1. Roselady
    Roselady January 9, 2012 at 6:13 am | | Reply

I am curious what “ethical” means in this sentence: ViaCyte is working with embryonic stem cells that have been derived in an ethical way.

How is that done ethically? I thought that needed some explanation, as typically I would not describe the process as ethical.

2. David
    David January 9, 2012 at 8:50 am | | Reply

Wow, very excited and hopeful. Meeting FDA protocols and conducting experiments has got to be an overwhelming financial challenge.

3. Carol
    Carol January 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm | | Reply

I’ve always thought stem cells is the only way to go. My question is, can this be further developed using the patient’s own stem cells thereby hopefully eliminating the use of auto-suppressing drugs.

4. John
    John January 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm | | Reply

I would like to understand what the difference, outside of the obvious (pig cells), is between this technology and what LCT Technologies is testing in humans and claim to be 3 years away from commercialization?

I don’t believe this will make commercialization and the fact that we have to continue to wait and rely on help from the JDRF is a joke. It’s in the JDRF’s best interest to keep us all without a cure! They say the right things but look at their track record and investments. JOKE!

What about Denise Faustman, LCT Technologies and etc……

5. riva
    riva January 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm | | Reply

Thanks Allison. Of course watching the guru of stem cell research at Duke University last night on “60 Minutes” say that we’re probably 10 years away from stem cell therapy being viable for any illness, I’d say it’s nice to know these guys are working, but no one should hold their breath.

6. John
    John January 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm | | Reply

The bottom line is that all this research is just that, RESEARCH. At this point, there is no bedside application for any of it. If you look closely at the so called clinical trials, they are not for human application. The fact that there are no human trials and the JDRF spreads out their money among many different areas instead of focusing it in a small few, they dilute their actual impact and that is why I believe their portfolio of investment is actually counterproductive to finding a cure.

When research continues to remain at the mice stage, researchers never run the risk of finding out if it will work in people. If it fails in people then you’re done, game over. That is why all this research has yet to face the ultimate test and fail. Yes, there are some that have and some will argue there are clinical trials in people but read the actual documentation regarding the trials!

Researchers say the right things because after all, they are just like politicians trying to raise funds.

Unfortunately, researchers make a living at what they are pimping and all this talk about limited funds is BS. What it should be about is testing your research and changing paradigms; not spending 20 plus years with mice.

7. Gary
    Gary January 12, 2012 at 5:01 am | | Reply

Ummm. there are a few researchers/companies that have been in human studies. LCT, Dr Faustman, Exsulin (not sure what is going on with them?) Personally I think Viacyte has the best chance to get their product commercialized if It shows safe and effective in humans. I am hoping that Dr Faustman’s therapy pans out especially since it would not only be cheap but will possibly be a true disease reversal. The difference is I think BCG is a longer shot because we don’t really know if its capable of doing what she/we hopes it will. We already know Islet transplantation can work. I think where research is now at this point we will either see a treatment breakthrough within the decade or we will probably never see anything at all. At that point funding anymore research will be a total waste.

8. susan
    susan January 13, 2012 at 10:33 am | | Reply

This sounded good until ‘teflon’ was identified as the membrane substnce. What if you’re sensitive to teflon?

9. John
    John January 28, 2012 at 6:37 am | | Reply

I was noodling around on the web and came across a company in Asia using adult stem cell therapies. It’s called Vigendo, http://www.vigendo.com/, and they claim to have been doing this cell therapy since 2004! Why haven’t we heard more about it?

It seems to me that there are so many daily reports of treatments and breakthroughs that conflict one another that it’s no wonder people are confused, outraged, and disappointed when it comes to the bedside for new or less invasive treatment(s) for T1.

Thank you.

10. Ahmed El-Shaarawy
    Ahmed El-Shaarawy December 20, 2012 at 6:51 am | | Reply

I’m an Egyptian professor of clinical pathology and head of regenerative medicine department, National Liver Institute. Really, It is amazing work I follow that research since 2009. I think when finished Nobel’s prize is your right. When you start clinical trial , how patients form outside USA can be included in such trials ?

11. ronald conklin
    ronald conklin May 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm | | Reply

people keep looking for a cure of type1&2 diabetes. viacyte has it. the implantable device should have been used on patients years ago. whats the problem? the FDA since 2007 will not approve clinical trials. the FDA and the IRS have something in common. viacyte should move to another country and start curing diabetics. viacyte would become rich heros.

i just cannot understand the diabetic orginazations in america always asking for research money when the cure is here, it is safe, it is implantable and retractable. apparently its more profitable to sell insulin than cure diabetics. mice are being cured while humans die.