1. Nathan
    Nathan January 13, 2012 at 6:35 am | | Reply

It’s a novel development, and simple enough to warrant some study, but I think I’m more interested in faster, smarter insulin.

2. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter January 13, 2012 at 7:01 am | | Reply

The device is intriguing. So is the idea of smart insulin. But since the device is tangible and the development of the smart insulin still in the early stages, I would be satisfied with using the device until the insulin is available. I’ve never been very good with the whole “wait 20 minutes after bolussing to eat.” With the CGM I’m being advised to calibrate, wait 20, bolus, wait 20. Oops, mealtimes over with no time to eat. So I skip the latter and my blood sugar spikes, again.
    Incorporating the device with the pump would probably be best.

3. Lauren
    Lauren January 13, 2012 at 9:24 am | | Reply

Eek! Sounds good but 100 degrees? Is anyone else worried they might sweat the site off? I realize its only during a bolus, but I have enough trouble keeping my sites stuck for 3 days anyway (even with skin preps and tapes).

1. Donald
      Donald May 9, 2014 at 4:28 pm | | Reply

I sweat a lot I use a tape called HYPAFIX works great might be worth a try.

4. Elizabeth
    Elizabeth January 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm | | Reply

I can already hear my 4-year-old now: “Mom, it’s HOT. And it ITCHES. And it’s HOT! And I’m TOO LITTLE!” Those are his standard explanations for why there’s a problem with pretty much anything he doesn’t want to do, touch, or wear, and at least two of those are likely outcomes of this device.

5. Sandi
    Sandi January 14, 2012 at 10:56 pm | | Reply

It’s an interesting idea. However, I think it would be much simpler to just put a heated rice pack (or similar) over the site if you really need to knock down a high BG. Of course, that would be completely impractical anywhere but at home.

6. adam
    adam January 18, 2012 at 9:53 am | | Reply

My meal schedule on Dr. Bernstein’s diet is somewhat flexible. So long as I wait 5 or more hours since my last meal, that is. I can skip a meal if I want to. Of course, I will have to eat sugar if I’m doing physical work and skip eating a meal.

The only inflexible part is timing. I need to eat exactly 30 minutes after
    injecting my meal insulin. But that works well. I can prepare most meals in 20 to 30 minutes. If a meal takes longer to prepare, I just delay injecting insulin until half an hour before I plan to eat.

When I am away from home and only have half an hour to eat, then I
    make sure I have a Bernstein-compliant meal packed and ready to eat.

The bottom line is half-hour insulin timing is a PITA, true. But I can easily work around it. I just need to use a 30 minute countdown timer in case I get distracted. Otherwise, I might go off the deep-end, bloodsugar-wise.