1. Tim
    Tim March 22, 2012 at 7:58 am | | Reply

Though I’m no doctor, I have always thought that the last thing to be cured in Diabetes would be us lucky Type 1s, because we’ve got at least two problems to fix. I have a much more accurate picture of Type 1 diabetes than most people my age (46) and my age as a diabetic (2 1/2). My oldest brother developed Type 1 when I was in first grade in the Spring of 1971, so I would have known if scientists were ever close to a cure. For only personally experiencing Diabetes in the last three years, I still have memories of urine testing, weighing food on a scale and the first human recombinant insulin. To be able to check my BG in a few seconds seems like a freakin’ miracle!

1. billwarnermn
      billwarnermn March 25, 2012 at 9:15 pm | | Reply

Great article!

2. Judi
    Judi March 22, 2012 at 8:07 am | | Reply

He is a remarkable man, and I’m happy to say he’s my doctor. One of the best things about him is he never rushes. He’ll spend as much time in the room with you as you need and discuss any matters on your mind. Maybe that’s more of an “old-fashioned” thing, but it is wonderful from a patient point of view.

1. Tim
      Tim March 22, 2012 at 10:32 pm | | Reply

That’s like saying, “I didn’t know that Jesus guy, but Luke was my physician.”

3. Seth
    Seth March 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm | | Reply

Just a little side note. Your article mentions Dr. Alexander Marble. My parents took me to the Joslin Clinic immediately after I was diagnosed in 1967 for a one or two week training. After that we went back to the Joslin every few months for an appointment with Dr. Marble. He seemed old to me and his quiet formality made me a little uneasy. But he was really very nice, at least to me.

My parents thought otherwise. When he was done with me, he’d talk to them privately. Years later they told me that he made it known that he was less than happy with my control and blamed them, a distraught set of folks who were trying their hardest.

This was more than a little unfair. The Joslin Clinic’s emphasis on good control was too far ahead of its time given the tools we had then. The blue and green results we wanted after heating up 4 drops of pee in benedicts solution was almost always impossible, even for the most well regulated diabetic.

Seth

4. Roger Curtis
    Roger Curtis March 22, 2012 at 10:19 pm | | Reply

Great article. I’ve been Type 1 now for 47, going on 48 years – in good health.
    When I was diagnosed and in the hospital for two weeks, Martha & the Vandellas’ Dancing in the Streets was just released and blaring on the radio.
    I started with a reusable glass syringe.

To this day when my blood sugar is high I still think “I’m positive’ as in urine sugars. We truly have come a long way.

For those who haven’t read the book Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg it is a must read can’t put it down page turner for PWD and others as well.

Roger
    Los Angeles

5. Ruth Z Deming
    Ruth Z Deming March 24, 2012 at 10:58 am | | Reply

Great article, Michael! And, Roger, I’m gonna reserve the book at my library. Am glad Dr Whitestone is still practicing. Am trying to learn as much about D as possible since I was diagnosed a year ago. I’d had a kidney transplant from using the drug lithium for bipolar d/o and the antijection meds – particularly prednisone and also the Prograf – caused insulin-dependent diabetes.

I go to an informative D support group here in suburban Philly and eagerly read your informative emails when they come in.

Also, when my glucose is high, I jump on my exercise bike which always lowers it.

6. Larry
    Larry March 25, 2012 at 9:17 am | | Reply

This is a very interesting and well written article. Dr. Whitehouse is truly one of the pioneers and it is great to hear his story. It ties the past to the future of diabetes care. We in Detroit have been very lucky to have him here.

7. Lekisha
    Lekisha April 22, 2014 at 3:49 pm | | Reply

I have been a patient and fan of Dr. Whitehouse since 2001. He is an amazing doctor. Now as a CDE, He is present is our diabetes meetings and he is so well versed in Diabetes. He is very wise and when he speaks everyone listens. Dr. Whitehouse seems to know EVERYTHING!!! I love him because he “understands” my struggles with managing type 1 diabetes. He does not judge me nor think I don’t care when my A1C is elvated. He motivates me to do better. He is very easy to talk too and is a great listener and problem solver!!!