1. Crystal
    Crystal January 18, 2012 at 5:31 pm | | Reply

She, like everyone else, is a person first. She is a human being.
    Yup, that sums it up.

All the judging we hate and now people are so ready to do that to her? Where does that get Anyone?

2. Kelly Booth
    Kelly Booth January 18, 2012 at 5:45 pm | | Reply

I agree with Crystal. She is a human being first. She spent over 60 years of her life eating a certain way and it is hard for anyone to just change everything they knew in life. I wish people would learn to show more compassion over hate.

3. Trevor
    Trevor January 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm | | Reply

I have no problem with her waiting. she could have chosen not to come out at all. i don’t expect her to change her cooking style to much she has always said she does not eat like that all the time or hardly at all.

Its like alot of the food on foodnetwork its for sunday supper or special occasions then there is food you can make everyday. its personal choice

4. Sharon Wachsler
    Sharon Wachsler January 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm | | Reply

I felt saddened by the tone of this article. Deen comes across, as the previous commenter said, like a sincere and real *person.* And some of her points, however much they might not fit with what you’d wish in a role model, are valid. For example, she can’t suddenly not be who she is. Nobody can. I tend to be very cynical, and I do NOT get the impression she’s trying to pull a fast one. Whereas Deen’s comments and reactions seemed sincere, some of the comments of the writer/interviewer (“Fancy that.” “You be the judge.” “She *sounded* like a heartfelt Southern belle,” etc.) seemed gratuitous to me. Why not give readers credit in being able to draw their own conclusions based on the interview itself, rather than the remarks bracketing it?

1. Kassie
      Kassie February 17, 2012 at 8:23 am | | Reply

Well stated, Sharon! The toneof this “interview” was set early and clearly, and it felt very “gotcha”. Straightforward questions can be asked in a way that doesn’t so clearly show the interviewer’s pre-formed opinion.

5. k2
    k2 January 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm | | Reply

Glad you posted this, Amy.
    And good for you Paula, for dealing with your type 2 diabetes – And dealing with all the positive and negative that it’s generating!
    Sometimes I think we forget that we all make mistakes with our diabetes & our lives. Some make their mistakes publicly, others have the benefit of doing so in private.
    If you were to judge me as 18 or 21 year old person living with type 1 all those years ago – you wouldn’t have thought so highly of me.
    Living a successful diabetes life takes time, it takes knowledge, and it takes change! Technically, isn’t she doing all that??
    As far as being a paid spokesperson for a diabetes pharma co, she is one of many.
    I’m not going to judge you, Paula, because I don’t want someone judging me on my diabetes; and don’t one someone not getting checked by a Dr. for diabetes because they’re afraid of being vilified. Seriously, that crap’s gotta stop.
    But I will say: Welcome to the diabetes on-line community! Now, show us what you got, girl & become a part of it!
    Kelly K

1. k2
      k2 January 18, 2012 at 7:36 pm | | Reply

What I meant to say towards the end but made all sorts of typos : “Some people don’t go to their Dr. to see if they have diabetes because they are afraid of being vilified.”

6. Colleen
    Colleen January 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm | | Reply

Ditto, Crystal. IF we’re going to encourage anyone! with d to seek support, help, encouragement, then we need to stop criticizing those who tell us they have diabetes. I personally, will NOT become a “diabetes police” for anyone else. Because, you know what, it sucks to have diabetes. And I haven’t had a Krispy Kreme doughnut since I was dx’d. But I miss them…

7. AmyT
    AmyT January 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm | | Reply

@Sharon – I guess I’m just a very wary girl. Besides, if we were all positive about her, I’m sure some ppl would critize us for that.

8. diabetty
    diabetty January 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm | | Reply

To a certain extent I can fully understand Ms. Deen’s desire not to talk about her diagnosis. I didn’t for years and I still feel weird about being openly diabetic in public (asking for special foods at work events, testing in class, stuff like that). This ain’t easy.

BUT. I’m not a gozillionaire who stands to make a gozillion more off my disease.

And by the way, thanks but no thanks, Ms. Deen, for indirectly contributing to obscenely high medication prices.

