1. Mike Hoskins
    Mike Hoskins February 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm | | Reply

Thanks for writing this, sharing stories and offering some great tips! I’ve been navigating the depression waters lately and finally admitted it was time to get some help and change my own behaviors… and just being active each morning and trying to think positively has done wonders. Life isn’t easy, but tossing in D makes it even more of an adventure and so we need these helpful reminders. Thanks for adding your thoughts, Amy and Allison.

2. Mark
    Mark February 18, 2012 at 1:04 am | | Reply

I’m quite a positive/optimistic guy but every now and then I feel the frustration and powerlessness of dealing with my Diabetes. I think I’ll need to schedule some “venting” time in my week to let go of those emotions, pick myself up, and keep on keeping on. Great post Amy!

3. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter February 18, 2012 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Thanks for writing this. So I’m not the only one who has a mini-nervous breakdown every so often: laying on the floor, sobbing, unable to breathe. Then I get up, adjust the mask, and go on.
    It seems to be exacerbated by exhaustion, mental and physical.
    I tried going to a shrink. She had a list of things we should do and things we shouldn’t to Combat Stress. Everything on the Do list caused me more stress. So I looked at the Don’t list: Mindless TV.
    I’m not saying stop exercising and become a couch potato. Moderation in all things. But those Salvatore brothers come in handy sometimes.

4. adam
    adam February 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm | | Reply

I get light therapy every day from autumn equinox
    until spring equinox. In fact, the light is on right
    now, shining in my face as I sit and type at my computer.
    The psychiatrist said I should keep it shining on my face
    for twenty minutes at a time, twice daily. He said I
    should glance directly at the light from time to time.
    I do.
    Today I noticed sunshine outside. That made me feel
    better. I have also gotten into the habit of eating Vitamin
    D during the winter. A fellow type 1 diabetic from western
    Washington told me it helps beat depression. I doubt it.
    But I heard enough from the doctor who wrote [u]The Vitamin D
    Revolution [/u] to know I need vitamin D supplements during the dark days of winter.

Yes, I am alone and depressed.

5. Patti
    Patti February 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm | | Reply

I live in Alaska and the cold and gray days drag on and on. These are great ideas for beating the blues! Thanks for the post.

6. Lisa
    Lisa February 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy. I haven’t been around TuDiabetes for a while, but I appreciate this post. The picture brought tears to my eyes. Even though we have had a very mild winter, I always go through a depressive February. I appreciate the advice.

7. Lisa
    Lisa February 25, 2012 at 6:39 pm | | Reply

Sorry wrong blog mentioned, I meant Diabetes Mine.

8. James
    James March 4, 2012 at 8:52 pm | | Reply

Is there anything on vitamin d and helping lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes? My father has type 2 and his doctor checked his vitamin d levels and found them to be low. Thanks