1. menon
    menon February 18, 2012 at 7:48 am | | Reply

Strawberry Good for Diabetic Patent or not

2. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter February 18, 2012 at 8:19 am | | Reply

I’ve noticed that after I get sick, my insulin needs creep up. I think when my antibodies kill off the bad germs, they decide to go after a few more beta cells while they’re at it, which means there are fewer to make insulin and I end up needing a bit more from the vial.

3. Richard
    Richard February 18, 2012 at 9:40 am | | Reply

I have sudden and drastic, literally overnight, changes in insulin needs. We’re talking differences of up to 40% of the amount I’m shooting the day before.
    It then remains stable for several months until the next change. As such I am not brittle, because barring disease, I am stable.
    It isn’t a seasonal change, as I only have a minor adjustment up for winter.

It isn’t that much of a worry when my need suddenly goes up, but last time it went down, I nearly went down with it.
    Luckily they do alternate up, down, up, down except for once when I got 2 rises in a row that put me on an insanely high need for 4 months.
    I am currently expecting a change downwards and not sleeping very well as a result.

The adjustment for both my short and long acting is % wise roughly the same, so within 2 days I was back to stable last few times. The first few times it was a bit more chaotic.

Because it occurs every 4 to 10 months, you can imagine I have no clue what causes it. Only that its there and that my endo took 2 years (4 changes) and detailed info (food, exercise, glucose, weight, illness) to convince it was actually hapenning in the first place.

As for what causes them, give me a few more years…;)

4. Mary C
    Mary C February 18, 2012 at 11:22 am | | Reply

I don’t think you should dismiss the possibility the insulin could be to blame just because it’s only two weeks old. When my daughter’s numbers couldn’t be explained, I put the 2/3s full vial back in the fridge and pulled out a fresh one. Sure enough, the numbers were back to normal. There was no known reason for it except perhaps Mars was in retrograde. If it was me, I would have given the first bottle another chance just to confirm it was to blame, but I wouldn’t do that to my daughter. I just tossed the little bugger. (The insulin, not my daughter!)

5. David
    David February 19, 2012 at 11:30 am | | Reply

For what it’s worth to other Nyquil users: trial & error has shown me that a dose of Nyquil has a carb count around 15g.

6. Diabetic Survival Kit
    Diabetic Survival Kit February 20, 2012 at 4:39 am | | Reply

It seems counter-intuitive but sometimes when people with diabetes are sick and not eating they require more insulin. Your physician should give you sick day rules and if the sugars do unpredictable things you should let them know. Sometimes an upset stomach is the first sign for diabeticketoacidosis so be sure to watch your sugar and let your physician know what is going on. See if you should be testing your urine for acetone when sick as well.