9. Kim
    Kim January 18, 2012 at 7:18 pm | | Reply

I’m a little embarrassed that this seems to be Paula’s first experience with the diabetes online community.

Not everyone is out to judge you, Paula. We all have a lot to learn, a lot to struggle with, and a winding road to navigate when it comes to life with diabetes. None of us is perfect. All of us have a rough time, in our own ways.

10. Jess
    Jess January 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm | | Reply

i feel sad and angry about all of this at the same time.

it is NOT our job to judge other people, in regards to diabetes or to anything else.

for me, the diabetes online community has been a place full of compassion, acceptance and encouragement. it horrifies me to see so much judgement and spite.

no matter how you feel about paula, she is a person, and deserves to be treated as such.

my heart aches.

11. Sara
    Sara January 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm | | Reply

This is not the introduction to the diabetes online community that I had hoped Paula would receive.

Asking the questions objectively may have given her more opportunity to share her true thoughts and feelings and may have provided opportunities to direct her to the support that she will need as her pursues her new lifestyle.

Also, I would hate to be judged for some of the decisions I have made in my diabetes management (especially in my earlier days) and I am guessing that many in the diabetes community feel the same way.

12. Noah
    Noah January 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm | | Reply

Popped in to see if she had anything relevant to add. Not really.

Now, I’m all for folks finding a way of dealing with diabetes that they can sustain over the long term. It’s certainly difficult enough to deal with, even if you do find a way that provides the desired results. Kind of a bummer that she seems to be getting only the standard ADA dietary advice on dealing with Type 2 diabetes. Low fat, high “complex” carbs. What a crock.

Personally, if I’d kept going that way, I’d be taking niacin, heavy duty statins, metformin, probably using insulin injections and still 120 lbs overweight. Following the glucose data (started out doing waking, pre/post meal and bedtime glucose tests) eventually lead me to my current dietary approach: cut the carbs (all of them, except the lower-carb veggies), moderate protein and boost the fats (mostly saturated and mono-unsaturated). The weight dropped and I’m able to workout without my hips, knees and ankles screaming and frequently just giving out. I see a post meal high over 100 about once a week and my fasting/pre-meal glucose runs in the low to mid 80s.

Would it work for every Type-2 diabetic? Dunno. It’s just a shame that so many Type-2′s consistently get the absolute wrong advice on the dietary side of the equation. Going low-carb and high fat isn’t necessarily a walk in the park, especially over the first couple weeks (the shift to a fat and ketone dominated metabolism can be intense), but the benefits have been so worth it.

13. val
    val January 19, 2012 at 4:59 am | | Reply

Hmm, I have to chime in here. I too found the tone of the intro/summary a bit harsh.

The takeaway I get from Paula’s answers, is that even if you’re rich and famous, the education for T2 is sadly lacking. She hadn’t heard about warnings on Victoza? Unfortunately, diabetes of any type is usually too complex and personalized to leave decisions just to your doctor.

Paula – you are exercising: great! Reducing portion sizes: great! Making healthier choices: great! Keep up the good work — but please, take the time to educate yourself on the medications you take and the possible side effects. One size does not fit all in diabetes treatments, and unless you see your doctor daily, use your doctor for guidance but yourself for data on what treatment works best.

14. Jen Noll
    Jen Noll January 19, 2012 at 5:44 am | | Reply

People are not upset with Paula Deen because she has Type 2 Diabetes. They are upset with her because she has continued to PROMOTE FOR HER OWN PERSONAL GAIN dangerous, unhealthy eating habits. For the last three years Ms. Deen has been well-paid by television producers and cookbook publishers to teach the public how to create dishes which are high in both fat and carbs – two things which, through her own diabetes education, she knows to be public health risks.

Novo Nordisk should be ashamed for paying her to be a celebrity spokesperson. What’s next, MADD hiring Lindsey Lohan for its public service announcements?

15. mollyjade
    mollyjade January 19, 2012 at 8:15 am | | Reply

I wouldn’t ever criticize someone for getting diabetes or for choosing to keep their health private. I sure will criticize someone for pretending to help educate people about diabetes without knowing anything about it just so that person can make money.

