1. Kathy
    Kathy February 28, 2012 at 7:02 am | | Reply

This is what drives.me.crazy about critics of the ACA. They simply have no clue and often no empathy for us and others who have no current choice. It’s not perfect, but thank goodness, it’s *something.*

2. Gilbert
    Gilbert February 28, 2012 at 7:09 am | | Reply

I’m (hopefully) in the latter stages of enrolling in PCIP. Actually, I’m not diabetic (my son is), but I have an arthritic “automatic denial” condition that prevents me from joining the rest of my family on an individual policy. Long story. Anyway, I applied for PCIP Feb 1 after exactly 6 months of being completely uninsured. As of last Friday, I should be recieving my confirmation and final enrollment instructions in early March…if I am approved. So it will be at least 7 months without insurance, and that is starting to look iffy. A private insurer would have had the answer in 48 hours. I hope this is not an indication of what it will be like when I file a claim or just need a question answered.

3. Becky
    Becky February 28, 2012 at 7:59 am | | Reply

I totally agree Kathy! I think if they had called the bill “Insurance Reform” instead of “Healthcare Reform”, it would have been better received. We never hear the good points about it, only the negative. I am sure most of us can figure out who is behind all the negative ads by thinking who profits if it goes away–the insurance companies!

4. Jasmine
    Jasmine February 28, 2012 at 8:33 am | | Reply

So glad to read about this! I know I’ll be taking advantage of it in the future….

5. Sally
    Sally February 28, 2012 at 9:48 am | | Reply

Don’t kid yourselves. It’s not affordable now, and it won’t be under the ACA, either.

6. David
    David February 28, 2012 at 10:36 am | | Reply

Thank you, Will, for untangling a complicated situation and informing us of our options.

7. pcb
    pcb February 29, 2012 at 7:59 am | | Reply

I presently am self employed and a type 1. I live in a state that I can buy insurance (IL) for high risk individuals. It is very expensive… when they passed the health care law I thought at least my rates would get cheaper. Like everything else there is a catch. I can’t buy into the fed plan because I can get into the state plan! The fed plan is about $2000/yr cheaper. I would have to drop my present plan and be without insurance for 6 months if I wanted to get the fed plan which of course would be insane. To make matters worse since the bill was passed my rates have gone up 20%. In my opinion the bill didn’t fix anything. It was more a fix for the insurance companies not for the people that need it.

8. Sherri A. Tourek
    Sherri A. Tourek October 20, 2012 at 11:34 am | | Reply

Where do turn to if you have pre-extisting condition and you need health insurance. Can’t paid high price, on fixed income.