1. AmyT
    AmyT April 18, 2012 at 8:25 am | | Reply

My oldest daughter volunteered in a program with autistic kids a few years ago. The boy she was assigned to was actually a twin, but only he had type 1 diabetes. The hardest part was when he’d go low, because he would get crazy and start swinging at people, or sometimes go catatonic.

As he got older, taller and stronger, they had to move him to a special institution where he could be restrained better when the lows hit. Still breaks my heart. My daughter had a real connection with that boy!

1. James
      James November 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm | | Reply

I have an 18 year old autistic daughter with some aggression and self injury issues. I am suspicious that her aggression may sometimes be triggered by low blood glucose levels. She is non-compliant with medical procedures though, so getting blood requires sedation, restraints and a sizable crew of stout wranglers. I’d like to monitor her blood glucose levels to test my hypothesis. Does anyone know of any monitor that works for non-compliant patients? I like the C8 Medisensors concept, but I don’t think the device is available yet.

1. Susan
        Susan November 8, 2012 at 1:18 pm | | Reply

Hi James, blood glucose meters for diabetics need much, much less blood than a typical blood draw — the home use units take just a tiny droplet. I understand that your son is not compliant but I wonder if he could handle a prick as opposed to what you might be thinking as per a lab draw?

I don’t know of any meter that is tailored to meet the needs of a non-cooperating patient. But the Freestyle Lite meter requires the smallest sample of any of the meters on the market, that is what we use. A small bead is all it takes.

Good luck,
        Susan

2. Susan
      Susan November 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm | | Reply

Uh, why wouldn’t they just give him something sweet to eat when “the lows hit” instead of restraint and institutionalization? This sounds like abuse, not diabetes management.

2. Anne
    Anne April 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm | | Reply

It would have been helpful if they gave the stats on those moms with diabetes during their pregnancy. it’s like saying diabetes causes kidney failure–yes it does, but how you control your BGs throughout the course of your disease has a big effect. were these moms coming into pregnancy with A1cs of 7 or 10? without that I can’t really spend too much time worrying about it.

3. Penny
    Penny April 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm | | Reply

I have three daughters – my oldest who is 15 has autism and was diagnosed at age 2 1/2, a 13 year old and a 9 year old who has Type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed 3 years ago. Do I think there is a connection? Well, I think something is awry in our immune gene pool, yes. I consider my oldest daughter’s autism a reaction to the multiple, multiple vaccinations that assaulted her already compromised immune system. It ‘tipped’ her over into autism. She was born completely healthy, happy, spoke at a normal age and hit all her milestones. We lost her to autism at age 2 and 3 months later, everything was lost – eye contact, communication, everything.

All in all, I think we rolled the dice and have these two things in our family. Connection? Maybe. Maybe not.

1. Tim
      Tim April 20, 2012 at 6:13 am | | Reply

There may indeed be a connection between immunity problems, autism and diabetes, but it’s not vaccinations. That whole Dr. Wakefield thing was completely renounced by the Lancet. They found out after the articles publication that Dr. Wakefield had been taking money from a lawyer suing vaccine makers. The paper itself also did not prove there was a link between MMR and autism and the results couldn’t be replicated.
      I myself am Type 1 and have Aspberger’s, so I want the scientists to get it right AND I want children to be protected from childhood diseases. My generation (I’m 46) were very fortunate to have the vaccines that were available to us–they helped virtually eliminate whooping cough and polio in 25 years.

4. Penny
    Penny April 20, 2012 at 7:09 am | | Reply

Tim,
    I respectfully disagree with you about vaccinations and autism. I think it was a PART of what played into my daughter having autism. Vaccinations are far different now than in your, and mine era. By the time I was 2, in 1966, I received 2 vaccinations. My daughter, comparably, by the age of 2, received 14. Yes, 14. On one doctor visit, the one that resulted in non stop screaming for 3 hours, red marks all over her body and eyes rolling back into her head – that day was a vaccination total of 4 alone.
    You may quote and unquote, state and unstate Wakefield. There are thousands of parents with autism, hundreds of thousands, who see a causal link between vaccinations and autism. My daughter also had a total of 62.5 micrograms of thimerosal, a mercury additive, by the time she was done 14 vaccinations. You and I, no thimerosal.
    I am not anti-vaccine. I believe in them. I believe they have cured diseases that have been almost eradicated from this Earth. I want a safe, timely vaccine schedule for children. I want thimerosal out of vaccines. I want additives that create a long shelf life out of vaccines. I want truthful vaccine adverse reporting by the companies. I could go on and on.
    I respectfully disagree with what you state.

5. Sonia
    Sonia June 5, 2012 at 12:28 am | | Reply

When you give the child attention, eduticaon, direction, in general, you are helping. If a child can write, but not talk, then allowing them to write is good. It really depends upon exactly what you are planning. You can keep giving them higher level work in the areas they are good at, but also it’s good to encourage areas that are weak. I am guessing you are looking at what to do in an eduticaon class It’s good to take your cues from the child. When you observe him/her, you can then develop a plan that fits. If you are a parent looking at ridding symptoms of autism, than this may not be necessary. Thousands have been recovered from treating for pathogens and toxins, my children included. Education did not help them progress much, but biomed took away all those issues. Now they are not distinguishable from any others, and are in regular school. So, basically, biomed did miracles and eduticaon did very little for my children. You can learn all about it by googling autism recovery autism pleomorphic pathogens

6. Susan
    Susan June 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

I have a son who is 12 and is seriously affected by autism. He is also a type 1 diabetic. I think the biggest issue in our life is the difficulty this intersection creates in caregiving and access to programs. The reality is that people who are comfortable and accustomed to working with autism have zero experience with diabetes and the very idea of it is frightening to them. For the most part they feel “maxed out” with their current level of responsibility and reject the idea of learning about diabetes care.

