1. John
    John February 27, 2012 at 9:25 am | | Reply

I never believed the pancreases were dead in long standing type 1 diabetes! The fact that some have an easier time than others to control the disease may lend additional credence to this topic. That said, the JDRF is no longer run by parents of type 1 diabetics but individuals with their own agendas (Brewer & his AP) and financial relationships with academia and big pharma. Look at the JDRF donor lists on their website! All that would end with a cheap solution (BCG) and negate them their $$$$$ windfall from the AP and stem cell research that has basically no clinical trials for T1 taking place.

I hope Dr. Faustman can change the paradigm for how research is working towards a cure for a disease that has impacted 2 generations in my family; over >100 years combined of living with T1.

2. Diapeepees
    Diapeepees February 27, 2012 at 9:56 am | | Reply

it’s funny how exciting research has become now that I have a little one with diabetes! Hats off to her, her research and her enthusiasm. The world is lucky to have these motivated scientists. They give us a lot of hope.

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter February 27, 2012 at 10:18 am | | Reply

Will those of us with LADA be able to participate? Will the vaccine work for us, as well?

4. Anne
    Anne February 27, 2012 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

interesting research. thanks for the updates. hope it works!!!

5. Paul P.
    Paul P. February 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm | | Reply

The Joslin 50 yr study has shown the same thing. I.E. over half the participants (all have had diabetes type 1 for at least 50 yrs.) still produce small amounts of C-peptide when they used a sensitive C-peptide test.

I have also wondered if the auto-immunity ways over time. As far as I know I do not produce measurable C-peptide and have insulin auto-antibodies only. Perhaps if the insulin antibodies could be stopped the beta cells could be waked up without producing the Islet cell antibodies.

6. Tom Beatson
    Tom Beatson February 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm | | Reply

Amy: You should contact Dr. Hillary Keenan at Joslin Diabetes Center. Hillary is doing the research on the 50-Year Medalist Study, and has found results in most of the medalists that are similar to Dr. Faustman’s findings. Autopsies of pancreases donated by 50-year medalists have shown that there are some working islet cells in those pancreases.

Tom Beatson
    T1 for 69 years

7. Diabetic Survival Kit
    Diabetic Survival Kit February 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm | | Reply

The people who achieved the 50 year Joslin medals had functioning beta cells and insulin levels that were not zero. Is there something that can be done to slow down this decline. some people believe very low glycemic index diets and alkaline diets will help the beta cells last longer. Do you think these types of diets may help to slow beta cell destruction?

8. Richard
    Richard February 28, 2012 at 9:43 am | | Reply

There are several cases known where people with Type 1 had a bone marrow transplant, which acted as a reset of their immune system. They would all regain their beta cells and became insulin independent until their “new” immune system started destroying beta cells again.

We also all know that we don’t loose our beta cells at a similar rate. We currently call the fast end of the spectrum “classic” type 1 and the slower end LADA. I don’t want to enter the debate on whether they are seperate conditions, but we all know that the process of beta cell destruction doesn’t have a set timetable.

Taking above into account, I do agree that faustmans idea of stopping the process of destruction by changing the responsible T-cells has merit.
    While I don’t wanna gun down islet/beta cell transplants, the problem from the bone marrow transplant cases seems to indicate that recovery of beta cell function is capable without transplant. If we are able to stop the destruction, current data suggest we would eventually recover beta cell function on our own.

Now again, I do not know whether there is just 1 type 1 of diabetes. But there is alot of variety among type 1′s. Much as I lament it when a newspaper headlines “Cure for Diabetes closer!” and never once during the article mentions the type 1 or 2 difference, I am also sometimes worried that a “type 1″ cure may not work for everyone currently classified as “type 1″ and that indeed how long the body has undergone the process of beta cell destruction may be relevant to its ability to regain beta cell function.

As for the dutch doctor (I am Dutch), his research is hyped alot in local media as well. And he does portray an optimistic picture, but what he presents is not out of bounds. His idea is actually similar to those of Faustman, like dr Faustman he seeks to change the T cell behaviour.
    The difference between Roep and Faustman is however in how they seek to bring this change about, partially because they don’t seem to agree entirely in why the T cells behave the way they do.
    Roep slightly varies also by posing that hard working beta cells secrete a substance that makes them attract more immune system activity. The theory has merit and he has some actual data to back it up, but it is far from proven.

Roep and his research are sponsored by the Dutch Diabetes Foundation by the way and he is a professor in which I can only translate as diabetology at a well-respected university.
    I have some reservations about his optimistic press to the media (last time wasn’t the first), but his research is sound.

9. Mike Hoskins
    Mike Hoskins February 28, 2012 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

Thanks for this, Amy. Very exciting news indeed.

