1. Kim
    Kim January 12, 2012 at 6:20 am | | Reply

Eye-opening. Great post.

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell January 12, 2012 at 11:07 am | | Reply

Thanks Amy for pointing out the work done by AYUDA. It’s nice to know that we can also donate directly to them and support their work.

3. Lexi
    Lexi January 12, 2012 at 1:00 pm | | Reply

I just handed in an essay for Spanish class about the world epidemic of diabetes. The topic of the essay was a world problem what we would like to solve. I sooooo could have used this post for valuable information.

4. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston January 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm | | Reply

What a beautiful video. I have tears streaming down my face.

What inspiring work, AYUDA. !Juntos somos mas fuertes!

5. Jessica Apple
    Jessica Apple January 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm | | Reply

Merith and Amy,

Thank you for this post. Merith, I’m really happy to learn about AYUDA and the wonderful work you’re doing.

6. Erin Gilmer
    Erin Gilmer January 13, 2012 at 10:47 am | | Reply

Thank you for this post and your work.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in September 2002, exactly one week before my 20th birthday. At that time, I was studying economics with an international emphasis and the effects of Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS). In so studying I came across this 2000 study in the journal Lantus – Insulin for the Worlds Poorest Countries (http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2012/01/guide-entrepreneurs-doctors-attention.html) which states

“The life expectancy for a newly diagnosed patient with type 1 diabetes in some parts of Africa may be as short as 1 year.”

This information broke my heart and since then I have endeavored to become a health policy attorney focusing on issues of access to care. While many diseases receive international attention such as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, and other communicable diseases. Type 1 and other communicable diseases are neglected (as has been discussed by this blog before). I have my doubts that the statistic I read above has changed much, if at all, in the last 10 years.

The saddest part is the disparity between the cost of manufacturing insulin versus the price charged. Prices that are prohibitively expensive for many. If only we can make the same strides in negotiating prices as others have in the fight against other diseases so that all have access to these medicines.

Yet that alone will not be enough. As we know, insulin requires storage which is a barrier to many communities. Syringes need to be safely disposed of or if reused can spread other diseases. Meters need batteries. Education as she mentions is incredibly important, but resources for education and health literacy are barriers.

I believe that health is a human right. How can it be that just because I was born in a wealthy nation that I can live a full life even with my autoimmune diseases while others are facing a death sentence because they cannot get the care they need?

7. Erin Gilmer
    Erin Gilmer January 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm | | Reply

for some reason the link pasted was the wrong link. I do apologize. Here is the correct link to the study – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10752719

(Kevinmd.com is a great site – the article i incorrectly linked to is interesting to see how doctors are deciding to adopt health IT but it has absolutely nothing to do with this post)

8. Peter Nerothin
    Peter Nerothin January 17, 2012 at 8:00 pm | | Reply

Thank you Merith and AYUDA. You are truly a blessing to the world of diabetes. Amy, is it possible to get a guest post from David Beran as a follow up?