1. Roselady
    Roselady January 20, 2012 at 6:19 am | | Reply

Loved this piece. I love to get all the different perspectives, i.e. spouse married to a t-1. I’m a parent of a t-1. Thanks for sharing…enjoyed reading.

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell January 20, 2012 at 7:40 am | | Reply

Thanks Jackie, this Bernard sounds like a great guy. ;-)

FYI, Jackie and I celebrated our 20th dating anniversary last year. As she says, God bless Dr. Jackson. I was fortunate enough to meet him last year and thank him in person.

I’m starting to enjoy the next 20 years together.

3. Kristin W
    Kristin W January 20, 2012 at 8:14 am | | Reply

Congratulations, Bernard and Jackie! Sounds like a wonderful love that you share. Thanks for sharing your story – gives me hope that I might one day find someone who will love me, warts, diabetes and all.

4. AmyT
    AmyT January 20, 2012 at 9:28 am | | Reply

Hey Bernard (aka great guy),

My husband and I celebrated our 20-yr anniversary last year too — and I just realized, NINE of them with diabetes in the picture.

Wow! Makes me feel old, and also very fortunate in many ways.

5. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins January 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm | | Reply

Absolutely loved this guest-post! Thanks so much for sharing that perspective and the stories starting with dating back in Zero Year! Reminds me a lot of how Suz and I started dating and some of those initial moments… and here we are, though only starting our second decade together after the zero year. And thanks for that tidbit about the Joslin program that I wasn’t aware of before. Bernard, I see now where the inspiration for your greatness is at. :)

6. Miriam
    Miriam January 21, 2012 at 7:10 am | | Reply

A great insight into a loving relationship and life with a diabetic. You’re a great girl, Jackie! And we love you too!

7. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson February 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm | | Reply

I love this.

We are all incredibly blessed to have Bernard in our lives. Thank you, Jackie, for taking such good care of him. :-)

8. Carmen
    Carmen February 19, 2012 at 10:40 pm | | Reply

Hello. I’m new to this world, an alien so to speak, who is trying to learn a new language and understand a different culture. I’m glad I found you! I come in peace, though not totally peacefully.

My husband and I have been together for over 32 years and it wasn’t just that he was from Mars and I was from Venus. We both spoke English, but neither of us spoke Diabetic as illustrated by my non-response to his long-ago statement, “I had diabetes in my teens.” This past December, after routine blood work, our doctor told my husband he had Type 2 diabetes. A “low dose” medication was prescribed twice a day, a caution to “cut out the sweets” was given, and my husband was scheduled for an upcoming class at the hospital. In the meantime he should get a kit and test his blood twice a day.

As you know, a lot has changed in our lives. The most frustrating part is the general response “it’s no big deal, just watch what you eat and take your meds. If it gets too high, just take a shot.” I shouldn’t let this bother me because until it hit home, there’s no telling what I might have said.

We went to the class and spent three hours with the specialist and the nutritionist. We got a lot of personal attention. Nobody else showed up. We left with answers, questions, literature, and the assurance that we shouldn’t worry, the medication could be increased and that “yes, down the road, you’ll probably need insulin injections.”

We read the literature and bought a carb book, made bigger food and testing charts, and a friend gave us a recipe for blackberry cobbler made with Splenda that was especially good served hot with sugar-free ice cream.

I checked out the ADA website and whatever else I could find and got even more confused. It seems like everything is a setup for failure and we should accept failure. This idea is reinforced by the ads on TV for the latest, greatest medication and all the supplies we’ll need delivered to our door. I just don’t want to have no option but to juggle diets and numbers and “see what works” and wait for something to mysteriously change and then figure out what might work next time. I don’t want the answer to everything to be more medication.

If anybody has made it this far, Thank You! I’m just letting off steam to a group of people who have probably heard it all before. You’ve lived with and found solutions to things I don’t even know we’ll be facing. I hope you can see the lighter side of my steam and laugh at me and tell me this isn’t rocket science!

To end tonight, I want to say that we found a book that makes us feel as though we have more control. It explains what’s going on very well and seems logical. We’re in the first week of their program and so far the numbers are looking better. Our next class is Thursday and more blood work will be done in a month or two if nothing drastic happens. We’ll take each step carefully. We’ve been trying to have fun, making it like some kind of game and trying to use imagination with our menus.

If anyone has read the book The Diabetes Miracle by Diane Kress, I am interested in your comments.

Again, thank you for your time and patience. This has helped. I’m glad I found you!!