1. Laura Takach
    Laura Takach January 11, 2012 at 6:10 am | | Reply

DM Books

2. Kim
    Kim January 11, 2012 at 6:41 am | | Reply

i love DMBOOKS! and this sounds like one every PWD should read.

3. Johanna B
    Johanna B January 11, 2012 at 6:54 am | | Reply

I would love to read this book. DMBooks.

Thanks for the review. I’m always looking for something new in the field and this sounds like a book I would enjoy.

4. Shani
    Shani January 11, 2012 at 8:45 am | | Reply

DMBOOKS I am very interested in this subject and thank God everyday that I never discovered it during my own “disorderly” years.

5. Diabulimic
    Diabulimic January 11, 2012 at 9:01 am | | Reply

Thank you Marjeanne for this book. Finally someone is bringing this issue to light. I’ve suffered from diabulimia for 8 years and been hospitalized countless times for diabetic ketoacidosis with A1cs too high to measure. So much goes into it besides body image -its a very complex eating disorder. They understand the bulimia I had years before but not diabulimia. As such, I’ve found it very hard to find treatment for this disease.

Most doctors have no clue what this disease is. Some think it’s a suicide attempt. I’ve had to explain it on more than one occasion to doctors in and out of the hospitals. Many doctors will refuse to treat diabulimics. The line I most often here is that if I’m not willing to treat my diabetes, then they refuse to treat me. But the issue is not merely physical, it’s a mental disorder that must be addressed on several levels in a team approach. Yet many doctors are unwilling to recognize this nor want to take the time to understand and work with the diabulimic. I have found only two doctors that have helped me in this struggle that I would like to name here (at risk of breaking my anonymity)- Dr. Satish Garg at the Barbara Davis Center and Dr. Timothy Vachris at Texas Sports and Family Medicine. They have gained my trust through patience and understanding, making great efforts and going out of their way to help me.

The other issue at hand is that most therapists no nothing about type 1 diabetes. Not only do they not understand how the physical disease works, they have never heard of diabulimia. Thus sessions are spent educating the therapist instead of receiving help.

Books like this will help start a discussion and raise awareness. I hope that for those who might suffer from diabulimia in the future they will find more help than I have. I hope that those who work with diabetics and those with eating disorders will educate themselves and find treatment options. I hope that in understanding this disease perhaps we can prevent it or at least prevent the outcome – anything from retinopathy to death.

As for myself, I don’t know if I’ll find a path to healing as others have. I am working on it every day.

Thank you Maryjeanne and thank you Diabetes Mine for posting about this book.

6. marion
    marion January 11, 2012 at 9:59 am | | Reply

DMBooks

7. Amanda
    Amanda January 11, 2012 at 11:32 am | | Reply

DMBOOKS!! I would love to read this!

8. MfM
    MfM January 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm | | Reply

Can’t wait to read! DMBooks

9. Laura G.
    Laura G. January 11, 2012 at 8:03 pm | | Reply

DM Books. I would love to hear her story.

10. Craige McKenna
    Craige McKenna January 12, 2012 at 6:00 am | | Reply

“DMBooks”

Wow, I would love the chance to read this and experience what she was going through.

11. Alyssa
    Alyssa January 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm | | Reply

DMBooks

Sounds fascinating…

12. Adrienne Johnson
    Adrienne Johnson January 12, 2012 at 6:11 pm | | Reply

Thanks for sharing about this book, I would love to read it! DMBooks

13. Ellen
    Ellen January 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm | | Reply

As a social worker and advocate for persons with diabetes, I’d love to read this book. Thank you tp the author for writing it and sharing personal experience. DMBooks

14. Pam
    Pam January 13, 2012 at 7:54 am | | Reply

It is so helpful to hear about others struggles and how they have overcome. It is so easy to fool ourselves and easy to berate ourselves…. “still don’t have it figured out”. Thank you for this book! DMBooks

15. Pat McNees
    Pat McNees January 13, 2012 at 9:08 am | | Reply

Correction: Foreword, not Forward, by ….

16. Cito
    Cito January 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm | | Reply

I would love to win this book. I myself have struggled with this myself. DM Books!

17. AmyT
    AmyT January 13, 2012 at 2:35 pm | | Reply

@Pat – thanks! So you scour the internet copy-editing random posts? Wow… we could use you on a daily basis, I’m sure :)

18. Josie
    Josie January 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm | | Reply

First I’ve heard of this disorder, so I’m grateful to DMBooks for this review. A a therapist, and T2 for 2 1/2 years now, I can begin to understand the complexity of what the author went through. Her struggle and eventual success over such a debilitating and all-encompassing combination highlights her evident resiliency.

19. Ann
    Ann January 15, 2012 at 9:02 am | | Reply

I saw the term (diabulemia) in another publication and was amazed that a name has been given to this crazy method of weight loss. I believe it’s been around forever–I call it “purposeful miscalculation of carb intake”; but, diabulemia sounds much more official. Would love to receive this “DMBooks” publication!!

20. Ell
    Ell May 7, 2012 at 5:10 am | | Reply

I had diabulimia long before there was any recognition of it, let alone a name for this devastating condition. Joslin people had no clue to what to do with me. Some eating disorder programs rejected me because of my dangerous behavoirs. Now I have many complications including a partial leg amputation. I am living on borrowed time for sure.

21. Resources & Support for Diabulimia