy that is perpetuating the myth that those this diabetes must follow a set diet. So for that I say, thank you to the Deen family for helping to fuel ignorance.

1. Jan74
      Jan74 May 28, 2012 at 11:58 am | | Reply

My dietitian said the exact same thing you did – that a “diabetes diet” is the way everyone should be eating, except few people without diabetes have the motivation to do it. Getting the 5 daily servings of vegetables, balancing all meals with good carb, protein, and fats, and eating every 3h. Just healthy eating.

3. Tim
    Tim April 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm | | Reply

I tell everyone who intimates that I can’t eat this or that: “My diet is nothing special. I’m eating how the doctors have been telling us to eat for years.” I eat good food prepared in a low fat way, using complex carbohydrates, lean meat and lots of vegetables. I go easy on the fruit, but I halve an apple a least two times a day. Admittedly, I am only a baby diabetic (3 years), but I agree with Mel. There is no “diabetes” diet that we’ve agreed on yet and seeing as we are ALL different and have different diseases (T1, T2 and gestational for starters), we never will.

4. Amy D. Hopkins
    Amy D. Hopkins April 20, 2012 at 10:54 am | | Reply

Unable to access gumbo recipe. Notice to alert you to problem of improper access code(?).

5. Tess
    Tess April 20, 2012 at 4:07 pm | | Reply

One of my colleagues, a long time diabectic, told me when I was first diagnosed that “if you want to know how everyone should be eating – look at a diabectic’s plate.”. The diabectic diet is actually a range of choices that anyone can make and that do improve health. I know since changing my eating habits I feel better and if I do have a meltdown my poor body is in such distress afterwards that it is very clear to me that our food system is actually slowly posioning us.

6. Best Foods For Diabetics
    Best Foods For Diabetics April 21, 2012 at 7:21 am | | Reply

The fact is, there is no one diet that works for every single person and that includes diabetics. However there are certain foods that may be more beneficial to one person than another depending upon their particular body and health concerns (like Tim said). That’s something we each need to research and test for ourselves. Like Tess was saying, if you’re eating the right foods you can tell. And on the flip side, if you’re eating the wrong foods for your body and health condition you can Really tell.

7. NewsFlash: TCOYD Launching Type 1 Track! : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] Meanwhile, the Type 2 Track will focus on its core topics such as non-insulin medications, motivation and lifestyle changes, etc., and a cooking demonstration with Bobby Deen. [...]