1. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter January 21, 2012 at 10:37 am | | Reply

12 boluses? 3-4 I assume are for meals? Are the other 8-9 food or corrections? Could tweaking the bolus ratio or the basal settings get him off the roller coaster?

My CDE and endo have learned to worry less about protocols. I change my settings more often than advised, often several at a time. That’s why I prefer a pump to Lantus. My insulin needs and my life change constantly and unpredictably. Making one change then waiting a week before making the next would mean the only constant in my life would be misery. I try to fix things and then go on to the more important stuff. Sometimes they help me figure out how to fix things.

2. susan f
    susan f January 21, 2012 at 11:42 am | | Reply

If you have good numbers, and relatively stable control, roll with it.

For me, if I want to change, I know it’s going to take time and adjustment period – and I don’t always literally have time to go through that if my current settings are technically working.

For example, I only do boot camp before lunch, because I can maintain a 140 blood sugar start to finish if I haven’t had carbs yet that day. I want to learn how to accomodate the same for an evening workout, but just don’t have the time right now. What I am doing works; fixing it would give me more flexibility on my schedule, but it’s not end of the world.

You have to choose your battles!

3. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston January 21, 2012 at 7:14 pm | | Reply

Wil, you are a fbreath of fresh air!!!

(ps I bolus a lot, sometimes throughout a meal, as I decide how much more I may want, or if find more of something like a potato in my mouth – I mean, inside a large vegetable stir-fry I’ve made)

1. Mary Fairweather Dexter
      Mary Fairweather Dexter January 21, 2012 at 10:01 pm | | Reply

Another good explanation for the extra boluses.

4. MariaCDE
    MariaCDE January 24, 2012 at 9:15 am | | Reply

Susan, well said. It’s important to learn to use your insulin pump’s features so that you accomplish the most important goal–maintaining target BGs fasting and 1 to 2 hours after meals. Everyone starts from a different place. As you said, you accomplished your goal of maintaining target BG for lunch, and when you’re ready to tackle the next goal which is doing the same incorporating a PM workout, you’ll do that. For others who want basics, if that means using only 10% of the pump’s features, that’s great as long as the goal of target BGs is met.

As for the multiple boluses, I’ve worked with young children using pumps, and that works great for them. If someone is a grazer, the multiple boluses make sense. Now if the reason for the multiple boluses is to correct high BGs, the questions you want to ask yourself are ‘Does my basal have to be adjusted for this time of day?’ ‘Is there a pattern as to when these high BGs occur?’ If it’s after eating, then usually it’s your meal bolus that needs adjusting, or lowering your carb intake if it’s excessive. If the high BGs occur more than 2 hours after eating, closer to your next meal, then it’s more than likely your basal dose. Of course, the only way these questions will be answered is is to check your BGs pre and between 1 to 2 hours post meal.

5. Ruth Deming
    Ruth Deming January 27, 2012 at 7:53 am | | Reply

Benzos. I had bipolar disorder for 20 yrs and was on the benzo Klonopin – generic name clonazepam – for 20 yrs. Believe me, my anxiety was off the charts and I really needed it. When my bipolar d/o went away, my shrink helped me TAPER OFF. It’s super-important not to cold-turkey off, as grandma’s story above illustrates. For me, tapering was easy and I was benzo-free in 5 weeks. No side effects. But, Megan, you must be very careful. Everyone’s body is different. Get a good taper-schedule – it’s officially called ‘titration’ – with the help of a professional. Good luck!