1. Robin
    Robin March 23, 2012 at 6:47 am | | Reply

It’s great to read this, Allison! When I was diagnosed with Type 1 I told only a few friends at work, including our nurse and my boss. But once a month or so had passed and I’d gotten a little handle on my emotions, I let people know whenever it seemed natural – like at a birthday party when I was trying to figure out how many carbs are in a slice of ice cream cake. I no longer close my office door when I inject before lunch, and the D police haven’t been too much of a bother so far. Apart from the close friend who really knows about the ongoing struggle, no one at the office seems to give it a second thought. I wouldn’t volunteer it at this point in an interview or on my resume, but who knows what the future may hold?

2. joan
    joan March 23, 2012 at 12:49 pm | | Reply

My job history is 35 years as a medical transcriptionist. However, I also co-founded and co-designed a peer to peer support program for adults with daibetes and this plays a prominent part on my resume under “accomplishments” as it show ases my talens in “creativiity, leadership, problem solving and other people skills – all valuable assets in the workplace. I am also really “out there” about having Type 1 and have not found that it is an “issue” at my job.

3. Allison
    Allison March 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm | | Reply

I agree it’s up to each individual person to make their own decision whether to tell or not. I choose tell just about anyone I spend a significant amount of time with, since chances are good they’ll see me check my blood, wolf down some fruit snacks, or clear the “CHECK BG” reminder on my pump.

For an externship interview with the Cleveland Clinic, I was asked what makes me stand out from the other applicants (all of whom I knew). Since I will be an audiologist, I said I was the only one who knows what it is like to be hooked up to a piece of equipment when you don’t have a choice. And I know what it’s like to have a lifelong health diagnosis that affects my life significantly.

I got the position!

4. Richard
    Richard March 24, 2012 at 5:49 am | | Reply

I work a in a middle size company. I didn’t notify my employer during the interview, but I did tell my direct supervisor and coworkers on the first day.

I test and shoot normally at both my workplace and in the cafeteria and haven’t tried to hide it. I have had no negative experiences with it.

I found that alot of people already have some experience with Diabetes..and who hasn’t really if we hear the % of people affected in the media?

While most people know someone with type 2 diabetes and I have type 1, it still serves as a way to connect with people. Of course it also takes time to educate people in small doses, but overall its definetly not a negative experience.

5. Karen G
    Karen G April 3, 2012 at 11:07 am | | Reply

I agree – when looking for a career you are passionate about, disclosing diabetes can sure be a plus instead of a minus! Great post!!

6. Pauline
    Pauline October 3, 2012 at 11:26 am | | Reply

Hi Allison,
    You were upfront about your diabetes and it’s a good thing for you, because your employer looks on you as being transparent. Yes, prospective employers(most of the times) credit us with volunteering information when we don’t really have to.