1. Meg
    Meg November 7, 2011 at 7:48 am | | Reply

Great idea for fundraising and raising awareness. I really want to love it! However, I disagree very much with the accompanying slogan. Type I and Type II are NOT one disease. They are two diseases with a common treatment goal. Too complicated for the symbol I know, but doesn’t the slogan “One disease. One world…” mislead the public? I mean there is plenty of confusion in the first place. Sometimes I even have to explain to medical professionals that though I don’t take much insulin, I am in fact not going to be able to quit taking it. That truly is the extent of ignorance about the difference between Type I and Type II.

1. Mary Fairweather Dexter
      Mary Fairweather Dexter November 7, 2011 at 8:09 am | | Reply

And this is precisely why we need at least the amount of awareness as pink = breast cancer awareness. Imagine how much easier (and healthier) all our lives would be if the world was aware of more than just the myths.

2. Jeanne
    Jeanne November 7, 2011 at 9:13 am | | Reply

At our Orange County JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes yesterday, in the kids craft area we made holiday ornament…Blue bead circles with “World Diabetes Day” November 14″ glued in the center!

3. Andrea
    Andrea November 7, 2011 at 10:08 am | | Reply

Great article! Having the blue circle would be very much like the pink ribbon. As soon as you see it you know what it means. I know that if any one can get everyone to recognize the blue circle the diabetes community can.

4. Melinda
    Melinda November 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm | | Reply

Hmm…not only do I see the blue circle in Microsoft Windows, I see it in Firefox, too. Are you sure you have rights to do this?

5. Mark-John Clifford
    Mark-John Clifford November 7, 2011 at 4:59 pm | | Reply

Seems like more and more the circle takes away form others. Whether it is wording or identity. As much as people want unity, why would we want unity from an organization that really doesn’t support the United States in its efforts to fight diabetes?

6. shannon
    shannon November 7, 2011 at 8:19 pm | | Reply

clever graphic with the blue circle and pink ribbons there.

when we wore our blue circle logo shirts to our first JDRF walk last year, we had SO MANY people asking us what it stood far, since they had never seen it before. i’m all for uniting under a common logo.

7. Lee Ann Thill
    Lee Ann Thill November 8, 2011 at 6:01 am | | Reply

Thinking back to our group discussion in San Diego, I am so happy to see how you’ve developed a campaign for this! I agree with all of your points, and would like to piggyback, and say it’s ridiculous that blue circle merchandise is so hard to get. I made t-shirts on cafepress because I wanted a t-shirt, although I wasn’t sure if cafepress would tell me I couldn’t do it since it’s not my symbol. Just this week, I was asked how to get a blue circle pin. It’s absurd to me that someone has to ask around about getting something as simple as a little pin.

And now I’m getting all frustrated writing about it, lol! I will snag the banner for my website, and I’ll be posting about it soon. Thanks for spearheading this initiative, Amy!

8. Karen Rose Tank
    Karen Rose Tank November 11, 2011 at 4:58 am | | Reply

Let’s face it… Diabetes is not sexy! No one- virtually- knows the difference between type 1 and 2.. and there is a stigma for people with type 2 that they did something to bring on their diabetes… so it is their fault. When I tell people I have type 1… they look at me and ask, ” So how fat were you?” Then I go into my type 1 is not type 2 shpeal!

After 15 years with type 1, I reinvented my career and am a health and nutrition coach for people with diabetes… both kinds… and run support groups for both kinds. Huge difference in the feeling of empowerment to own up to your disease. Type 2s certainly do NOT go around being proud of and broadcasting their disease. They are ashamed.

With breast cancer.. like type 1… we can claim that we did not do anything to bring our disease upon our selves… IT happened to us. Type 2 is not the same. I totally agree that it would be wonderful to MAKE TYPE 1 DIABETES SEXY! Then we might get the incredible attention and supportive movement behind us that breast cancer has. I think the Team Type 1 groups have all helped in this movement. We do need more of it. Thanks for the discussion, Amy and others!

9. Prospects Look Poor for a Diabetes Google Doodle | SweetInfo

[...] the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) website, just as we had called for in our advocacy campaign last November (diabetes awareness month). Kudos to AADE! The Blue Circle is still conspicuously absent from the [...]