1. David
    David February 13, 2012 at 9:21 am | | Reply

I suppose this tedious process is necessary but surely
    there is room for improvement? Sure seems like the FDA
    could use an institutional re-structuring. We are a proud, even arrogant, country but everything would happen faster with less
    effort if we had a global system for approving medical devices and
    treatments.

2. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins February 13, 2012 at 5:56 pm | | Reply

This is a great interview. Thank you for being so willing to participate and discuss your job and the FDA system, Chip. I’d like to see more timely review in the diabetes arena and ensure there isn’t needless delay, as it often seems now, but I do get the challenges and hurdles that must be endured.

3. Kristin
    Kristin February 16, 2012 at 10:06 pm | | Reply

Great interview topic & subject – thanks for doing this! I was hoping to hear that the bout of FDA approvals was really a thaw, but I’m sure that couldn’t be said anyhow. ;)

4. Khürt Williams
    Khürt Williams February 17, 2012 at 6:21 am | | Reply

Good interview. Chip seems sincere but I wish he had some examples that did not involved kids.

5. Steven K.
    Steven K. March 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm | | Reply

There’s a new tax on medical devices that going into effect January 1, 2013. This might explain why the FDA has suddenly become “overly cautious.” Delaying the release of these products for as long as possible = more money for the federal government.

1. Khürt Williams
      Khürt Williams March 16, 2012 at 6:07 am | | Reply

Please provide a reference for that statement.

1. Gil dePaula
      Gil dePaula May 9, 2012 at 10:29 am | | Reply

Steven,

Thanks for the links. The excise tax is a reality, but your reasoning is apparently flawed.

The more products are approved & being sold, the more tax revenue the government will have. The tax is actually an incentive to approve everything even faster, so companies can start selling, and the government can collect more taxes. The tax is based on sales/revenue.

Cheers,
      Gil

6. Jean Devlin Haight
    Jean Devlin Haight May 9, 2012 at 6:11 pm | | Reply

I’ve been a Joslin Patient since I was 18 mos old! I understand that there are a number of sites where they’re working on a cure for Insulin Dependent Diabetes!
    I follow anything and everything I can find about diabetes! I hope that I will see a cure in my lifetime but I’m not holding my breath!