By the same token, diabetes people are absolutely flummoxed at the mention of autism and the camps, programs, and groups that exist to support diabetics are loathe to create an inclusive environment. They too feel “maxed out” and have little or no desire to adapt to meet the needs of the developmentally disabled.

That leaves our parents stranded — not only for our kids during younger years, when we desperately need things like summer camp and after-school programs — but also as our kids grow into adulthood. Group homes and other supported living facilities are not set up for or licensed for medical care. Our adult children will either need to live at home or in a facility designed for people with much more serious medical conditions, which is not conducive to maximum independence and access to peer support.

Finding out your child has a double diagnosis is one of the loneliest positions a parent can be in. You are no longer the same as the many parents with an autistic child you used to call your fellow travelers. You can no longer access the same programs or the same caregiver pool. No one will understand your world except another parent who lives it — and we are few and far between.

1. Beth
      Beth March 23, 2013 at 4:09 pm | | Reply

My son was just diagnosed with Asperger’s at 14. He was diagnosed with Type One Diabetes at 7. It is extremely overwhelming. I am looking for a support group or someone who can give me a bit of guidance.

7. cherish
    cherish August 20, 2012 at 6:15 pm | | Reply

My youngest son was diagnosed with classic/severe autism when he was 2.He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 8.
    I was reading studies about it and the chance of having severe autism and type 1 is about 1 in 100,000

8. louise
    louise October 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm | | Reply

I have an 11yr old son who has mild Autistic disorder / ADHD and this year T1 diabetes. It is not a great mix! Any of the above are a challenge but the mix is really, really hard!

1. Donna Cooper
      Donna Cooper October 30, 2012 at 6:27 am | | Reply

Hi. My son was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as well.
      He has autism, though seems Aspie like at this point in his life.
      Would love for you to email me, maybe we could support each other. The Cooper Family without any spaces at America Online. I have a feeling they would probably not send my email if I wrote it normally. We live in Maryville, TN. Look forward to hearing from you!

9. Lesley
    Lesley January 11, 2013 at 10:55 am | | Reply

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share some of the behaivoral experiences they have had with their autistic children with diabetes. I work with a severly autistic, non-verbal 13 year old boy at school. His parents are not cooperating nor wanting to hear our concerns regarding their child, his aggressive behaivors, and our suspicion of diabetes. He has been experiencing several diabetes like symptoms along with his increasing aggression. I am just wondering what type of behaivors others have experienced when dealing with the highs and lows of diabetes and autism. Please feel free to email me with any information or experiences that I may be able to research and try to figure out a way to approach his parents and team with my concerns.

10. karl Fenn
    karl Fenn March 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm | | Reply

We do have autistic pateints in Norfolk, I have not seen any link, I often attened clinics for diabetes, I have not encountered any autistic patients attending, it might be they get a different treatment and care plan
    regeim, if they are in care, it is interesting article but with so many new cases of diagnosis, and increased numbers of
    people developing diabetes could it be conclusive. There appears to be no easy obtainable data in this area, on the
    figures of autisic people, or autistic people with diabetes, I
    will see if I can find out what the situation is my area.

11. karl Fenn
    karl Fenn March 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm | | Reply

I have just found a huge library of informaion for help with autisim in the classroom Google Simply: Helping Children with
    Autiism, there is a wealth of information available, this is UK google
    site by the way.

12. Jillian
    Jillian October 30, 2013 at 10:16 pm | | Reply

I am a single mother of two beautiful boys. My eldest, Michael will be 13 this week and was diagnosed type 1 at the age of 6, and my autistic 2yr old – Kane, is a blessing, but a handful. There is a connection with the increasing numbers of juvenile, type 1 diabetics and autistic diagnoses. I believe BPA bottles and other FDA accepted nutritional products caused my eldest to be type 1, but my autistic toddler is as organic as they come and refuses to eat meat most of the time, and only drinks lactose free milk. So, how did he go from a 20 month old genius, to having seizures and having to re-learn how to speak? Hmmmmm…. I never gave him any medication but the usual teeth tablets and Tylenol, until he was so congested (RSVP baby) that the doctor told me to try Benadryl, and regrettably I did. After his first dose seizures started and lasted 9 days, his speech was gone and he was no longer the same little boy; now autistic spectrum.
    There IS a LINK!
    Thank you.

13. Ammey Kohen
    Ammey Kohen April 30, 2014 at 6:31 pm | | Reply

Wow :) here I am searching google for information and resources on Type 1 Diabetes and Autism and I stumble upon an article with my name in it! I remember doing an interview years ago. Now my son is 21 and he is struggling with self care. He has moved back home and I have had to assume a lot of responsibility for his healthcare needs. It’s funny to me how a young adult with an ASD can talk physics and Trigonometry but they can’t remember their insulin or to test or even bathe or sleep. I feel pretty lost right now. My son has enough awareness to see the issues but he feels totally overwhelmed and doesn’t know if he will ever be able to function like he wants to. It is a lot to address when there are so many layers to it. This comorbid combo is a beast. I’m looking for support and resources pretty hard lately. I thank you for including me in this well written post :)

14. Yaumara Lindo
    Yaumara Lindo August 12, 2014 at 10:02 am | | Reply

My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with autism at 2 and isnonverbal. Just last week she was diagnosed with Type I diabetes. I am absolutely devastated.

15. Colin Russell
    Colin Russell August 19, 2014 at 9:29 am | | Reply

My 4year old grandson with autism has just been diagnosed with type.1 diabetes absolutely gutted he’s the 4th generation to have it my son and i can han handle it we’ve had it for 14years but hoe are we going to get through this with a 4yr old who goes ballistic with change HELP