16. john p
    john p January 19, 2012 at 8:48 am | | Reply

Amy, you came off petty. Paula came off as someone still a little floored that she has diabetes, and someone who was terribly polite with a rude interviewer.

The DOC is full of experts on diabetes, so sometimes they forget that MOST PATIENTS aren’t experts! It took me years to be comfortable with being a type 1, it’s not surprising that it took her a couple years. And is it that bad that she decided to sponsor a drug? Lots of people do. The risk associated with Novo Nordisk isn’t fully understand, and after big official meetings with them would Paula (a busy businesswoman in her own right) google them? Probably not. She made a mistake sure, but you’re acting like she’s an evil criminal mastermind.

And I think Paula can continue to eat her delicious southern treats. Just because we’re diabetic doesn’t mean we can’t eat the things we love. We just need to eat them less often. I see no contradiction.

I’ve read DM for 5 years and this is the first time I haven’t liked you Amy. This self righteous, “hard hitting journalist” comes off in a really unattractive way. You can ask tough questions without being…. rude.

It’s the internet, do what you want, but damn.

17. Mike Hoskins
    Mike Hoskins January 19, 2012 at 10:20 am | | Reply

I, too, am embarrassed about the reception. The questions struck me as being judgmental, the very thing we so often preach that we’re working to avoid.

However, I think Paula Deen responded quite well.

Yes, I’m conflicted on how she’s been sending the same message during the past three years” despite the diagnosis, knowing that the exact food she’s been making is a warning sign – hypocrisy exists, to me.

But I can’t make a judgment about this being “profit-driven,” as so many apparently can. I’m trying to have a little faith that what she says is true, that this has been and is a tough road she doesn’t fully understand, and that in the end we’re all in this community together battling the same misconceptions and lack of public knowledge.

Let’s move forward, and hope Paula uses her spotlight in a way that benefits both us a D-Community and the population as a whole.

18. AmyT
    AmyT January 19, 2012 at 10:52 am | | Reply

People – these are the pointed questions that the media & nation are aiming at Paula right now. My feeling was to give her a chance to speak out in her own words and respond. How would you have suggested I should otherwise spend my few moments talking with her, amidst all this controversy? Sheesh.

@John – It’s unfortunate if this came off as offensive to you. Although I’m very happy if you’ve really been reading DM for 5 years and this is the first thing you didn’t like ;)

19. Paul
    Paul January 19, 2012 at 11:42 am | | Reply

My brother, my niece and I have type 1, My younger sister is type 2. I try very hard to not make judgements about the control of another diabetic. The day I get perfect contol of my diabetes, I will. All people with diabetes live in glass houses.

20. Dr. Gwenn
    Dr. Gwenn January 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

We have to be very, very careful of criticizing anyone struggling to come to terms with a chronic disease. As someone who has walked in these shoes over the last 3 years as I’ve learned to deal with learning I had Rheumatoid Arthritis, I completely understand where she’s coming from. It isn’t easy to adjust to a chronic condition and 3 years is not that long in trying to sort it all out.

Paula is between a rock and a hard place. I give her credit for even granting people interviews and trying to help people live their lives by eating the foods they love with diabetes. Good for her! Frankly, that’s the type of attitude people with chronic conditions need to hear.

21. Deborah Montesano
    Deborah Montesano January 19, 2012 at 2:39 pm | | Reply

I think Paula Deen is an opportunist, enriching herself and the drug company she’s representing, when good, honest information is desperately needed in our society. My husband and I have been on a three month (so far) journey learning how to deal with his Diabetes II and I’ve documented what we’ve learned (so far) in a blog posting, “Fending Off Diabetes”. If she’s really concerned about her public instead of her profits, she needs to lay out the info.

22. Casabby
    Casabby January 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm | | Reply

My question is not why Paula Deen is choosing to represent Novo-Nordisk. Heavens, they’re probably paying her big money and giving her lots of attention.

My question is why they think that the diabetes community would want her as a spokesperson. She seems to know very little about Type 2 and her career is preparing food that is not healthy for anyone. There must be better role models out there and I know that most Type 2 diabetes message boards are filled with people who are much more qualified to inspire me than Paula Deen.

