1. Gretchen
    Gretchen February 25, 2012 at 11:17 am | | Reply

I heard of a diabetes groupie once. A doctor worked at a diabetes camp and took her young child along with her. The child was surrounded by other children who all had all sorts of neat gadgets and they kept comparing numbers on their gadgets. One day, the child said wistfully, “I wish *I* had diabetes.”

1. Shannon Forbis
      Shannon Forbis February 26, 2012 at 5:05 am | | Reply

My non-diabetic daughter said the same thing recently when we met with a Medtronic rep to look at their insulin pump and other gadgets. Seeing a purple pump got that response from her! Of course (only in my mind) I said to myself, “Oh, no you don’t.”

2. Shannon Forbis
    Shannon Forbis February 26, 2012 at 5:08 am | | Reply

Thank you for the laughs, Wil, I always enjoy your posts and insights. So balanced. I am the parent of a type one PWD, so am I a type 3? :) Sometimes I feel like writing on forms that want to know my occupation, “pancreas.”

3. Scott E
    Scott E February 26, 2012 at 7:40 am | | Reply

I stockpile pump supplies. I’m now using infusion sets and reservoirs that I received a couple of years ago, and I still reorder every 3 months whether I need it or not (though I admit that, at times, I haven’t properly rotated through my supply, using the oldest first). I’ve got decent medical benefits through my wife (my job doesn’t offer benefits), and I figure I might as well use it. If she were to lose her job, I’d be in trouble. Just like Suze Orman on CNBC recommends keeping an 8-month emergency fund (cash), I think having an emergency stash of D-supplies, where practical, makes sense. Of course, this doesn’t work too well for stuff that expires – like insulin!

4. Natalie ._c-
    Natalie ._c- February 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm | | Reply

I do stockpile to some extent, but like you, I know about expiration dates. Next week, I turn 64, and the inevitable Medicare stuff will start to come, and I KNOW they don’t cover CGMs. So I’m just HOPING my current insurance will turn out to be secondary rather than supplemental, so maybe THEY’LL cover it. And of course, in 2014, the medical world as we know it will come to an end, and we’re not even Mayans (they got the date wrong). Let’s just hope it’s an improvement, and not a disaster!

5. Jan74
    Jan74 June 8, 2012 at 2:19 pm | | Reply

The only real stockpile we have is of lancets. I think we have lancets to last the rest of our life. Everything else is just a couple of months supply.

6. The Savvy Diabetic – DiabetesMine from AmyT: Tweaking My Basals, with Protein Tips

[...] it seemed time once again to tweak the basal settings on my insulin pump. I mean, if your background doses are off, everything else falls to pieces, right? So maybe my carb counting skills aren’t as lousy as I [...]