1. MariaCde
    MariaCde February 16, 2012 at 7:24 am | | Reply

I enjoyed reading this! You are a testimony that defies the myths that your insulin is ‘worse’ because you’re taking insulin..not so! Thanks so much for sharing your story.

2. MariaCde
    MariaCde February 16, 2012 at 7:25 am | | Reply

3. Lloyd
    Lloyd February 16, 2012 at 9:48 am | | Reply

I use a pump and the maximum dosage of metformin. The metformin cuts my need for insulin by more than half.

-Lloyd

4. Bunnyfreak
    Bunnyfreak February 16, 2012 at 9:50 am | | Reply

Glad to hear that others have problems with oral meds and manage insulin even with a needle phobia. It gives me encouragement.

5. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston February 16, 2012 at 10:23 pm | | Reply

You go, Kathleen – you are clearly a leader and a trooper. I’m with you on the steroid shots – it helps to have a pump! I’m not needle-phobic but admire you even more for finding ways to take insulin in order to take better care of yourself.

As to mom, who is so unsupportive, well feh, I guess ya just gotta say the serenity prayer (accept the things you cannot change….).

Warmest wishes.

6. Julia
    Julia February 17, 2012 at 1:55 am | | Reply

Oral meds to address the insulin resistance, without which, a lot of Type 2s would need an awful lot of insulin, huge doses of which can be dangerous. Since you were going low, does not sound like this was a problem for you. I think if oral meds are not working well, you have no choice but to try insulin. For our Type 1, it’s not an option.

7. Diabetic Survival Kit
    Diabetic Survival Kit February 17, 2012 at 2:30 am | | Reply

Thanks so much for your post. Insulin is appropriate for many people with type 2 diabetes and many are afraid to go on it. After a lot of persuasion, they eventually see how much better they are doing and settle down. Many people are so scared, they refuse to start. I will share your story with those that are so afraid of insulin, they say they would rather die than go on it.

1. Nancy
      Nancy August 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm | | Reply

I too am a T2 who avoided insulin for so long even though the oral meds were only partially working. I finally put on my big girl shoes and added insulin pens to my regimen. That made a huge difference for quite a few years and I am glad I finally did it. When my endo suggested a pump I was again very resistant. But I started looking in to them and made a decision to try it if my insurance approved (the only way I could do it). They did finally approve it and I started on the Omnipod six months ago and I could not be happier. My A1C is going down and I feel so much more in control with the pump.
      I am the classic person who is afraid to try the meds that would help me due to fear or stigma so I too encourage anyone who has hesitated moving forward with insulin in your diabetes battle to do so if your endo recommends it. At least think about it before totally discounting it as an option for you. I finally decided I would rather live with insulin.

8. Dave Webb
    Dave Webb February 17, 2012 at 11:25 am | | Reply

I too am on insulin with type 2. I have wild changes in my sugar levels. Mostly my own fault, I am sure. I am using a 70/30 mix. I have backed off of the metformin from 3 500mg pills a day to maybe one or two depending on how insulin resistant I have become. We normally keep a night schedule. Even though we have been retired for 5 years.
    I normally take 5 supplements with my tea in the morning (to me morning is 12 noon.) I take Ubiquinol (CQ10), Lecithin, A strong B complex, and a strong Alpha Lipoic Acid. I normally add in a Tumeric pill as a cancer inhibitor.
    My tea consists of two Bigalow cinnamon, one Tulsi Indian Breakfast Tea, One Ginseng-Honey, One double green Match, and 3 black red rose tea bags mixed into a boiling teapot that is 24 ounce. Into that I normally add 3 one ounce Ginseng extact liquid bottles. I refresh the pot with water. I normally add one capsule of 500 mg cinnamon into the teapot as well.
    If I exercise, the daytime levels go down to around 70-90 on the meter. If I don’t they stay around 185. Normally the tea causes a jump of about 40-50 points without exercise. With exercise it nose dives.
    Our normal meal is around 7 p.m. By 10 or 11 the levels jump into the 275 to 300 range. If it gets beyond that, I supplement with 500 mg Metformin in combination with 500 mg cinnamon tablets. Usually one each per hour. This brings things back to a level under 200.
    There is a direct relationship between how much carbohydrate I ingest and how high the sugars go. Also most carry out food contains too much sugar for me.
    The effect of the ginseng is well known in the orient. For a 69 1/2 year old man, it maintains my muscle levels. It is a known semi-steroid used to prolong life in the orient. Their diet consists of brown rice and various seafoods for the most part. A cabbage plant that is fermented called Kimche is a stable in Korea. It smells to high heaven! It is also highly peppered.
    I would love to see a study of type II amongst the Korean country people who have maintained the primitive diet vs the modern American diet.
    I suspect their type II levels to be at less than 1% of the population. The study would have to be people that have stuck to the older diet.
    So far I have been able to control the sugars with liberal amounts of mild exercise like walking through a department and grocery store like Walmart or Meijers.
    The problem with the insulin is weight gain. It is not uncommon for someone to gain 24 to 36 pounds the first year they are on the insulin. I have picked up about 15 pounds in the last year. It has stablilized meaning I am not gaining much more. It has caused an increase of lower abdomen weight which worries me. Come Spring, I am going out on my bicycle in an effort to push that weight level back to normal for me, which would be around 195 pounds on a 5/7 frame. I have also crossed most bread off my list of available foods. I go for the Eziekel sprouted grain bread now. I also shop at natural health food stores more. I have added milk back into my diet to up the calcium levels to keep the arthritis down.
    (In my case Acidophicos(wrong Spell) works to reduce swelling) Have to be careful as it contains way too much sugar for a diabetic. I have also found that a supplement called L-Carnosine helps with the glucose levels for me. I strongly suggest that you discuss anything you take with your family doctor. If you feel uncomfortable with this or he or she is highly critical of what you try, then get someone you are comfortable with. It is important to maintain a good honest relationship with those prescribing for you. Gosh, I am way too chatty here, gonna get off now.

9. Maryjo Ramseur
    Maryjo Ramseur February 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm | | Reply

Thanks for your clarification. I prefer to make out the print Marcy Lu

10. Natalie ._c-
    Natalie ._c- February 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm | | Reply

YAY, Kathleen! I commend you for being proactive about your own health, in spite of obstacles erected by insurance companies, and sometimes by doctors who truly don’t understand that each T2 is different, and you have to keep working at it until you find what works. Needle phobia is a toughie (I have a different phobia, and understand just how hard it can be), and I’m so encouraged to hear that you have found ways to deal with it. Happy to have you as my “diabetes sister”, even though I wish none of us had it! :-)

11. angomark
    angomark June 5, 2012 at 10:58 pm | | Reply

Good info .Thanks for article.

12. johnfenix
    johnfenix June 6, 2012 at 2:06 am | | Reply

Useful info about diabetes, thanks for the work.