23. Linda
    Linda January 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm | | Reply

Boy, I have to agree with the majority, Amy. You were really rude and unpleasant. It’s hard enough to be a celebrity without having to be a spokesperson for a disease you are just wrapping your head around. Why is it, that just because Paula Deen is a chef, she is EXPECTED to revolutionize the world of Diabetes? Sure, it would be nice, but who are we to demand that of her or anyone else? I think Paula was sincere, a little overwhelmed, but honest; she can’t change who she is, not overnight. For 62 years she has lived a certain way and for the last three, she has tried to comply with a completely new set of rules-rules that are pretty much diametrically opposed to what has made her successful. Let’s welcome her to the online community and HELP her to make the changes she needs to make, not condemn her for her past.

24. Eileen
    Eileen January 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm | | Reply

Most commenters are seeing Paula as a patient/ disease victim/ fellow diabetic.

Amy is seeing her as a woman who has become rich selling bad health practices and now will further her riches selling drugs to her fellow diabetics.

Both views are correct.

25. Lucy
    Lucy January 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm | | Reply

I’m glad to see the comments here…there’s more than one way to ask the same question, and if you asked them as you have written, then “sheesh,” indeed. It’s certainly your blog to write what you like, but I would hesitate to send a non-diabetic friend here to read this article lest they assume your attitude is indicative of the rest of the online diabetes community.

26. AmyT
    AmyT January 19, 2012 at 9:46 pm | | Reply

Really Lucy? Really?? Every time we post an interview with some celebrity spokesperson for a pharma company, we get flack about how they’re just cheap sell-outs and we shouldn’t be supporting that. Now suddenly everyone’s mad because I didn’t handle Paula Deen with kid gloves?

Really?

For the record: After talking to Ms. Deen, I wasn’t at all sure if I had just chatted with a sweet innocent woman or if I’d just been bamboozled in the worst way — she literally comes
    across so sticky sweet that you’re just not sure. Skepticism expressed. End of story.

1. Deborah Montesano
      Deborah Montesano January 19, 2012 at 10:19 pm | | Reply

I’m a non-diabetic, checking out info in support of my husband’s newly diagnosed diabetes. This is the first time I’ve been on this site and I don’t think you have anything to apologize for. There is enough confusion about this disease without someone like Paula Deen muddying the waters with bad information and advocacy for a drug to treat diabetes, but without cleaning up her act nutritionally. Supportive and information about the most basic tool for dealing with it–diet–is crucial. And all the while food has made her fortune! I’m furious with the woman!

2. Moosha
      Moosha July 1, 2012 at 9:47 am | | Reply

I truly have to agree with Amy here. Paula Deans responses do not strike me as “sincere”. They strike me as “sticky sweet” celebrity responses, insincere, in-genuine, geared toward protecting an image, promoting herself, and bordering on martyr-ism. She’s a celebrity who has made riches promoting to the public some of the most unhealthy meals a person can eat. She’s the poster girl for the foods to eat to promote this disease. She accepts this drug companies money and tells us at the same time she’s uneducated about diabetes, is incapable of really scaling back her recipes like her son is and probably won’t change her eating habits MUCH except for portion sizes, and then says she knows literally nothing about the drug she’s promoting. Really? Why would a person do that EXCEPT for the money and continued notoriety and publicity? This is not a responsible educated spokesperson. She can’t even promote appropriate meals, she leaves that to her son! “He’s doing his own recipes – stuff he grew up on, but removing as much of the fat and calories as possible. Bobby’s way ahead of me in that area.” Come ON Novo Nordisk – give your head a shake. And Paula, step away from the food cart here marked Opportunity and More Money and be responsible and educate yourself, for your own sake. We need a better role model, thanks.

27. Liezl
    Liezl January 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy- I appreciate how direct and straightforward you were with Paula Deen. For years I always enjoyed watching her cook but was always shocked at the sticks of butter put into the recipes. I do feel skeptical of the timing of her diabetes announcement. At face value it does seem opportunistic of her to keep quiet for the last 3 yrs while making all the buttery and high sugar recipes in order to keep going with her show. Now with the pharmaceutical deal, she wants to represent the diabetes community and NOW she wants to make healthier recipes.

