1. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter February 23, 2012 at 6:28 am | | Reply

The reason you carry a sharps container with you is so you have a place to put all your used pointy thingys while visiting a strange place. My milk-carton sized red sharp container fits in the outside pocket of my carryon. What else would I do with it? Mail it home? What if I needed it on the trip? Or I got delayed?

I wish they came in a smaller size though.

1. Mary Fairweather Dexter
      Mary Fairweather Dexter February 23, 2012 at 6:30 am | | Reply

Thanks for the updated information.

2. Lili
    Lili February 23, 2012 at 9:29 am | | Reply

Interesting, but I’m still skeptical that would be very effective. I also take all my supplies in a carryon, so it doesn’t make sense to put those in a separate bin. I already have my shoes, laptop, phone, etc. Also, if you start opening your carryon when you’re at the bins they tend to freak out.

3. Sean Kelley
    Sean Kelley February 23, 2012 at 9:55 am | | Reply

Amy: Have you run into actual problems? I’ve heard stories, but I travel frequently and have never even had a question about my supplies. Occasionally, I’ve even gon thru security with a random needle in a shirt or pants pocket.

4. Drew Guarini
    Drew Guarini February 23, 2012 at 11:03 am | | Reply

I’ve had a little bit of trouble with this in the past and I’m glad that they’ve decided to at least address the issue. I had the most trouble when I was packing to travel Europe for study abroad and they were seriously blown back by the number of needles, needle tips, etc. Having a doctor’s note was tremendous for me apart from just a prescription. Once they read the note they helped me re-organize my supplies and everything. Apart from that other airports (Iceland, italy, etc.) most are understanding as to what the devices. Then again, they’re not the TSA, so that makes sense haha.

5. Sara
    Sara February 23, 2012 at 12:28 pm | | Reply

I travel extensively, and never have an issue with my supplies. I try to depart from airports without Nude O Scopes. Before I get in the line, I go in the bathroom and take off all metal objects, like rings and barrettes, and jewelry. I also take the pump (MNMD) out of the case, take the clip off and put it between my boobs. No metal, nothing beeps when I walk through, no problem, I grab my stuff and get out. If I DO beep, I have moral objections to the groping and let them know how offensive I find their abuse…and when they find the pump I pull it out and show them, then it gets swabbed.

If I am at an aiport with the Nude O Scope, I opt out, for one, cuz my pump can’t go through that, and for two, the afore mentioned moral objections, so I get the sexual grope.

There has NEVER been a question about the needles or bottles of insulin or anything else. The BULK of my pump supplies are in my checked baggage anyway.

I screwed up last week at SFO and forgot to take my pump out of the case and hide it in my bra and did it IN the line…the TSA saw me do it and even though I didn’t beep as I walked through the metal detector, she made me go for additional screening. WHY, i griped! I didn’t beep! and she said, you have a medical device we have to check. I said, “you only know that cuz you SAW me take it out of the case.” She said yep. So as always, my policy will remain, If they don’t ask, I ain’t gonna tell, or show.

6. Cary
    Cary February 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm | | Reply

Really? Traveling as a diabetic is a no-brainer (maybe things are different as someone who travels frequently and picks security lines depending upon profiling the people in line ahead of me for speed). Traveling throughout the US and internationally, security is no issue whatsoever. Not really sure why this is an issue. Pumps are fine. Rx for everything or atleast a reasonable explanation solves every issue. I’ve never had an issue anywhere. The only question I ever received was in the late 90s at Heathrow when I was carrying a few hundred syringes individually for a week long trip. No issue when they saw I was carrying insulin — a quick 30 seconds, drop the word “diabetes” and on my way….

7. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins February 26, 2012 at 11:09 am | | Reply

Thanks for this update, Amy. I also haven’t had any serious issues with TSA… actually, the only couple that I have had have been my own self-created problems. But so many stories have been told of problems people have faced, so it’s good to see this initiative to address those issues.

8. Nicole
    Nicole May 1, 2012 at 5:17 am | | Reply

Can anyone tell me specifically about travelling to Morocco. I am going on a long overseas trip (7 weeks there) and just trying to figure out the number of things is driving me crazy. I am also new to using Pump and CGM have had just since February. Has anyone dealt with Royal Air Maroc?