1. Scott Strange
    Scott Strange March 15, 2012 at 6:55 am | | Reply

You know Will, I really find this disheartening. Having been clinically depressed for most of my time as a diabetic, I look at this and just see more stigma of depression and dismissal of it as a major issue for many patients with chronic conditions.

It just seems to perpetuate the myth that diabetes only affects the body and not the mind or spirit. I hope the AADE can come to realize that you need to treat the entire person and not just their diabetes

1. Clare Venus
      Clare Venus March 16, 2012 at 1:45 pm | | Reply

Oh dear, apparently we still have some way to go in eliminating stigma and indifference to mental health issues in diabetes education. What is the point of screening patients for depression if educators don’t know what to do with their findings?

As a Psychologist, CDE and PWD, I see many people who are struggling with depression and anxiety. PWDs generally respond very well to treatment and of course their diabetes management improves as well.

Educators need to do more than just pay lip service to the social/emotional side of diabetes. They need to improve their listening skills, adopt a more empathic stance and modify teaching approaches for patients who are depressed and overwhelmed..

Listen up AADE!

2. Sysy
    Sysy March 15, 2012 at 7:22 am | | Reply

Crikey! Great article, Wil, I really appreciate this. As Scott said, it IS very disheartening. I too, have been clinically depressed for a large chunk of my time as a diabetic. And properly dealing with my depression totally improved my diabetes management but it was SUCH a struggle that seeing those pictures feels like a slap in the face. It’s as if we’re an inconvenience or something. How about I make a slide of the CDE’s we’d like to have and then one depicting the characteristics of what we really get and see how people like it? It would be so wrong! They really ought to revise that.

3. Kathy
    Kathy March 15, 2012 at 9:29 am | | Reply

Well said as always Wil. Thanks for representing us!

4. Stoyan Z.
    Stoyan Z. March 15, 2012 at 9:52 am | | Reply

Very insightful article. And I agree with the comment above. Diabates affects much more than just the body. When you have a chronic condition, even if it is well-managed, it is always on your mind, you always have to take it into account with everything you do, and consider the risks and consequences. Knowing this will be the way until the day you die is…not a good way to live.

That’s why I think hoping and fighting for a cure generates positive energy can help you out at times of struggle. Before I got involved in the DOC I often felt much more down about my disease.

Hopefully this raises some much needed awareness.

5. Allison
    Allison March 15, 2012 at 10:09 am | | Reply

Holy sh*t! I can’t believe someone let that guy talk. Yesterday I saw a CDE for the first time since I was in middle school or so and it went well, but I think I can handle this better with the help of the DOC than a lot of CDEs probably could!

6. Jacquie
    Jacquie March 15, 2012 at 10:13 am | | Reply

I don’t know — I think I’d rather hang out with the old lady smoking a giant hand-rolled cigarette than that boring woman on the treadmill.

Seriously, though, this is quite depressing. And frustrating. Thanks for this article.

7. jb
    jb March 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm | | Reply

Thanks Wil, this sums up pretty well the feelings I get when I go to a CDE. I look to them for expertise but end up feeling like a failure. The DOC has been a godsend to me with my type 1 late in life (age 53) diagnosis. Once I told the CDE I felt suicidal (this was early on) and she said do you want me to tell the doctor. I said yes and I never heard another word. That is pathetic. I really could have used a referral to a counselor for depression. I am much better now and I dont go to a cde.

8. Colleen
    Colleen March 15, 2012 at 1:49 pm | | Reply

The first CDEs I met with were scary. But I was lucky, my PCP had warned me to not take them too, too seriously. I have met several others since then who have been wonderfully helpful but, I guess that’s in spite of their training.
    I found the slides appalling and totally unprofessional.
    I know I’d be a mess without the DOC.

9. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter March 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm | | Reply

Finally getting a referral for counseling sometimes means you get one more person checking off the little boxes.

10. Jana
    Jana March 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm | | Reply

Excellent (if disheartening) post, Wil! Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one who perceives the attitude of (some) medical professionals to patients as demeaning, and I wonder if I’m just being defensive or hypersensitive. But I guess I’m not.

11. Tim
    Tim March 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm | | Reply

I think the most important thing we should take away from this is that we need to make a lot more noise about what OUR issues are when we come in. And depression should be the first thing we mention. If we’re depressed, how in the world do we summon the energy to take care of ourselves without help for that? WE really understand the mind/body relationship better than almost anyone. My next appointments, I will be bringing in a big sheet of paper and talking to my internist and endo about what is on it before anything else happens.

12. Sara My
    Sara My March 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

This article was a sad picture of the world of professionals who put themselves in positions supposedly to help PWD. Besides being bored, lacking empathy or knowledge I’ve run into even worse – those who are somewhat sadistic. That’s a really harsh word, but I think if you are even half aware of the struggle many PWD experience, a professional would understand we need much more than a one size fits all attitude and judgement that one is a difficult patient when things don’t work out the wat they think it should work or impatience when you want to understand the basis of some advice or medication. I’ve had one great endo who happened to be a diabetic, and one fantastic nutitionist in close to 50 years with diabetes. The rest pretty much sucked. I’m alive because I was a difficult patient, read everything i could, listened to my body and didn’t trust a medical doctor mess with my emotional life. This article was depressing!

13. Depression and Diabetes
    Depression and Diabetes May 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm |

[...] An Inside Look at Depression Training for Diabetes Educators [...]

14. » Diabetes Advocates Urge More Awareness About Depression. Strangely Diabetic

[...] An Inside Look at Depression Training for Diabetes Educators [...]

15. Diabetes & Depression: Places to Get Support - Diabetes Daily Voices

[...] An Inside Look at Depression Training for Diabetes Educators [...]

16. clicking here
    clicking here February 13, 2014 at 8:33 pm | | Reply

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for Emotions / Motivation

17. Diabetes Advocates