I also notice how she talks about her type II condition lightly and almost with a smile. A positive attitude is great. My boyfriend is borderline diabetic. My boyfriend’s mom does have type II. She has had a stroke. Now she is in the hospital and might lose her foot. It just seems that Paula Deen is treating her diabetes condition as if she had a cold and that she just has to eat “in moderation” and not drink sweet tea.. She promotes this Novo drug without knowing the side effects. People do follow her. Before they followed her buttery recipes. Now they will follow her by taking this drug with unknown side effects. Ok, my 2 cents from NJ!

28. Liezl
    Liezl January 19, 2012 at 10:56 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy- did my long comment go thru? :) I enjoyed reading this and had alot to say about the Paula Deen announcement. Let me know if it did not go thru! Great blog. I was researching for loved ones who have type II.

29. Liezl
    Liezl January 19, 2012 at 11:07 pm | | Reply

Ok. I guess my 3 paragraphs did not post! Anyway I said that I appreciated your interview with Paula, Amy. Like many I am skeptical of the timing of her type II announcement. For years I loved watching her make her buttery recipes. I guess for the last 3 yrs she kept making her buttery recipes and did not go public with her type II condition until this pharmaceutical deal.

Before she was pushing the buttery recipes for her tv show. Now she is pushing lighter, modified recipes at the time of her drug deal. It is concerning that alot of people do follow her. Before they followed her buttery food. Now they will follow taking this Novo drug with unknown side effects. It also seems off that she is taking her diabetic condition lightly or at least that is the perception. I know many people who have diabetes and they take it more seriously. I believe that her sons are also getting money from the drug company to promote. Ok my 2 cents from NJ!

30. Mark
    Mark January 20, 2012 at 7:13 am | | Reply

My turn to chime in. I didn’t find a problem with the Q&A. Amy, you provide a valuable service to us and we need to know the truth behind any and all persons who endorse a diabetes-related drug. In addition, I’m NOT a fan of using celebrities for diabetes pharmaceuticals. I don’t care if they’re the nicest, most honest person on the earth. They DO NOT represent my diabetes. I would rather marketers use one of us – who are not making a living in the entertainment industry – to promote their products. That’s reality.

31. Elijah
    Elijah January 20, 2012 at 8:49 am | | Reply

Nice questions and fair questions aren’t the same thing. Not even close. Every one of Amy’s questions were completely fair and objective. The truth can offend some people. Too bad. She has nothing to apologize for.

From her answers here, PD clearly knows very little about the drug she’s endorsing, which makes her a poster child for why celebrities shouldn’t endorse prescription drugs; and if the timing of her announcement doesn’t strike you as crass opportunism, I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

As a fellow diabetic, I’d consider her endorsement poison.

32. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter January 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

Some of this is miscommunication stemming from the juncture of two different cultures. Some is a lack of perspective coupled with a rosy amnesia.

I remember when I was first diagnosed as a Type II (I’m LADA). All my GP told me was to cut back on sugar, so I ate only a fraction of the Twizzlers everyone else was eating backstage. It was weeks before anyone explained carb-counting to me. My siblings still don’t understand. They think it’s just part of being a vain, shallow actress and they tell me they couldn’t possibly do without the fries and the milkshake and the sundae for dessert as I nibble at my salad and sip my Diet Coke and remember.

Think celebrities get better health care? Tell Michael Jackson or Heath Ledger. We are brought up to trust our healthcare providers. Some of us learn not to.

Don’t believe everything you see on TV. Remember Fox News’ palm trees in the background of the Madison, WI “riots” last January? Gordon Ramsey promotes “healthy eating” but I still go into shock watching him cook. He adds sugar like Julia Child added booze. The man has treacle in his veins.

None of us is perfect. None of us deserves to be diabetic. All of us need each other, even the stars.

