1. Scott E
    Scott E March 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm | | Reply

“When compared to the Whitman’s regular Sampler Box, the sugar-free stuff has more fat. This is because nature hates a vacuum. Take away sugar and you need to add fat.”

I’ve found just the reverse in many cases. Look at the “regular” or the “light” (or “low-fat”) version of nearly any product (salad dressings and mayonnaise come to mind), and the light version always has more carbs than the regular version. I figure that when they take out the fat, they replace it with sugar to maintain the taste. For this reason, I never opt for those variants and always go for the real stuff.

2. Tim
    Tim March 24, 2012 at 11:44 pm | | Reply

Scott makes an excellent point. The most important thing to take away from this discussion is read your labels! They’re required to have them and they will help guide you in what you should buy. When I do have yogurt, I always have light but not fat free because I’ve noticed (by reading the labels) that fat free yogurt almost always has more carbs than light. But you need to decide what’s right for YOU. You respond uniquely to the various ingredients in ways that only you understand. A thing that’s helped me a lot is I’ve reprogrammed myself to see fruit as dessert (a fruit with a lot of fiber, like apples). Steal ideas that work for you.

3. Natalie ._c-
    Natalie ._c- March 25, 2012 at 11:14 am | | Reply

Just because I’m a former teacher and a word phreak, I thought I’d let you know that phenylketonurics are people who suffer from a disease called phenylketonuria (or PKU) which means they are unable to process phenylalanine, an amino acid that occurs naturally in some foods, but is a major component of aspartame. Babies who are born with this genetic defect will grow up with mental retardation unless their diets are carefully kept free of phenylalanine. Fortunately, the rest of us don’t have to worry about it.

Sulfur dioxide is present as a preservative in LOTS of foods, including dried fruits, and also in the wine I KNOW you love to drink. It’s usually labeled as “sulfites”, if it’s in the label at all. Some people are allergic to it, and must inspect labels carefully and NOT drink wine. But it seems to be just like a lot of other substances: tiny amounts may be helpful (in this case, as an anti-microbial), and large amounts will kill you. Water intoxication can actually do the same thing — people have died from drinking too much water. So I’m really not going to worry about the small amount of sulfites in foods, but if you’re allergic, DO be careful.

OK, class dismissed! :-)

4. Kelsey Newman
    Kelsey Newman March 29, 2012 at 6:38 am | | Reply

I always choose the regular flavors. In sodas, light version or those that are sugar-free often taste different. Regular versions somehow retain that usual taste we love.

5. Sammy Jameston
    Sammy Jameston March 30, 2012 at 9:01 am | | Reply

I agree about the label reading. I spend most of my time at the super market just reading labels. I don’t know why they don’t have a standard for food and beverages that have a logo or clear mark for diabetic friendly products. They clearly mark products for Kosher, Organic, vegan, low fat, heart healthy, etc… Food manufacturers seem to address every diet type and ailment EXCEPT for diabetes. That sounds crazy considering that Diabetes affects more people than are Vegans, kosher, or organic seekers. The only product I have seen that clearly labels their product “Diabetic Friendly” is VITAZEST. It the only thing I drink other than water and I get it delivered to my house regularly. They even have the logo of the Diabetes Research institute on their packaging, so there its 100% clear that its safe to consume. Considering that it tastes great and has loads of vitamins its my alternative to water.

6. Amy D. Hopkins
    Amy D. Hopkins April 13, 2012 at 8:41 pm | | Reply

I live in the northwest section of the Chicago area. Do you know if there is an animal training site that will teach a dog or cat to respond to insulin shock or ketoacidosis episodes and alert the family or the individual?

Also, is there a blog on pet diabetes problems?

I am an R.N. and my neighbor has come to me for help (I am prediabetic at this point) because her 9 year old cat has just been released from intensive care after being treated for a severe ketoacidotic episode. She’s come to me for help and I’m over my head, not having ever treated a diabetic animal. I know that dogs can be trained to alert when problems do arise as the individual produces a scent that alerts the animal. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

7. Myra
    Myra May 2, 2012 at 7:04 pm | | Reply

There are no Chicago area providers of diabetes alert dogs. The closest one that has served Illinois is Can-Do canines in Minnesota. I had one but she didn”t work out.

8. Vidiya Sharma
    Vidiya Sharma May 29, 2012 at 4:59 am | | Reply

Relief from diabetes you know about the about the diets for diabetes and diabetes precaution. For details about diabetes treatment and causes of diabetes visit at http://www.onlymyhealth.com/diabetes-1295951448.html

9. John
    John February 14, 2014 at 10:10 pm | | Reply

Great Article! My girlfriend is a borderline diabetic and I found this article helpful. I have created a diabetic candy website to help others who want treats and do not have to search all over to get a large selection. I have tried many myself and they do not taste bad at all!
    I even have available diabetic cookbooks.
    John Sherack