1. K.Boruff
    K.Boruff December 8, 2011 at 6:40 am | | Reply

AMEN Sister! I feel you on this! I have been diabetic for 35 yrs. and still get “off track” when I am out of my routine. I even struggle when I am off of work because I sleep later, eat at different times and forget to take the pills prescribed on top of the insulin. Thank goodness my pump is attached or I might forget that too sometimes! It’s a struggle to find some kind of balance between living life and maintaining decent control. One day at a time is all I think we can expect and know that none of us are perfect!

2. kim
    kim December 8, 2011 at 7:40 am | | Reply

procrastination – my middle name! at least until recently! i am really trying to make a concious effort to put me and my diabetes first. for many years, we (D and me) have always come second. second to my family, to my home, to my work. and then one day (probably shortly after triple bypass surgery) it hit me. if i don’t start putting me first, i won’t be around to look after my family, my home or to do the work i enjoy. so there you have it.

3. Lauren
    Lauren December 8, 2011 at 1:05 pm | | Reply

You would think it would be second nature huh!??! So bizaare.

4. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter December 8, 2011 at 2:08 pm | | Reply

What appears to be procrastination is actually the result of trying to fit all the things we should “just do” into 24 hours. The list of things we are told we should “just do” grows ever longer, yet as diabetics we don’t “just do” even the most mundane things, like eat and sleep, work, etc. Complicating this is the invisible nature of the disease and our learned ability to cope with difficulties, in an apparently effortless manner,while concurrently managing to fix or avoid hypo/hyperglycemia. This often results in others expecting us to solve their problems as well [we're so good at that sort of thing] and resenting when we take care of ourselves rather than them. In a mere 24 hours, we do not have time for the combined guilt of not maintaining perfect control of our lives and not meeting their needs and expectations.

5. dargirl
    dargirl December 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm | | Reply

Procrastinations are not only Diabetes related. For me it was fear related. Had a tooth that was hurting me. I took pain meds to help with the pain. I ate on one side of my mouth, because I did not want it to hurt. I ran every fear through my brain about what the Dentist would do to fix it. Would it be an extraction, a root canal…. fear fear fear. For months I did this. I put everything else possible in front of just going to see the Dentist.

Finally I made the call for the appointment. And with minutes the tooth was filled and I have no pain. Fear makes me PROCRATINATE.

6. Carmen
    Carmen December 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm | | Reply

As an outsider, I see friends and family cope with their diabetes as an additional “life” beyond the ordinary hassles of daily living. It is like watching someone play two chess matches, one that everyone plays, and another that is only for you called diabetes. One is tough enough, but an equally unpredictable challenge that is life-threatening is beyond my ken. The fact that you have managed it for over 18 years is a triumph. Take heart.

1. Emily
      Emily December 9, 2011 at 1:02 pm | | Reply

Thank you so much for that analogy, Carmen! I’d say you hit the nail right on the head. We with diabetes all know we’re juggling for dear life, but there’s something extra heartening (to me, at least) about an “outsider” understanding that so well.

7. Cara
    Cara December 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm | | Reply

I’ve been pumping for 5 1/2 years now. And in the past month, I’ve run my pump “dry” of insulin TWICE. Life just gets in the way sometimes. And it’s hard enough to juggle life, let alone adding a chronic illness into the mess. :/
    Same thing with all of my travel this year (and all my, “I’ll get back on track when….”).

8. Laura G.
    Laura G. December 9, 2011 at 7:39 am | | Reply

Yes to all of this…My work (classical violin performance, on stage and in rehearsal or teaching classes daily; seven day weeks are the norm) does not permit diabetes breaks or “excuse me’s” much less onstage hypoglycemia or high-induced fatigue. Since my professional life is kind of a high-wire act I actually don’t forget stuff very often. Keeping the stakes high seems to help with that :) BUT, here’s what I seem to have done to myself after two years with my Dexcom…I’ve slowly let my average daily running-around-working BGs rise into the safe and easy 140-150 zone, rather than in that hypervigilant 90-110 zone. And, what do you know, my A1C has risen accordingly and I’m up near 7. Not OK, and I pretty much did it on purpose! Arrgh. Trying to turn it around now during ultra-busy season. Two chess games, indeed. Thanks for writing about this stuff, it helps.

1. Mary Dexter
      Mary Dexter December 9, 2011 at 11:17 am | | Reply

I know exactly what you mean. I’m a substitute teacher during the day/actor at night, currently rehearsing one show while performing another. I try to keep my levels in that sweet spot or my brain just doesn’t work.

9. Emily
    Emily December 9, 2011 at 1:16 pm | | Reply

Thanks so much for writing this, Allison. I’ve had type 1 for 34 years, and still find myself out without backup insulin, glucotabs, test strips fairly often. I’m glad it’s not just me!