33. mcityrk
    mcityrk January 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy-

Questions seemed tough and direct but fair. And lets not forget that PD has had 3 years to come to grips with her disease and who knows how much PR coaching before finally making her announcement. The really scary part is her willingness to trust her doctor while only taking minimal responsibility for maintaining her own health. I guess some can get lucky with that approach but so many more get crushed by it. Surprised at Novo as the idea of a spokesperson whose behavior in public airways over the last decade is diametrically at odds with how a Type II diabetic person should treat their disease seems almost surely to promote a backlash against a drug already considered checkered by many.

34. Jan
    Jan January 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

Well I am just on my witts end reading this. It’s draining. I think it’s sad she waited so long to come out! Why now? The money?

I just want to applaud a few in the diabetic community that have made my life so much better for sharing there lives from day one with me and many others.

1. Amy T YOU are wonderful and wise. Diabetesmine has been by my side for along time now. Been a great example to me since my diagnoses 3 yrs ago.

2. Manny Hernandez at http://tudiabetes.org I am apart of that community and love love it! Amazing people doing amazing things.

3. Jill Knapp who I found on tudiabetes your a wonderful example and lead a lifestyle that I try to follow of healthy and advocacy. Your site has brought me so much motivation while in my darkest hour. http://getupandgetmoving.net

4.Brandy Barnes I have never met you in person personally but I think your a wonderful example. and really are an amazing lady. http://diabetessisters.org

These are the people in our community to look up too. Truly hard working advocates who do so much in the name of diabetes.

God bless!

1. Bing
      Bing February 7, 2012 at 8:41 am | | Reply

I think your right. We should turn to those good example and people who have not deceived the nation.

35. BlueLes
    BlueLes January 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm | | Reply

Honestly, I don’t think she was asked enough of the difficult questions, but I understand that time was a factor. She did seem very sincere, which is why I’ve always liked her despite her recipes. I also think that she has a damn good publicist who has spent the last few months coaching her on what to say. There is no way her publicist wasn’t sitting there quietly listening in on the call and giving her visual cues as to how a question should be answered. I have conducted too many interviews where this has happened with people way less famous and with a lot less at stake. It is damage control through and through. Don’t forget, the Food Network has a stake in this as well and everything in the entertainment industry is monitored down to the most minute detail.

36. Amy D. Hopkins
    Amy D. Hopkins January 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm | | Reply

Fascinating interview. Fascinating discussion. I found this website only a few months ago and realized that the comments section represents a broader population than most sites, many deeply involved with insight into their conditions, and most articulate great effort to control the daily fluctuations of symptoms which result from trying to live a normal life.

I am a 80 yr. old retired R.N. I have a family history of diabetes.
    For the past 10 years I have spent a lot of energy convincing my doctor to watch my glucose levels. He did not take me seriously until February of 2011, at which time my A1C registered 6.1. His response to this was intense- outlining a diet, exercise program, daily glucose checks, etc. He suggested I lose weight, an obvious need as I weighed 147# at 5′. Though I reminded him that I was aware the condition was expected, he had a hard time believing it. Fast forward to January, 2012 for my yearly exam. Wt. loss-35#, A1C 6.1. My doctor was so upset that I hadn’t reversed the disease, but insisted that I had lost too much weight too fast. Otherwise, I was fine. I think I need a diabetic specialist.

My daughter had experienced Diabetes of Pregnancy with her daughter. Afterward, she returned to normal. That was nineteen years ago. Recently, I asked her what her A1C was. Because she didn’t know, hadn’t seen her doctor for a while, etc. I suggested that she go get an A1C. It came back a 6.0. I then suggested she go back to the doctor and see what he had to say, as well as sending her my diet. Now, she says she is not going to see the doctor, she’s just going to lose weight. So, there! When she says this it is just like a three year old stamping her foot and saying “NO”! Tone of voice and inflection complete.

I thought of my conversation with her when I read the interview with Paula Deene, one of my favorite TV cooks. The conciousness is there, but the understanding is missing. I have an intimation that her children may be more concerned than she. For some, the message may not get through completely and the routine doesn’t change too much until there is a crisis. Medication may control the hyperglycemia, if any, but the danger lies in the details(and the fine print). If her doctor has prescribed this medication that she takes(and is hyping) I hope that he explained to her the side effects. Did she not want to hear? Did she not listen? Or, did she, after hearing the details, decide to take it because of the chance to advertise it?