10. Gary
    Gary February 28, 2012 at 5:58 pm | | Reply

Well I am getting close to four decades with diabetes and hoping I have a chance at recovery before this disease takes me down. I found the latest article published a few weeks back about the Stem Cell Educator treatment using Cordblood very promising. They apparently got some really impressive results in slowing down the immune attack and allowing most of the patients to reduce their daily insulin up to around 35%. There were also no safety issues were reported. If I can’t get recovery of my own cells I will look towards what Viacyte is doing. I think something like that would be my best shot.

11. mcityrk
    mcityrk February 28, 2012 at 6:37 pm | | Reply

Conventional medicine suggests that certain types of soft tissue damage [spinal cord, kidneys, islet cells] are essentially irreversible. It always stuck me as more likely that there is always some regenerative capacity for all types of human tissue. It comes down to a question of kinetics; i.e. is the mechanism that is causing the damage so aggressive that it overwhelms the slower regenerative capacity of the cells. In this case, the result would be a continuing loss of function over time and the anecdotal belief that no repair is actually occurring. However, what happens if the mechanism of damage can be slowed to a standstill or the kinetics of regenaration can be accelerated such that a net positive rebuild of cellular activity can occur instead of continuing decay? This seems like the holy grail to be searched for in the field of regenerative medicine.

12. W. S. Rone
    W. S. Rone March 1, 2012 at 7:40 am | | Reply

This research looks very interesting, but since there are no collaborators outside the Boston area, she is missing out on as good number of volunteers. I would be more than happy to be a part of this research, but I live in the Memphis area. JDRF needs to get it together and sponsor such research. You never know what will work until you have tried everything.

13. Steven Lica
    Steven Lica March 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm | | Reply

I view the research as a scam and a vehicle to keep the money and employment for Fastman flowing.
    She talks about big pharma attracting all the new onsets and her being stuck with established diabetics because of money. She did not return my email when I volunteered my daughter who was newly diagnosed.
    We know BCG is safe. I will get on a plane with her and fly to a 3rd world country and start curing kids. (All at my expense) Probably not that comfortable for her outside of Boston though.

14. It’s AliVe!!!!! Pancreatic beta cells are not dead??? | 17 Skittles GAPS Cure for Type 1 Diabetes?

[...] Diabetes Mine By AmyT on February 27, 2012 [...]

15. Valerie
    Valerie June 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm | | Reply

My son was recently diagnosed this year, when I started reading about Dr. Faustman’s research it gave me hope (even though a nurse on his diabetes team who has type 1 hadn’t heard of this Dr. and warned me not to trust to much into it). Although, she even said she believes there will be a cure in his lifetime. He’s 4 1/2 …..

16. Terry Dowd
    Terry Dowd July 31, 2012 at 6:06 am | | Reply

You really think “Big Pharma” will let a cure for diabetes get to market? I have been watching this circus for 35 years…….and “researchers” lol such as Faustman forget it, they use this pseudo research to promote themselves – and it works, look at all the $$ pouring in!

17. Evin Phoenix
    Evin Phoenix August 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm | | Reply

For more info on her successful phase 1 human clinical trials, check out my diabetes video blog at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUIAPB7pMX4&sns=em

1. Rick Wyatt
      Rick Wyatt September 26, 2012 at 6:57 am | | Reply

Big Pharma…you’ve got it!
      But Denise is a seperate entity.
      Her goal is the actual cure, NOT money.
      It’s never been, “the money” for her.
      One of the root problems is that it is: REALLY BIG MONEY, I pray for her.

18. joltdude
    joltdude August 19, 2012 at 5:33 am | | Reply

My Idea #diabetes & #faustmann … Still not convinced its a permanent cure (or a cure that will work for everyone) . But, BCG could be used in cycles to deplete insulin autoreactive T cells before an islet transplant which might make islet cell transplants more successful since it would help stop the destruction of the new islets even with immunosuppressants.

19. Terry Dowd
    Terry Dowd August 20, 2012 at 4:37 am | | Reply

….Interview with Dr. Faustman July 2012, the circus has a new clown…

20. Anna
    Anna December 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm | | Reply

Why can’t this trial be done in a country where there is not that much red tape.millions of dollars are needed just to do the paper work! We need a cure and we need it now!

21. Patricia
    Patricia December 29, 2012 at 2:44 am | | Reply

Dear Alexis, Thank you for your recent qsuteion on our Bel Marra Health blog. The study relates to high fat meals such as fast food. A small amount of cream in your coffee should be fine. As for Bailey’s, the study did not look at alcohol so we are not sure if there is an effect when mixed with caffeine. Thank you one again and have a great day