1. Jasmine
    Jasmine November 11, 2011 at 8:18 am | | Reply

A VERY mild case of gastroparesis was actually one of my symptoms that indicated that I had diabetes! Sorry for the following TMI: I would wake up some nights feeling sick and vomit up basically everything I ate many hours before, and it was completely undigested. I saw a GI on a referral from my PCP when I was diagnosed, and he thought it was related to diabetes. I haven’t had it happen since (knock on wood), and hope it continues that way. It was not fun.

2. Lynda M O
    Lynda M O November 11, 2011 at 10:48 am | | Reply

My sister suffers with this. I hope she will take a bit of time and share her experiences; it’s been nearly three years since she was Dx’ed with the Gastroparesis and closer to a decade with the Diabetes.

She takes very good care of her Sugars and eats an extremely limited diet yet still when Gastroparesis knocks on her door she is miserable until it goes into a little remission and gives her a break for a short time.

1. Tim Tight
      Tim Tight November 11, 2011 at 10:58 am | | Reply

Lynda, does your sister live anywhere near Newport Beach? Would love to talk.

Tim Tight
      650-291-8862
      tim.tight@diabetes.net

3. Tim Tight
    Tim Tight November 11, 2011 at 10:55 am | | Reply

Allison,

We have a patient who had very bad gastroparesis as well as neuropathy and a number of other symptoms. In our Newport Beach Clinic after two sessions of our Artificial Pancreas Treatment he could feel his feet again and after three sessions the neuropathy pains went away.

He also reported that he no longer has problems with gastroparesis. I would love to chat with you about how we get the word out about this therapy.

Since we have a fabulous track record reversing diabetic neuropathy, I am wondering if we could deliver the same results for gastroparesis.

Tim Tight
    650-291-8862
    tim.tight@diabetes.net

4. Kelly Booth
    Kelly Booth November 11, 2011 at 11:15 am | | Reply

Great article! I just wanted to add that sometimes having whacky BS can show up years before some of the more noticeable symptoms. I had an upper GI that showed my food was digesting slowly. That was 8 years before any other symptoms showed up. Unfortunately, that test got buried in my doctor’s file and it was never discussed with me – I found out years later when my doctor left the group and I requested my records. Once the other symptoms showed up, I went to a gastroenterologist and had the gastric emptying test done.

My gastroparesis is on the severe side but I will not take Reglan and choose to follow the gastroparesis diet and use a lot of liquid meals. I would suggest anyone being subscribed Reglan do some reading up on it. My sister is a nurse and told me about it when they gave that to me. Since I was given a script for it, they have now come out and said that the side effects from it might be permanent. They are some nasty side effects. There is a drug in Canada called Domperidome. Some US doctors will prescribe it but it is expensive and not covered by insurance. I have talked to some people that really like it.

I take a small amount of my meal insulin before I eat otherwise, my BS goes high. I take 2 other shots after meals. I test my BS hourly to try and watch when my BS goes up. If you can get a CGMS, that will alert you when your BS starts going up so you know when to take insulin.

5. Toni Miller
    Toni Miller November 11, 2011 at 8:06 pm | | Reply

Thanks for sharing! Nice post to explain this monster most of us have experienced already. I am on Reglan PRN.

6. Verna
    Verna November 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm | | Reply

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis in September (I’ve had diabetes for almost 20 years). I had no idea that this was even a possibility – I was one who always thought the nerve damage was limited to the extremities! I happened to stumble across an article on one of the diabetes sites about the connection between diabetes and gastroparesis the day after telling my friend it felt like my food was sitting in my stomach and not going anywhere (my doctor’s appointment had already been scheduled for the following week).
    My GI doctor explained the potential side effects of the Reglan and put me on a very low dosage. I haven’t had any problems with it, but I can certainly tell when I’ve forgotten it! I take care of the gastroparesis similarly to how I take care of the diabetes: I pay attention to what I’m eating, take my medicine, and prepare myself for when what I’m eating (say a calzone) is going to cause trouble….and enjoy the calzone anyway. Not necessarily the best tactic, but I want to work with my body, and she’s going to have to listen to me if she wants me to listen to her. I can usually tell when it’s acting up (based on how my stomach feels) and I’ll eat something lighter on those days. I also use an insulin pump and CGM to watch when the food is hitting my system. I am eternally grateful for the dual wave bolus feature and use it all the time.

Thank you for including this in your 411, Allison.

7. Sue
    Sue November 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm | | Reply

Along time ago I too a medication called propulsid for gastric emptying, then it was taken off the market due to problems regarding heart damage if I remember correctly. It worked great. Now I take reglan 4x per day and hope I never develop those terrible side effects. I’ve been taking it for about 20 years now. I never had problems with vomiting, just bloating, emptying, and blood sugar problems. I know I need to use the dual and square wave boluses more but I’m not that well informed about them. I have used an insulin pump since the MiniMed 506 was out in the early 90′s. In my experience, all barium tests are not necessarily conclusive if negative, I had one that was negative years ago, then positive at another time. I think our stomachs work well at times and worse at other times.

8. Helene colon-Raphael
    Helene colon-Raphael February 3, 2012 at 1:28 am | | Reply

I have been successfully taking domperidom since mid november 2011. I was diagnosed last march with gastroparisis and 25 years ago with type 1 diabetes. Gastroparsis has been life altering and very depressing for me! I got my life back after biotech to my stomach and domperidom.

9. Brian
    Brian February 20, 2013 at 1:10 am | | Reply

i would like to know what are some of the test that can be done to test for gastroenteritis i have had diabetes for 6 years and my blood sugar is up and down and for the last 10 days i have not been able to eat sold food when i do i get so sick and start throwing my dr Monday put me on a liquid diet and i have been eating jello and Popsicle and drinking sprite and im going to try chicken broth today the clear liquid ends today what would you guys say i start out eating to try to see if i can handle food and would you say to get tested for gastroentertis

10. Don@gastroparesis
    Don@gastroparesis February 23, 2013 at 4:38 am | | Reply

My wife has Gastroparesis and she has to eat small amounts throughout the day or she can’t hold it down. They said it was all in her head for 11 years before they found out what was causing it. Told her to see a shrink. Sheesh.

11. Brian
    Brian February 24, 2013 at 12:04 am | | Reply

they put me on a drug called Raglan and it seems to be helping i started it last week and i have not throwed up sinch i have been taking it that is a good thing and my belly has not been hurting so im hoping its helping

12. Tom
    Tom January 18, 2014 at 10:23 pm | | Reply

I’ve had it for 15 years and have run through the entire gamut of tests and treatments three times now. Bad sugars make gastroparesis worsen and gastroparesis makes obtaining good glucose control impossible. Now I get just one solid meal a day, and still glucose control is neigh impossible.

But wait – there is more. One complication that goes along with a damaged vagus nerve (the culprit for diabetic gastroparesis) is diabetic diarrhea. For me it is like IBS on steroids. I’d be interested to read an article or two on this complication that so many people with diabetes have but one that is never discussed.