1. Allison
    Allison March 28, 2012 at 11:32 am | | Reply

Before anything else, everyone needs (YES, needs!) to read “In Defense of Food” by Michael Pollan. It’s a very captivating book about how the SAD (standard American diet) came to be and some scientifically-supported suggestions for how we should be eating. (Including how saturated fat got a bad name while margarine rose to the top…) http://www.amazon.com/In-Defense-Food-Eaters-Manifesto/dp/0143114964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332959056&sr=8-1

So, my own soapbox – the Paleo diet – technically a lifestyle – has done amazing things for me. My blood sugars have been so much more stable I started following it (although I do it more like Primal, which includes some dairy). I eat much healthier as well… less processed, unknown crap, and tons more vegetables, etc. I feel great from lifting weights instead of doing pointless cardio for hours – I love feeling strong.

For those dietitians, readers, etc out there who think Paleo is bunk, there actually is a LOT of research available and more being done about how it works the way it does. Check out either of these sites for proof: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/ http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/ You might have to dig a bit but it’s there.

Regardless, if you are cutting out the crap (processed foods, refined sugars, etc.) you will see a difference and you will feel great. You don’t have to follow a diet to do that – just stick to REAL foods :)

2. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter March 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm | | Reply

Don’t eat yucky stuff. Eat beautiful, tasty stuff.

3. Sysy
    Sysy March 29, 2012 at 7:20 am | | Reply

My diet is pretty similar to the paleo one. The exception is I have more fruit than what is recommended (it works great for me). I think gluten bothers me so I avoid it. I eat mostly vegetables that are low glycemic and fish and chicken. I cook with coconut oil-which is a saturated fat (and yet my lipid profile has improved since that addition). Some people are very healthy with a large amount of fat in their diets so I don’t think it’s fair to say that all diets should be low in fat. Let’s not forget the Eskimos :) They were very healthy eating loads of blubber all day ;) I say, eat quality food (real food) and then follow your body. It will tell you what it wants to eat and feels good having. Your body knows better than any dietitian out there. You just have to listen and experiment.

1. Phil
      Phil March 30, 2012 at 2:26 am | | Reply

I agree with everything Sysy has said ;)

2. Kelly
      Kelly March 31, 2012 at 4:45 am | | Reply

I agree with Sysy as well. I follow Mark’s paleo/diabetes blog and have had exactly the same results. I’m type 1 and am on a pump and continuous glucose monitor and while following a paleo type lifestyle love seeing that straight line on my CGM graph with an average BG of 85-100. My family is following the lifestyle as well and they have all lost weight and feel healthier. Eating clean is more expensive but worth it to not be eating processed foods and meats full of hormones. LIke Sysy, I eat fruits and veggies with a low glycemic index. It’s not worth it anymore eating carbs and trying to control the swings in my blood sugars.

4. Judith
    Judith March 30, 2012 at 8:40 am | | Reply

The DASH diet is ridiculous for diabetics who want to control without meds for as long as possible. Bernstein’s 30-35 carbs/day, and exercise after every meal have kept me off meds for 5 years so far–”knock on wood”!

1. Ed.
      Ed. May 19, 2012 at 7:06 pm | | Reply

I have been a type 2 diabetic since 2004, I changed my eating habits and followed the Dash Diet since then, I lost 150 lbs in 1 1/2 years and have maintained the weight loss. had my diabetes under control in one month, stopped medication after the first month and my yearly A1C test has been 4.2. As stated in the article everyone is different if Bernstein’s plan works for you great, but don’t call another eating plan ridiculous because it does not conform to what you think a diet for a diabetic should be. By the way I eat 350 to 400 grams of carbs per day, and my fasting blood glucose level is in the 70′s and my level 2 hours after eating are between 85 and 105.

5. Sammy Jameston
    Sammy Jameston March 30, 2012 at 9:08 am | | Reply

My diet is similar to the south beach diet. I have found the just eating less portions but more often in general helped me maintain stable levels. My only issue was what to drink with my diet since I hate water. ALthough I still drink large amounts of water daily, I also found a great Powdered drink that comes in packets which is Diabetic Friendly. Its called VITAZEST and it has the Diabetes Research Institute’s logo on each packet. I carry at least 5 of them with me at all times and I just add them to my bottle of water or tap water I get if I am eating out. THey are loaded with Vitamins and sugar free, so far its the best tasting powder packet out there that is safe to consume, I used to drink crystal light as well but they don’t have the vitamins and they don’t support diabetes cause like Vitazest does… I recommend for everyone to try it out…

6. Mary
    Mary March 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm | | Reply

I’m a big proponent of Weight Watchers. There are no restrictions on what you can eat, you just have to pay for what you do eat (by using your points). So in that way, it does account for the diabetics’ concern of sugar and fat; you can eat foods that are high in them, just not a lot. Moderation is key! I’m type 1 and lost almost 20lbs using Weight Watchers. I’m happily in my BMI and looking fabulous!

7. Taking A Look At The Low Carb Diet Programs | Thought For Food

[...] A Close Look at Four Trendy Diets(diabetesmine.com) [...]

8. Maria
    Maria September 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm | | Reply

I have to say that the paleo lifestyle is one that has effected significant health turnarounds for my family. We are all leaner, healthier, fitter and much more alive than we were on our standard ‘healthy’ diet.
    We recently went out to dinner (a rare occuurence now ) and we ate the bread rolls that were served – hot with a delicious olive oil dip! Needless to say they sat in our stomachs the whole night..

One of the stand out effects of eating paleo is the amazing sleep patterns that we enjoy. That for us is a clear indication that our bodies are in harmony.

9. baddonut
    baddonut November 16, 2012 at 5:41 am | | Reply

I am Type 1 Englishman living in the Far East. In England my average insulin 3 times a day totalled 28-48 subject to the food. In the Far East I started with a mainly veg based and fresh diet, with rice, noodles and tons of veg and fruits. I train regularly (run morning and weights afternoon eve) . BG have gone haywire lately and it appears down to excessive rice and noodles and less of the fruits and veg. My verdict is the Paleo is good and worked for me without having heard of it. I am going back to it now but not exclusively, if I want a big plate of rice I will. I believe in balance and if it is your thing do it, but moderate and try and reduce the bad stuff. Good luck to you all!!