1. John
    John January 24, 2012 at 9:08 am | | Reply

While this sounds great, we’ve heard it all before and how does this resolve the singular problem of supply? We keep hearing the same issue time and time again, supply, supply, supply. Why hasn’t this changed? We have been working on this issue for the last decade or more and we still have supply issues?

My other question is what constitutes a cure versus a commercial ready treatment option. If I had to get a pouch every 3 – 6 months that is totally acceptable in my opinion. It would eliminate the need for contstant worry and maintenance for the 3 – 6 months. I think we can all agree that a cure would be great but what about a better treatment? It doesn’t sound like cost would be too great since it sounds like a minor implant process using approved polymers.

Not that this is even relevant but Suzanne Sommers claimed that cells were taken from her and manipulated in the lab and then injected into her breast that was removed and a new breast formed. Why can’t this process be done to use your own donor cells and insert into the pouch?

2. John
    John January 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm | | Reply

Allison, do the islet cells still come from cadaver donors? If stem cells are to solve the supply issue, they are still way off in the future. At least a decade away, unless I missed a breakthrough that can be commercialized.

It still seems like we are many, many years away from anything at the bedside.

Will you be checking in with LCT Technologies which is also pressing forth with encapsulation using pig cells?

3. carlos
    carlos January 30, 2012 at 11:29 am | | Reply

have heard of Dr. Rafael Valdes Gonzalez Salas ?

4. John
    John March 12, 2012 at 8:05 am | | Reply

What is the latest greatest treatmnet for type 1, My son has just been diagnosed and i belive he still has 20% funtion due to early detection..

5. Ross Orr
    Ross Orr May 12, 2012 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

Sernova recently received Health Canada Approval to begin a study, under the guidance od Dr. Shapiro of the Edmonton Protocol, to insert the cell pouch into human recipients.

6. Julia
    Julia July 3, 2012 at 1:38 am | | Reply

I know, from my own research that Sernova is building upon the technique done by Dr. Raphael Valdes Gonzales who transplanted patients with porcine islets in his own device, along with the Sertoli cells from pig’s testicles. His research was discredited (wrongly, I believe) and he was stopped from refining and performing more transplants. His patients were off insulin or had greatly reduced needs and long lasting improved glycemic control. Therefore Sernova could use porcine islets and pig’s Sertoli cells as well. I only hope Dr. Valdes gets credit and profits from his ideas. I wish Sernova God speed. Had Dr. Riccordi listened to Valdes’ objections as to how the DRI was not correctly carrying out his procedure (DRI attempted to duplicate Valdes’ claims without success; therefore Valdes was discredited, I believe this product would have hit the market by now…. in Mexico at least. Meaning no disrespect to the DRI, I believe they did try to duplicate the work, were not successful and did not follow through as I believe they should have.

1. Ross Orr
      Ross Orr August 17, 2012 at 9:03 am | | Reply

Did you see the news yesterday about the beginning of clinical trials for the cell pouch. First patient received the cell pouch about a month ago and the first transplant of islet cells has been done.

7. Ross Orr
    Ross Orr July 6, 2012 at 10:42 am | | Reply

You are correct. The Mexican doctor was doing the procedures in Mexico back as far as 2003 because the FDA and HPB wouldn’t allow him to do them in the US or Canada. Thats understandable but its taken almost 10 years to get to the stage where people shortly be used. Dr. Shapiro, he of the Edmonton Protocol fame, will be overseeing the implants I believe this month on a selected few but the study could grow to 20 people this year. Dr. Toleikis has compared this product to his past success which was the drug coated stent of Angiotech. Even though its a medical device it has taken a long time to get to where they are today. I noticed the other day that Bristol Myers bot Amylin for over $5B. Crazy. This little company has a market cap of $20M and I believe they are going to start looking at other indications for their cell pouch. Pretty heady stuff.

8. Ross Orr
    Ross Orr August 16, 2012 at 5:40 am | | Reply

Sernova announced today that they have successfully transplanted islet cells into a cell pouch in a human being. The test/trial is being overseen by Dr. Shapiro at the Univ of Alberta, home of the Edmonton Protocol. There is a dial in conference call this am at 9EDT and Im sure the tape will be on the web after if you miss it.