1. Jamie Naessens
    Jamie Naessens January 2, 2012 at 9:47 am | | Reply

Whoa Allison, you’ve helped me tremendously with this, and have inspired me to make some real change in a way that I think might actually work for me. I’m off to start my plan….

2. Sysy
    Sysy January 2, 2012 at 10:16 am | | Reply

great post! I have followed Leo Baubata’s (of Zen Habits) 6 changes method for years (6changes.com) and had much success with it while documenting it on my blog (so true that writing helps!) I also like the thought of making changes or creating new habits versus just tossing a resolution up in the air and hoping (fingers crossed) that it happens :)

3. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter January 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm | | Reply

I log 2 different ways: Smart Charts from Diabetes Mall ( I like the daily graph) and CareLink, which I do every few weeks. While CareLink uploads, I play solitaire (reward). My pump has a bolus history thingy and my meter has an all results thingy; if I don’t write things down immediately, I can go back there. I use them to tweak my basal/bolus every couple of weeks. I see where I’m tending to go out of line, and try to bring them back toward normal. OCD runs in my family.

4. susan f
    susan f January 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | | Reply

I rely heavily on my CGMS for spur of the moment decisions – no logging! What I DO do is commit to some sort of ‘test’ every couple of months. Whether I decide to verify my morning carb ratio, or fast to test my basal rates – during those periods, I write *everything* down. But unless things are suddenly off-kilter (always high overnight or some such), I found it groundbreaking to let go of the supposed need to log. I met someone on insulin-pumpers.org that had this philosophy, and it’s been so liberating to let go of something I never successfully achieved.

The question you have to ask yourself is what the desired outcome is. Is the desired outcome to find the perfect dose for a meal you eat all the time? Is it to log caloric intake? Sometimes you can solve those problems without a commitment to daily logging. How do you plan to USE the logs? What problem are you trying to solve?

My a1c is usually right around 7.0; given my hypo unawareness, I think this is a reasonable outcome.

1. Mary Fairweather Dexter
      Mary Fairweather Dexter January 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm | | Reply

I have LADA, so my rates vary depending on what my beta cells are doing, which also varies. By logging and graphing everyday, I can make the needed changes before they get too out of whack. My CGM is sometimes accurate, sometimes very difficult to get calibrated, especially when my blood sugar is highly variable, so I rely more on the log book of metered numbers and graphs.

1. susan f
        susan f January 4, 2012 at 5:23 pm | | Reply

I use the cgms report – modal periods – to look at ‘chunks’ of time that are too high or too low. I then run specific experiments to figure out why.

The average sensor reading from my cgms always 100% matches my a1c.

So for example, today, I am doing a basal rate test (no carbs, no exercise) because I feel like I’ve been getting low at dinner a fair amount. So for weeks, I haven’t written a thing down, but today, I micromanaged – testing every two hours, having the cgms on, and writing down anything that went in my mouth (in case I falsely assumed something had no carbs or some such).

Assuming I can successfully complete the test, I may make an adjustment, repeat the test, and then I am back to no logging.

5. Laura G.
    Laura G. January 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm | | Reply

Never logged for the sake of logging, never will. I never stop and write down what I eat, how far I walk, how many tiny doses of insulin or tiny basal alterations I give myself all day long. It’s been a long time since I even felt guilty about that. Back when I used to try logging, nothing ushered in burnout faster, and I can’t afford burnout. I’d rather practice improving a specific aspect of my control, or cook, exercise, study, read blogs or train my memory and awareness than write down my life each day. (See also: http://scottsdiabetes.com/2011/12/clipboard-lanyard)

What I’m willing to do that seems productive–I download CGM weekly and keep a simple chart of average BG, % of BGs in range, standard deviation, and also the average daily insulin intake from my pump. I also test ratios and basals now and then and tweak them often, based on paying attention and reviewing CGM data, not based on my clipboard-on-a-lanyard!!

Love the “sticky habits” ideas though. Still working on ways to make real exercise stick…

6. john anderson
    john anderson January 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm | | Reply

great post! what has worked for me has been attaching a personal side to writing in my logbook. i use at least one log a day to make a note or comment about that reading/checkup. an example from just this afternoon as i sat in front of my local b&n bookstore with a 44 bg;
    my eyes rolled way back
    waiting for the sweetness to retuen
    i sit here just like the other addicts

7. rene
    rene January 2, 2012 at 4:37 pm | | Reply

Lo que dices es muy cierto y de gran ayuda, cuando yo empece a cambiar mis habitos, me costo mucho a un principio, pero cuando me propuse metas, fue como una fuerza que me empujaba a llegar a ellas, y fue mucho mejo aun cuando me comprometi con alguien, es decir le prometi a mi esposa, que lo lograria, y gracias a eso pude, ahora soy una mejor persona, y en crecimiento constante, gracias, por este espacio y por la gran información que brindas en este blog

8. john anderson
    john anderson January 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm | | Reply

great post!
    when i talk to others about monitoring their bg’s i emphasize making it personnal , add a note or a short comment or as i did today by adding this quick poem;
    my eyes rolled way back
    waiting for the sweetness to return
    i sit here like the other addicts
    a personnal note makes and keeps this yours

9. Steve