1. Allison
    Allison December 24, 2011 at 8:17 am | | Reply

As far as Starbucks goes, I LOVE getting an Americano (espresso with hot water) with heavy whipping cream poured in. This is carb-free and DELICIOUS… I can’t imagine getting any other drink there anymore!
    I am not a fan of their coffee but they do espresso well!

2. Sandi
    Sandi December 24, 2011 at 8:58 am | | Reply

I drink the skinny Cinnamon Dolce latte all the time. I don’t have diabetes (my daughter does) but I choose the skinny to cut calories. They are delicious!! Love love love them.

3. riva
    riva December 24, 2011 at 11:55 am | | Reply

I only use half and half in my coffee now because it’s practically carb-free. If I want a cappuccino I ask for less milk and know I have to factor for the carbs.

As as for remaining positive with diabetes, I tend to say you can have a great life not despite, but because of diabetes – if you use it to get healthier and appreciate what you have in your life – as sometimes illness can prompt you to do.

I imagine some people think I’m crazy, and sometimes when people write nasty comments it hurts, but I realize people are where they are. I agree with Wil, don’t take the criticism to heart, let people be where they are and bring along those with you who are open to it.

4. susan f
    susan f December 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm | | Reply

I second the recommendation for coffee and/or espresso and heavy cream.

For latte’s, I PREbolus. Meaning, I have to bolus 15-20m early for liquid sugar. Be careful with pre-bolusing, as you can get low if you aren’t careful and/or timely.

I also don’t do skinny; the fatter the milk, the better my blood sugar handles it, maybe because it can slightly delay absorption. I’d prefer to do whole fat milk + sugar free syrup over a ‘skinny’ (skim milk + sugar free syrup).

Also, starbucks makes but doesn’t advertise ‘short’ drinks (smaller than a tall).

For some reason, I always need a little extra insulin for liquid sugar. Like if my carb ratio is 10g/unit; I might do 8g/unit for liquid. Your mileage may vary.

5. mar
    mar December 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm | | Reply

I have type 2, and my starbucks drinkof choice is usually decaf coffee (sometimes americano) with half and half. They do have sugar free syrups, but those tend to make my tummy unhappy:(
    (I have gastroparesis and dont know whether the syrups irritate or what-YMMV)
    Also, at the starbucks I got to ,one of the baristas has Type 1, and I will ask him for recs on drinks for when I get my “free drink”card-he suggested a skinny peppermint mocha-which was SOO good-I admit I didnt test after as I was walking around, and it’s not like I’m gonna have it on a regular basis, but I could not give up starbucks:D atm!

6. Chasb
    Chasb December 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm | | Reply

I personally prefer a good double espresso, no sugar. I have been known to fall asleep on the spot after two. I am at peace with my diabetes. Sure, I have to be reasonably careful, but so should everyone. (They aren’t). My biggest complaint? “You shouldn’r have that, you’re a diabetic”

7. Noah
    Noah December 25, 2011 at 8:32 pm | | Reply

Not to burst anyone’s bubble, but even heavy whipping cream contains carbs. You’ll frequently see the “nutritional data” on cartons say that it has 0 grams of carbs, but that’s for a 15ml, AKA 1 tablespoon, AKA 1/2 a fluid ounce, sized serving. And, all that means is that said serving size contains under 0.5g of carbohydrates. For heavy whipping cream, it’s usually around 0.4g of carbs per tablespoon. So, suppose you have a small latte, and it ends up with 6 oz (12 tablespoons) of cream in it. 12 * 0.4 = 4.8g of carbs.

That’s not a ton of carbs, but certainly something to take into account. There’s also the fact that the heavy cream contains lots of fat (yummy), which generally slows down the rate at which the carbs hit the blood stream (yay!). When I do have coffee, these days, I usually go for the heavy cream, but it’s useful to keep in mind that there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

8. Noah
    Noah December 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm | | Reply

Even heavy whipping cream contains carbs. You’ll frequently see the “nutritional data” on cartons say that it has 0 grams of carbs, but that’s for a 15ml, AKA 1 tablespoon, AKA 1/2 a fluid ounce, sized serving. And, all that means is that said serving size contains under 0.5g of carbohydrates. For heavy whipping cream, it’s usually around 0.4g of carbs per tablespoon. So, suppose you have a small latte, and it ends up with 6 oz (12 tablespoons) of cream in it. 12 * 0.4 = 4.8g of carbs.

9. Allison
    Allison December 28, 2011 at 9:36 am | | Reply

Good point about the carbs. I’m not in the tightest control so I’m not going to bolus just for 1-2 grams in the hwc. But thanks for the notification ;)

10. susan f
    susan f December 29, 2011 at 9:48 am | | Reply

Yikes, I can’t imagine drinking 6 oz of heavy cream; I think the point is that you use LESS heavy cream than you would milk!!!

11. Ruth Deming
    Ruth Deming December 30, 2011 at 3:58 am | | Reply

if the decaf is delicious – like starbux and dunkin donuts – i drink it black. love the flavor! i got type 2 this year – insulin-dependent – after having a kidney t’plant. taking lithium for bipolar d/o for 17 yrs ruined my kidneys. the antirejection meds caused the diabetes. look, i’m glad to be alive. if i feel like complaining, i’ll write a poem and blog it.

Wil, thank you SO MUCH for your helpful witty columns & minor use of cursing. Yes! thanks for telling us we can reuse our expensive lancets – i test about 7 or 8 times a day. what about the needles? i’ve been reusing them twice a day. any thoughts on this?

12. Ryan Vradenburg
    Ryan Vradenburg January 26, 2012 at 12:09 pm | | Reply

I often worry about individuals that seem to default to the “path of least resistance” when faced with making choices in the moment. Im T1 and worked for the *bucks for 10 years. I often wonder why PWD do not seem to take the time to research their diet choices more often. I once had a regular customer that was against taking insulin for his T1. He kept trying to convince me that he was controlling it completely with diet. Great, I thought, except for the fact that he looked like a rotting corpse. I think too many options have made it hard for someone to ask questions about what they should have. I like to have my double tall (two shots instead of one), extra dry (a lot more foam than milk), soy (it affects my BG differently than milk), cinnamon powder (if you are really nice and tip, the barista can steam some cinnamon in with the milk. ONly if your nice), tall cappuccino. I get my iconic lil white and green paper cup and my caffeine fix with lil impact on my BG.