1. Kelly Harp
    Kelly Harp January 6, 2012 at 6:49 am | | Reply

I am also an RN. I too missed all the warning signs she was have. We got lucky with her too, she was only 364 when she was diagnosed. I have never told anyone that I am an RN. I never want them to feel like I know it all and miss some important information. I listen to everything they say. Sometimes they are a little surprised at what I know but again I don’t want them to think I know everything, because I surely don’t. Right now I am a stay at home mom, but have considered going back to do something with diabetes. I remember clearly in school how much I didn’t like working with diabetes, funny how life changes for you!

2. Sarah
    Sarah January 6, 2012 at 7:40 am | | Reply

Thanks so much for writing this!! I was diagnosed as with Type 1 3 weeks ago in the emergency room. I’m 34. I feel lost, confused, angry, and really really sad. It’s so good to know that others feel that way…and that they share it with us. Oh, and the emergency room nurses were good, but didn’t really know about adult onset type 1. I was diagnosed initially as type 2 (because I’m too old to be type 1), and given metformin and sent on my merry way. Two hours later my bg was nearly 500.

3. steve
    steve January 6, 2012 at 8:47 am | | Reply

My daughter was getting up at night, going to pee, and drinking water out of the bathroom sink. I had type 1 diabetes for almost 20 years at the time. When my then mother in law (surgical nurse) insisted something was wrong, I checked my sweet 5 year old daughter’s blood sugar… HI. How could I have been so blind to the symptoms that I had lived through decades ago? Nurses rock.

4. Wendy
    Wendy January 6, 2012 at 9:01 am | | Reply

I’ve been a RN since 1995, and worked in the ER for 10 years. I had just transitioned to work in L&D when my daughter was dx in 2005.

For a month, I ignored, ignored, ignored. Ignorance was bliss. Besides, the symptoms were intermittent…so it was easy to reassure myself.

Then, at her 2 year well visit, I discussed my concerns with her pedi. I was told not to worry — since there’s no family history and all. I felt like I was being “that mom”, and by the end of the visit I felt completely silly for even bringing it up.

Three weeks later, she was in DKA — cerebral edema and all.

In fact, one of the pedi’s partners was our neighbor. The day before her dx, my husband went down to talk to her and she told him just to call the office the next day.

Nursing school did NOT prepare me for the task of raising a child with diabetes. Neither did 10 years of ER nursing. I’m not sure anything can prepare you for this.

Recently I blogged about our daughter’s 1st shot…everyone in the room was staring at me as the obvious choice to be the one to do it….

5. June S
    June S January 6, 2012 at 5:19 pm | | Reply

Welcome to the Type I club. I will have been a member of this club for 40 years, this coming July. I have no complications. I spent the first 10 years of this disease with no blood glucose meter; I tested my urine for sugar and once monthly I got either a fasting or afternoon blood glucose sample drawn. (The lab wasn’t open at night, so that wasn’t an option!)

I feel lucky, in that I was diagnosed back in the days when we Type I’s were admitted to the hospital for a few weeks (2 in my case) so we could learn all about this disease. Even though the care was primitive by today’s standards, we left the hospital knowing we had a serious but treatable chronic illness.

Good luck to all of you (above) who posted. You (or your offspring) will be just fine. Remember that a diagnosis of Type I back in the early 1900′s meant death. Treat every day as a gift, because it is one. Yes, there will be bumps, and surely life WITHOUT Type I would be easier, but get over that and you will survive and flourish.

6. Alexis Newell
    Alexis Newell January 7, 2012 at 9:59 am | | Reply

what a great post! Thank you for sharing, I think you have so much to offer not only our community but your RN friends…you get IT!

Awesome guest post Amy!

7. Pamela Snook
    Pamela Snook January 8, 2012 at 11:42 pm | | Reply

You are not alone. I am an RN also. 32 years. I’m also the author of some of the original grant work done to help people take care of their diabetes. Mostly, I have worked ICU and ER. Does that mean I am any better at managing my own diabetes. No. I know what to do when it gets high. I don’t go to the ER. But, do I have a free pass on the emotional struggles of managing this disease? No way. I face them everyday. And, sometimes I don’t do to well. I worked as a substitute school nurse a while back and was amazed at some of the issues the parents of some of my students faced even in this enlightened age. We have a long way to go. And, it can get really personal. I still want to be the hungry young woman who could consume tons of calories and stay thin. (I always ate healthy. My mom was a fanatic about that. No junk food.) But, my struggle continues, and I don’t always feel in control.

8. Kristin
    Kristin January 17, 2012 at 11:09 am | | Reply

As an RN myself, CDE and Type 1 for 26yrs. I work with Berit in the Diabetes Center. I’m lucky to be one of her coaches. She has taken a hold of her Diabetes, standing tall and full of fight. I learn from her on a daily basis. She is Bright Star in the Diabetes Community and her willingness to teach others as she is learning herself. I’m proud of her. I know the ER staff relys on her for her knowledge and her abilities to improve policies for best patient practices. Her future in the Diabetes world will benefit from her strengths in helping improve many lives also with diabetes.

9. Amy
    Amy February 4, 2012 at 7:43 pm | | Reply

I am lucky to be able to work with Berit in the Diabetes Center. She is a marvelous addition to our staff and is loved by all. She thrists for knowledge and is very willing to share with and teach others. Her understanding of what our patients deal with is apparent and she has a special way of reaching out to others.

10. Lori
    Lori February 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm | | Reply

Berit-you are an inspiration! I have never looked back with regret from the moment we met and you were hired in the ED. Thank you for your example as well as your friendship. I don’t doubt for a minute that you will bless many people who need you throughout your career as a nurse as well as diabetic educator. It is a privilege knowing you.

11. Diane
    Diane February 27, 2012 at 11:02 am | | Reply

I too, am an ER nurse. I was diagnosed with Type 2 last October. My doctor is a wise man, he said “we’re going to pretend you know nothing and have you go through the classes” which begin, for me, this month. I know all about caring for the diabetic in the ER but nothing about the daily live of a diabetic.
    For the last few years I have had fatigue, blood glucose at my annual check that were usually 104 or 105 and was told I was pre-diabetic. No one in my family had diabetes and I just basically blew it off. Fatigue and an increasing waist line didn’t tell me anything. It all finally came together this last year at my annual physical.
    I have shared my diagnosis with a few people at work and with all of my family. So, beginning the journey.