1. Tony Rose
    Tony Rose March 12, 2012 at 6:11 am | | Reply

Good round up for the bars. I absolutely LOVE the Apple Pie PR Bars. I buy about 2 boxes at a time since they are kind of hard to find. Non protein bars I like are: Larabars, Gnu Foods Flavor & Fiber and Raw Revolution. The PR Bars are by far the most tasty and loaded with protein.

2. Erin Gilmer
    Erin Gilmer March 12, 2012 at 9:09 am | | Reply

Thanks for doing this review. Type 1 diabetics are much more likely to have Celiac Disease, so this is very relevant. I love having a few reviews as otherwise it’s up to me to try some bars and I haven’t been a fan of quite a few that have come out. Unfortuantely, I don’t think a lot of these are in my area. Where did you find them? I’ll have to start requesting them at my store.

3. Allison
    Allison March 12, 2012 at 9:20 am | | Reply

I used to eat protein bars like there was no end, BUT there are so many with tons of sugar and lots of questionable ingredients (and they are expensive), so I stopped buying them.

However, I did discover Larabars – also expensive, so you can make your own for free! Here’s the website I use (she calls them fudge babies):
    When I eat these, I don’t even need to take a huge bolus because it takes so long to digest :)

4. Jessica Apple
    Jessica Apple March 12, 2012 at 10:16 am | | Reply

They all seem very high in carb to me. A pack of almond M & M’s has 25 grams of carb (but I guess they’re not GF), about the same as all of the bars you mentioned. I’m also wary of the processed soy protein. I vote for real food, not packaged bars. And I wouldn’t stress about the fat… you don’t have to bolus for it!

5. Anne
    Anne March 12, 2012 at 10:23 am | | Reply

You missed the PureFit bars! purefit.com. I really liked the chocolate brownie and almond flavored ones–they always felt like a treat after a really hard workout. They are gluten free and vegan too, and satisfying to eat. PureFit was a sponsor of the Triabetes team early on and the owner was (and presumably still is) a big supporter of athletes with diabetes. I found them to be really helpful with my triathlon training at the time. They have 24-25 g carbs and 18 g protein and were not too hard to handle BG-wise (unlike many other sports bars I have tried)

1. Carol Ann Carroll
      Carol Ann Carroll January 29, 2014 at 4:02 am | | Reply

Thank you for this, Anne, going to try. Again, saving me a lot of time and leg work.

6. Ginger Vieira
    Ginger Vieira March 13, 2012 at 8:12 am | | Reply

Great article with more GF choices — I haven’t even seen/heard of some of the bars you listed! Thanks for mention, Amy.

7. Alison Vale
    Alison Vale March 15, 2012 at 4:14 am | | Reply

I’m suffer from Coeliac disease, so I too have to avoid wheat and gluten, and I’m also lactose intolerant, which means I also have to cut out milk as well. I don’t know if you guys in the USA have these bars I get from my local supermarket in the UK but they’re called Nakd bars and they’re 100% Vegan and really great tasting too!

8. Friday Gluten-Free Round-up From Around the Web

[...] Great comparison on gluten-free protein bars.  Which one is your favorite?? Did Amy miss any that you’d like to tell us about? http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/03/clash-of-the-gluten-free-protein-bars.html [...]

9. shirley landsberg
    shirley landsberg February 20, 2013 at 9:24 pm | | Reply

looking for a bar that a diebetic can safely eat for snack

10. Daniel
    Daniel July 2, 2013 at 9:47 pm | | Reply

Thanks for this review. I personally like the NoGii Chocolate Mint flavor a lot. Not a huge fan of Quest, although it’s a best seller in stores. Have not tried the other bars yet.

11. Carol Ann Carroll
    Carol Ann Carroll January 29, 2014 at 3:59 am | | Reply

Thank you for this. It is hard finding GF Protein Bars in stores. Because even though they don’t have wheat listed in the allergen part, my stomach got bloated. Again, thanks a bunch. You’ve saved me a lot of leg work.

12. Chris K.
    Chris K. July 2, 2014 at 1:22 pm | | Reply

I am confused. With the exception of the Quest Bar these all seem to have an awful lot of sugar in them. I mean WOW, up to 19g in one bar. I rarely get that many total NET carbs in a whole meal and I am only pre-diabetic. Am I missing something?

Chris K.

1. MikeH
      MikeH July 2, 2014 at 2:08 pm | | Reply

For @ChrisK and @Jess above: I think it’s all a matter of perspective. To me, 19-20g of carb is not high. That’s very reasonable to me. Of course, if you eat low carb, then your opinion may very well differ. I appreciate hearing about these items. Like anything, if something doesn’t sound appealing or isn’t what we prefer for whatever the reason, we can choose to not eat it.

13. krista
    krista September 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm | | Reply

About @ChrisK’s Comment he is referring to the sugar content, not the carbs, I was also concerned about the sugar, any ideas?

14. krista
    krista September 18, 2014 at 2:35 pm | | Reply

Also I just came across an article about Quest and GNC being Sued over there bars being misleading when it comes to the label such as the high fiber content ect. Very interesting, I just purchased a whole box of this, only for the fiber content
    Here is the link: