1. Roach
    Roach April 21, 2012 at 8:13 am | | Reply

That Will Dubois, though a bit of a sarcastic smart-ass, is as sharp as a tack… (reminds me of myself, especially the first part). What a great asset for PWDs, and always an entertaining read to boot. Additionally, I think he may have missed his calling as an endo.

2. Noah
    Noah April 21, 2012 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Wait, only a month passed between the initial diagnosis, where Metformin was prescribed, and the followup, where the insulin was added into the mix? Seems like rather too short a period of time for the Metformin to have had much impact on A1c, no?

1. Mary Fairweather Dexter
      Mary Fairweather Dexter April 21, 2012 at 1:30 pm | | Reply

Same thing happened to me. Metformin didn’t make a dent. Rediagnosed as LADA and put on insulin.

Too many adults are misdiagnosed as Type 2s just because they aren’t little kids and uninformed doctors assume Type 2=adults and Type 1=juvenile. It ain’t necessarily so.

2. Tim
      Tim April 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm | | Reply

Metformin doesn’t lower A1c, it lowers insulin resistance. Generally speaking, if your A1c is 14.3, it’s a pretty good bet you’re Type 1. I was misdiagnosed, but I still made insulin for a while, so Metformin helped me. Once my pancreas stopped producing enough insulin, my BG went WAAY up and I was tested for auto-antibodies leading to a diagnosis of insulin dependency. My initial A1c was 14.3, too. Type 2s generally don’t have BG in the 400s (my brother was diagnosed in ’71 with a BG of over 900).

3. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter April 21, 2012 at 10:08 am | | Reply

Happy Birthday, Amy!

4. Elinor
    Elinor April 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm | | Reply

Happy B-Day Amy !!!!! You are the BEST !!!

5. Bob
    Bob April 23, 2012 at 12:16 pm | | Reply

Excellent post. I have often wondered why all type 2′s are not tested for gad-65 or islet cel antibodies at diagnosis to ascertain the chances of of moving into LADA.

6. Robin
    Robin April 28, 2012 at 1:06 pm | | Reply

A belated thank you and follow-up: I’ve been calculating the insulin on board and correcting after 2 hours with great success. I’m using a spreadsheet on my iPhone to keep track of each bolus with carbs (if any), BG and insulin on board, logging each injection with the time so I can calculate any corrections easily. Came in really handy for a sick day this week, with corrections every 2 hours till I got the BG down.

7. devtest.com
    devtest.com April 21, 2013 at 2:40 am | | Reply

Thanks for sharing that link but unluckily it looks to be down? Anybody have a mirror?