Paula Deene is a beautiful woman, a fine cook for the person who does not have diabetes. She is not, however, a dietician or a specialist dietician. With her background, I assume she had to make a lot of adjustments to her personal life and diet. What impact did this have on her personal life, family life, relationships with her children, her career? Before condemning her conduct or career behavior I feel that more time is needed to see how she adjusts to the change in her persona now that the public is aware of her problems. I agree that there was a bit of snark in the response to her answers, but here again, I’m sure that personal experience justified that response to a professional chef and TV personality who gives the impression that she is an expert.

37. Coppertone
    Coppertone January 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm | | Reply

BlueLes I totally here you. I agree that her publicist was making all the deals with the drug company and with what she has to say. I saw a bit of fear in her face like she was not totally comfortable with what she was saying but in time that will dissipate. Oh my this has turned into a big mess.

Jan I think it is wonderful to honor those who advocate for us and the people you mentioned are all wonderful in my eyes too. Hopefully Paula can help others all though from what I have read many think she helped many get diabetes and will end up on the same drug as her making the drug company more money and in the end she will be filthy rich.

38. AmyT
    AmyT January 21, 2012 at 10:43 pm | | Reply

@BlueLes – Bingo! Her publicist was on the call. (They always are.) And I did suspect that her answers were very well-rehearsed.

@Jan – thanks for sharing the list of advocates who’ve helped you. I’m honored to be included!

@All – Here’s a really good editorial about the whole Paula Deen situation from the LA Times:

39. Sarah
    Sarah January 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm | | Reply

I guess maybe I would understand where you were coming from asking the questions with such judgement as you did if you weren’t a diabetic as well, not knowing the ins and outs of the disease, being like every other big media head that thinks they have a smidge of clue as to what diabetes really is. But you aren’t (or from what I’ve read from you here on DM). You are an insider… A fellow diabetic…. Another link in the DOC. And the attitude you have put forth in this article is very unprofessional and I am upset that you would treat her this way. When someone is hurt by media insensitivity in the DOC, we don’t cut them down but we encourage them. You did nothing to encourage her in the least. If I didn’t know better, it seems you have some other point you are trying to make here.
    Sorry that everyone isnt like you and were raised with food being tiny portions or rabbit food. Down here in the south, (or SE) we’re raised on corn bread, buttermilk biscuits made with lard, fried chicken and steak… All the unhealthy stuff… It’s how we are taught to eat and how to cook. And if you knew anything about her before this whole blowup, she had been trying to change her recipes to be healthier. But I see you practically skipped that information here.
    I applaud her for coming out about it when she did. She took the steps to disclose the information when the time was right FOR HER, not everyone else.
    And I think it would have been a much better article if you had spent the time maybe trying to help bring to light the changes she is making to be a better role model for diabetes rather than bring like every other media channel and pointing a finger at her.

1. Elijah
      Elijah January 31, 2012 at 5:10 am | | Reply

@Sarah: you’re playing the victim, and that is every bit as unhealthy as Paula Deen’s cooking.

2. Bing
      Bing February 7, 2012 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Seems like you are on the wrong board. A victims board would be better. Paula is in know way a good example to anyone. As far as food goes.

40. Marc
    Marc March 13, 2012 at 1:55 pm | | Reply

I admit I don’t know much about the drug, but Deen sure had the pharma-speak down pat. But if a drug is approved by the FDA, that gives everyone authority to say it should be prescribed.

1. Elijah
      Elijah March 14, 2012 at 7:43 am | | Reply

Only a doctor is qualified to say that a drug should or shouldn’t be prescribed; and even then, they are required to document due cause for the prescription. Case in point: Oxycodone is approved by the FDA. That does not bestow the authority to recommend that it be prescribed to you, me or Paula Deen. That authority belongs solely to doctors. A non-doctor can encourage people to ask their doctor about Oxycodone, but ethically speaking, they’re in a gray area.

41. How Paula Deen Can Advocate for People with Diabetes - Diabetes Daily Voices

[...] “Might as well eat that cookie.” Update: Amy Tenderich of DiabetesMine interviewed Paula yesterday. [...]